Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. To post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.

Event on now: Q&A on Prescription drug use, misuse and dependence.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Coz

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 am

I’ve got a major problem that’s getting worst with cocaine use. I know I need help and that’s why I am here, but dont know how to talk to someone about it..
    0 x
    Jack23

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

hi @Coz

Welcome to the forum and thank you for reaching out for support.

The first step is to share your story here. The forum is anonymous and confidential, it is also a safe space and a non-judgmental community.

Take your time, read stories that interest you and when your ready let other members what your going through.

Take Care.
    Jack 23.
    1 x
    LBurgo

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 pm

I realised I had a problem with alcohol when I almost lost my job and my relationship with my partner and my children. Drinking every night just became normal for me but when I go out it’s a lot more than that. Now I black out a lot.....I need to turn this around before I loose the people I love and care for so much
    0 x
    Cat7

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:35 am

Hi @LBurgo
    Good on you for realizing its becoming a problem and reaching out for support. Sounds like so many things in your life have been effected and now is your opportunity to make some changes.

Our website has some really good info on starting to make a change like preparing to cut down, managing cravings and getting some professional support.
    https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/ho ... self-help

Goodluck and please keep posting and reaching out for support.
    Cat7
    0 x
    Trying2019

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 pm

@Mia12345 I am much the same, I always knew my drinking was an issue, really from 16. But its only about 28+ that people would joke about it. I am 33 now too and it is something I cannot kick. I have times I do better than others but generally I either like drinking too much, or like using drinking too much as an explanation. Either way i am drinking.
    0 x
    Trying2019

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:45 pm

@@Jack23 I have been thinking about your comment that the reasons to drink can be - to have fun, to celebrate, to relieve stress, to forget trauma or to quench a hard earned thirst. And that drinking is the end result of our problems, it sometimes can look like being the problem, but in reality, it is the stuff it is covering up that really needs to be worked on. But After so much thought I cannot agree; not when it comes to me. The biggest problem I have is I drink, I like to drink. I have always used drinking as some kind of response to something. We forget lots of people drink in a healthy manner, or a manner which is considered healthy. I think my single biggest issue is I do not know how to drink in a healthy manner, second is I like to drink too much that drinking unhealthily is not a deterrent to me.

0 x
    Jack23

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 pm

hi @Trying2019

I'm glad my post prompted some thought about why we drink.

So what is drinking covering up and would dealing with those issues help in the amount and way you drink?

Jake23
    0 x
    Simply me

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am

Hi @Trying2019
    Just a few ponderings in my experience....I always thought my drinking was keeping a lid on or 'helping me manage' challenging /difficult emotions, and for a time it did I guess in a way?! You do what gets you through stuff at a given point, till other tools arise / are offered up eh. Its a big part of Australian culture too. Then someone, yep a counsellor, told me it's considered to actually be an emotional disinhibitor aka our emotions are brought to the surface /enhanced by it. Shift in wrapping my head around that one! I had enjoyed it, and felt it was a chill pill for me, but now I think about it, I can kinda see that viewpoint for some days o drinking quite clearly. Especially during the come downs when I was sobering up, or levels dropping, nasty. 3am wake ups eeek! Now I'm learning to 'observe' distress, or cravings, when they arise. Not comfy at times, depending on whats going on in life. Trying to create a toolbox to rabbit out of hat from as needed, including speaking up n out, as you are. Congrats!
    Blessings n good vibes....
    1 x
    Trying2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Appreciate your post @Simply me and @Jack23 I have given it a lot of thought. I feel boredom and loneliness may be huge contributing factors into why I may be drinking in excess. The loneliness is a harder one to pin down as I am surrounded by friends, family but nonetheless definitely think its a part of it. Drinking once upon a time was a social thing for me and now it is so anti social but I feel I still do it with some nostalgia from those social days.
    0 x
    Katiee

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:58 pm

There where so many times that I realised it was a problem for me but I never listened to what I was doing. I did so many things I wouldn't have normally done. My biggest wake up was last year when I started using quite regularly and it just over took my life and me. Instead of stopping though I just took more because I believed the drug was all that I had left.

That being said I am clean now
    1 x
    Nate89

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:27 pm

I was always able to manage my drug use (weed, coke, benzos etc) but with Ice I find that I CANT say no. Even when I really want to have a break from it, as soon as the thought sneaks into my head that's it - there's no saying "No"... losing that control is when I knew I had a problem..
    0 x
    James1995

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm

I'd say part of me has known for a long time but I've just been too afraid to say anything or find help, up until yesterday, when I woke up with no recollection of the night before where I was drinking alone, red wine all over the couches, carpets and walls. So now I'm trying to find help and work out how to start.
    1 x
    Scamp

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi @James1995,

We start on the same day mate. Hoping last weekends bender was the last one. Know the problems has been getting worse
    over the last few years, thought I could manage it myself, but who was I kidding. There is always an excuse for another drink.

I did the online chat and was given the number for nearest DASSA counselling services near my area. Called them up and
    they were very nice and got an appointment for early next week.

To kick it off I'm going to visit my GP tomorrow (as advised on the call to DASSA) to start managing my alcohol addiction.

Good luck all, keep strong.
    2 x
    izy3

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi @Scamp , good luck with the appointment tomorrow. You have already taken a BIG first step for your goal. Keep on going.
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience”