Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Keita

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 pm

Bamboo [facilitator] wrote:
    Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:42 pm
    Hi @Keita I can't even imagine what it has been like with everything you have gone through. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story with us. I'm wondering if you currently have any support in place (e.g. speaking to a Counsellor) or is this your first time reaching out? I wanted to check-in with you to see how you are going today?

You may also find the following resources helpful -

Making a Change - see here.
    Finding Support - see here.
    Hi @Bamboo [facilitator] thank you for your reply. I have never had councelling before, this is the first time in my life where I have sought some sort of support and understanding into my alcoholism. I come from a proud and very stubborn background where we pretty much suck it up and get on with it so speaking in this forum is a huge step for me.
    1 x
    TheDees

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:59 am

Hi @Keita yes it can be a big step and you have made that so good on you. It can be tough to do that but you have done that now so you should feel proud. What support are you looking for around your drinking? and what changes are you wanting to make? Take care of yourself
    1 x
    BeeB

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi, I’m new to the app & reaching out but I’d love to chat to someone who’s also struggling to find or reach out for support in quitting smoking ice.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi @BeeB welcome to the forum and thanks for your post :) Just thought I'd reach out to you while you wait for some responses from other peers. You may be interested in checking out Ice addition and recovery section where others have shared their journey, see here. You are also welcome to create a new thread topic if you'd like to share more of your story.
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Welcome to the forum @Meryl and @Evans_01 :) Let us know if you have any questions and feel free to post an intro below, we look forward to hearing from you.
    0 x
    Keita

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 am

TheDees wrote:
    Hi @Keita yes it can be a big step and you have made that so good on you. It can be tough to do that but you have done that now so you should feel proud. What support are you looking for around your drinking? and what changes are you wanting to make? Take care of yourself
    I guess I'm looking for support on how to manage triggers or find alternatives to drinking. I know I will have no control over my drinking, so I'm choosing to go cold turkey. It's been 3 weeks now and I haven't felt the need to reach for the bottle, but in that rare instance where I could be invited to a family event where everyone is drinking, how do I stick to my word and say no. It's easy to do on my own where I'm not in a social setting and feeling "pressured" to drink, but how do i manage that when the occassion does arise
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:46 am

Hi @Keita congratulations for going 3 weeks so far that's a huge achievement! Just wondering if you've spoken to your GP for some support and to ensure there's no medical risks? Does your family know that you are quitting alcohol? Part of counteracting those triggers particularly in these social situations with family and friends is to spend time with people who know and support your recovery journey. I know this is easier said than done at times and if it's not possible then it's good to come up with a few responses in advance. These could be "thank you I'm not drinking, I'm the designated driver (if you drive)". Another could be "thanks but I've got to get up early tomorrow I've got a few things on" or to simply say "thanks but I'm not drinking". Others also prepare by bringing non-alcoholic beverages. Would love to hear what suggestions other members have also? :)
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 pm

Welcome to the forum @Passpartu looking forward to hearing from you :)
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Happy Wednesday everyone. Welcome to our newest members @Fuyutsuki and @ShaoCan :) Let us know what has brought you to our forum, looking forward to hearing from you.
    0 x
    TheDees

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Happy FriYaY everyone,

Welcome to our newest members @Outofcontrol83 , @Bec-B , @CounterTouch , @Elenaphync and @Nicholasbe .

Let us know what has brought you to our forum and any questions you may have. Feel free to post an intro below.
    We look forward to hearing from you.

The Team
    :)
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our newest members @Metua, @Hope1234, @MistyPhoenix and @poopoojj143.

Let us know what has brought you to our forum and any questions you may have.

Feel free to post an intro of yourselves below.

We look forward to reading your stories,
    The Team
    :)
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Keita wrote:
    Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 am
    TheDees wrote:
    I guess I'm looking for support on how to manage triggers or find alternatives to drinking. I know I will have no control over my drinking, so I'm choosing to go cold turkey. It's been 3 weeks now and I haven't felt the need to reach for the bottle, but in that rare instance where I could be invited to a family event where everyone is drinking, how do I stick to my word and say no. It's easy to do on my own where I'm not in a social setting and feeling "pressured" to drink, but how do i manage that when the occassion does arise
    Hi @Keita, just wanted to check-up on how have you been going since your last post? Did you find any strategies to manage triggers or alternatives to drinking such as mocktails? You might find some useful ideas here.
    Social pressure is definitely a challenge, especially when its with people that know you and assume you're ok with drinking. Have you thought of strategies for these kind of occasions? As an idea, I usually just serve myself sprinkling water or coke and not tell anyone that it doesn't have alcohol. It just helps to avoid being questioned and keep you under the social pressure radar. What else do you think could work for you?
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 pm

BeeB wrote:
    Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:47 pm
    Hi, I’m new to the app & reaching out but I’d love to chat to someone who’s also struggling to find or reach out for support in quitting smoking ice.
    Hi @BeeB, how are you going? Just wanted to touch base with you since your last post. Have you been able to find the support you were looking for?

If it helps, as off this weekend we're going to be having some weekly activities on both Saturday and Sunday from 3 pm onwards. Just thought they could interest you and be an opportunity for you to connect with other people that have been through similar experiences. I'll leave you the links below:
    Saturdays:
    - Turning the negative into positive
    -3 things to look forward to
    Sundays:
    -Share your favourites quotes
    -Today I'm grateful for...

Hope to see you around in the forums,
    The Team
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Ghosts wrote:
    Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 pm
    Hey I'm not sure what to say
    I'm Pam a 52 yr old almost daily ice user for 20yrs
    I function and have a great job and family
    I'm tired of being on the rollercoaster and working for the drug
    I think I can do it on my own but I can't
    Sooo I'm a rookie first time trying to kick this **** drug
    Soo yea here goes
    Will be looking to take in as much as I can
    I'm very lonely and my job and ice is my life
    Thanks for reading if you did

Pam
    Hi Pam (@Ghosts),
    How have you been going? Just wanted to touch base with you, it's been a little over a month since your only post. Wondering what kind of supports or information were you seeking on here when you joined the forum? We might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Let us know if we can be of any help,
    The Team
    0 x
    TheDees

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 am

Welcome @Martinka , @Elly2 and @Star chick

The Counselling Online forums are a place to share you experiences and connect with others!

We'd love to hear from you! :D
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”