Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • What Motivates You

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Justme_au

What Motivates You

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Hello All
    I got this email about posting a topic on what motivates me to try my very best to not drink;
    Well long story but after 2 years non stop drinking, this Xmas just gone I got so drunk I missed Xmas, I disappointed my grand kids, my kids my wife, need I go on. I was also so sick thought that it was the end of my life.
    so now I keep photos of them next to computer and on fridge; I went to my doctor he is helping me as well . I did slip new years day but not had one since and plan to keep it that way. I never want to see that look on the faces of people I love again that what motivates me.
    would love to know what people think & what is keeping them from going back to the dark side.
    0 x
    Cat7

Re: What Motivates You

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi @Justme_au,

Thanks for posting this, I think a lot of people can relate to loved ones being a big motivating factor and I love the idea of putting photos around to remind you.

Would love to hear others motivators too!
    0 x
    Simply me

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:56 am

Heylo @Justme_au great question!
    My partner is indeed a big time motivator for me, especially with the initial decision to quit drinking. He dislikes the changes he sees in me when I'm boozing, and has past associations with it from other relationships that soured. Like you, I continue to choose to value our relationship in this way. Intention counts.

Whilst it's still early days for me too, 5 months so far, having said that I'm stoked at getting here, and that motivates me. Time under my belt so to speak. The benefits I'm seeing, like clarity, improved focus, the activities that have evolved to fill the void, deepening of my spirituality n ethics, not waking up with a hangover, these keep me going through challenging aspects of the process.

Like @Cat7 I dig the idea of having photo's or visuals to keep on track. I love a good altar, and have several with objects n imagery that remind me of what's important. I light candles on or around them. I burn essential oils too. Its a way of honoring I guess.

Thanks...
    2 x
    Kate58

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 pm

I did exactly what you did but now decided I can’t disappoint my kids again ! Or embarrassmyself or forget as that feeling is just not worth it nor is ending up in casualty!!!!
    I like watching shows that take your mind of things and the one that makes me actually laugh out loud on my own and feel happy I’d have you been paying attention . News and funny . And you can join in ., I just laughed loudly now watching it while taking my mind of alcohol
    !! Have a happy weekend breathe in for 4 hold for 7 out for 8 ....
    2 x
    Calvino01

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello everyone! :)

Just checking in to see how everyone's going? How have things been?
    1 x
    tea123

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 am

hi @Justme_au
    Thankyou for posting this, your post is inspiring to many people. Just want to check in with how are things going?
    1 x
    Rose_squrtz

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:22 am

Hi @Justme_au Thank you for sharing your experience! It's very inspiring and I think a lot of us would feel the same that we need to do our best for our loved ones !
    Hope you are doing well :D
    1 x
    AnnAnn

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 am

Kate58 wrote:
    Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 pm
    I did exactly what you did but now decided I can’t disappoint my kids again ! Or embarrassmyself or forget as that feeling is just not worth it nor is ending up in casualty!!!!
    I like watching shows that take your mind of things and the one that makes me actually laugh out loud on my own and feel happy I’d have you been paying attention . News and funny . And you can join in ., I just laughed loudly now watching it while taking my mind of alcohol
    !! Have a happy weekend breathe in for 4 hold for 7 out for 8 ....
    Hi @Kate58 , you're an inspiration! I agree, laughter is the best medicine, it's a very good way to take your mind off from alcohol. Keep up the positivity and thank you for sharing your experiences!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”