Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi @jimmy2020, I'd just like to begin by acknowledging how much courage it takes to admit you have a problem and to actually reach out for help.

I couldn't reach out and get help until I literally felt like I didn't have any other choice, completely backed into a corner by my addiction with no where to go.

I can really relate to what you're saying around things spiralling out of control even further after thing in your personal life coming to a head. It was after a terrible relationship break up that my addiction really spiralled out of control. It was my way of coping and self medicating from the pain I was experiencing in life.

I'm wondering if you've every tried to stop drinking before and if you're aware of the risks involved in stopping cold turkey? When you do feel like you're ready to have a go at a detox, as @Peace Dove said it is a good idea to head to your GP and get some advice on how to do it safely. You can always ring directline aswell to get a referral, information or support on 1800 888 236.

I hope you continue to reach out here, there is plenty of support and experiences that you can draw from to remember that you're not alone in what you're going through. If you ever want any info on any support groups or other places you can get help never be afraid to reach out and we can give you whatever info you need :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:14 am

welcome to our newest members @ShadowKnight158 and @bboog

These forums are a space for you to share your journey with others who have lived experience! This is a judgement free place to share advice and support, and help each other with the ups and downs of this journey!

You can post a little about yourself in this thread here, maybe your goals and what bought you to the forums today. I'll see you around the forums :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Sheldon, @SLG and @CRAZYGRANNY!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves here or ask any questions. This is a non-judgemental community where you can get support and support other people going through similar experiences.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :)
    0 x
    CRAZYGRANNY

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 am

Hi I’m here to introduce myself this is all new and wasn’t aware of this help and support available which I found out today. I’m a huge advocator for lived experience and believe it’s one of the most effective communication and support available when someone can identify your struggles and journey. Unfortunately, I myself haven’t been so fortunate in receiving this help but I’m aware it’s becoming a lot better, still needs work but a vast improvement from the past and stigma associated with drug addiction and mental health. My journey began 2007 within the public hospital settings and public mental health system. Over a decade of multiple admissions and diagnosis came with it great stigma from professionals working within these systems and every admission was seen as my diagnosis and behaviours they believed associated with this. I was treated terribly over and over and never looked deeper behind these so called behaviours. There was so much more going on behind my need to use drugs and medicate myself continually to the point where it then lead to many near fatal overdoses. I was in a marriage the whole time and being emotionally and physically abused and manipulated to believe it was myself that was crazy. It was a world of unexplained pain, trauma that I couldn’t identify myself was seeking help desperately but no one saw past my diagnosis and behaviours. It wasn’t til I attempted suicide as my only way out and when, amazingly survived left my marriage, became homeless, bankrupt, jobless and very broken from a broken system that failed me over and over. It was only through my own fight back and advocating to the right services did things improve and I made change happen. Finally through this process the system has new notes and history and awareness of the trauma hidden behind each cry for help. My passion is to be a lived experience worker myself so these changes can happen and no one should go through what I experienced. Also advocating for others is also a passion because it’s often difficult to identify your problems and then know how to go about reaching the right people that can help and make changes to these problems that believe me still exist as a recent personal experience once more but now I know how to address it. I started studying this year with a scholarship to be that lived experience worker within mental health and drugs and alcohol but I became quickly aware that I myself needed a lot more work on myself to be truly beneficial to others.
    So currently I’m in the process and I still struggle with past lifetime trauma that lead me down destructive paths and working hard to see patterns but through the counseling process dealing with the trauma beginning from childhood which is a common thread it’s becoming even more challenging to move through over 50 years but I know there is healing that comes from this. I just hope by sharing some of my story, people can relate and get the right help with the right people especially when you share lived experience, my journey could have been so different and less painful but I believe I’m still here to help others now how to go about advocating for themselves and reaching out for the right organisations available.
    Thanks for listening
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:10 am

Hi @CRAZYGRANNY,
    Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us! It's good to have you on board as this forums are all about lived experience and sharing struggles and journeys. I'm sure many people here will be able to relate.
    I'm so sorry to hear about the negative experiences you had while navigating the health and mental health system. While there is still much to do in order to reduce stigma regarding substance use, its has definitely become a work in progress in spaces such as this forums to try to reduce it.
    I can see in your post that you have gone through a lot but at the same time have developed a lot of strength, self-awareness and resilience through all of the adversities you have faced.
    And congratulations on the scholarship! I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself, and I'm sure you are going to touch a lot of people as a lived experience worker. It's also great that you want to keep doing a lot more work on yourself, the alcohol and other drugs and mental health field need more people like you.
    I'd like to introduce you to our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW, and @Katiee, who is also a peer worker and currently studying counselling.
    Please keep us posted on how you're going. :)
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:23 am

Welcome to our newest members @User 593e91b77fa8a, @COMMONCHAIR and @Rendrag!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves, perhaps you want to tell us what your hobbies are or what brought you here and if you have any goals in joining we can help you with. This is a safe and non-judgemental space to share and connect with other people with similar experiences. You might want to check out the Peers for peers section or some of the threads in our Community Talk section.

Looking forward to following your journeys. :D
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Good afternoon everyone and a big welcome to our newest members @Roo8787 and @PhoenixOwl !

These forums are a place for you to share your journey and goals and receive support and advice from others who have lived experience and understand the ups and downs of the journey!

This is a judgement free space, so when you feel ready you can write a little about yourself! :D
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi @jimmy2020 and thanks for sharing...............admitting you have a problem is a big first step. It was a long time between admitting I had a problem to actually taking the right action about it and that's something I'll always regret. I lost a lot during that time because I didn't take action soon enough...............and I'll never get them back. I hope this is the start of your pathway forwards. @Peace Dove mentioned seeing a GP and I gotta say that my GP was an amazing help. I know that hasn't been everyone's experience though so I would suggest that if you don't get the help you need from your GP then seek out one that can help.

I identify a bit with your story in that I drank through my teens as well but I was under the impression that the way I drank was normal............it was not. Drinking was a coping mechanism and I used it in good times and bad. Unfortunately when the bad times outweighed the good times things didn't end up going too well at all...........and the drinking just made things worse. For me, identifying the issues that were driving me to drink enabled me to start working on them which in turn decreased my need to drink. Working with GP, psych and counsellors was a massive help.

We're all here to share this with you so please keep us updated on how you're going...........good or bad. You're not alone. Check out the forums...........read, share, think..........let us know how we can help
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:12 am

Good morning everyone and a very big welcome to our newest members @Tryingeveryday and @Dan13773 !

The Counselling Online Forums are a safe, non-judgemental place for you to share your journey through recovery! Everyone here has lived experience and is here to offer support and advice.

You can use this thread to introduce yourself a little, maybe just start with your hobbies, goals or what bought you to the forums today :)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”