Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Deep blue

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:32 pm

It's hard to say for me.....I always manage to justify my use.
    I have a serious love affair with cocaine....and the only thing that's stopping me from wanting to do it almost every night is the cost.
    So I often think, how would I be if it were $50 a gram instead of $300,
    Is the only reason I'm not rock bottom is because I don't have the means to access my drug as much as I'd want?
    Another thing, if I didn't drink alcohol I'd probably never do any coke. It's like the minute that glass of wine hits my lips it flicks a button on in my head which screams "Get coke" Get Coke"...........
    When I'm completely sober and not drinking I still desire the effects of coke but I'm able to say no.
    Truth is, I feel lost today.....I've had to take the day off work coz I didn't sleep last night after doing a gram at my work xmas party.
    Today is not a good day.
    1 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Sounds like things are quite difficult for you at the moment Deep Blue. Consider looking at the reasons for stopping and the reasons for continuing to use. What are the benefits of stopping besides the financial side of things?

Considering how you're feeling today, what can you do to look after yourself and to make you feel more at ease at this moment?
    2 x
    Deep blue

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks [mention]Calvino01[/mention]

There are loads more benefits to not using than using..........
    I gotta somehow find a way to experience the things I do on coke without doing any coke...like confidence, sex, etc
    1 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes and readjusting does take time and can be quite difficult but is ofcourse possible. Have you ever had any support from any services for the cocaine use? Maybe a counsellor?
    0 x
    l3utterfly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:02 am

Hi drinking every day for me was normal and apart of my family culture. Everyone in my family drinks excessively.
    I always believed that I could stop whenever I wanted too. I'm not addicted.
    But the lows got low and longer, the drinking got more intense and so the pattern started.
    My doctor and professional therapist told me that drinking was an issue and making my Mental Health worse. It was a big shock for me.
    Oh and yes my attitude of I can quit whenever I want is not exactly true or easy.
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:36 pm

[mention]l3utterfly[/mention] It sounds like it came as a real shock for you to learn that you had a problem with alcohol. How are you feeling about it now?

Would anyone else that would like to share their thoughts? The forums are starting to get a bit busier which is exciting, let's keep up the traction!
    0 x
    Bgoodwin76

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:38 pm

For me I assumed my cocaine use was borderline but after reading more I think its clearly a problem . I have a Gram every 1 2 or 3 weeks it varies, I never use again to ease the crash but happy to indulge when I'm feeling good. I ride out anywhere up to a week of depression and anxiety after use, eat healthy, exercise and meditate daily, Then i decide to do it again and the cycle continues, Why ffs.

I just confessed my use to my partner which has hurt her deeply, I need to move forward as an honest person
    0 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi [mention]Bgoodwin76[/mention]

I can imagine that would have been hard confessing that to her, but maybe something you needed to do to move forward and break the cycle. You have taken the first step by admitting it might be a problem for you. Where to from here are you thinking?
    0 x
    Rose_squrtz

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi [mention]LBurgo[/mention] how are you going with everything?
    Haven't seen you on the forum since your last post so just wanna say hi and check in with you :P

I think it's amazing that you recognized the drinking issue and wanting to make positive changes.
    It takes a lot of courage to do that!

Don't forget to reach out to the forum if you need supports.
    We are here for you : )

Hope to hear from you again soon.
    0 x
    JA123#

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:39 pm

I've just joined,because I'm ready to acknowledge that yes I do have a problem with alcohol. I don't drink daily but I binge drink,and to the point I'm a blacked out mess..to the point I don't remember a thing I did,nor do I have any control on what I do..I've cheated on my fiance while blacked out drunk and kissed random guys. I feel so ashamed and disgusted in my behavior,because that's not the type of person I am or want to be. My mental health is struggling because of this..I feel like the worst person in the world 😭 😞
    0 x
    Tinkerbella

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Hello @JA123# sounds like you've been going through a rough time when you drink and you get really down on yourself :-( I am sorry to hear that you binging cycle has become so painful for you, but I am really glad that you have joined us and are reaching out for some connections to help you through. Sounds like you are really tough on yourself, but you should be proud you were brave enough to reach out :-) I hope you feel better soon.
    1 x
    Poetic_V

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:29 pm

I knew it was a problem for most of my adult life. Even in my teens.

However, I didn't realise I was an addict until I was doing physical rehab and I was talking in general about my use to an exercise physiologist. **He is a lovely man, there was no judgement intended in this interaction**

I said the words "Yeah, I know how to quit, I can stop anytime I want. I just don't want to."

His silence was thunderous.

I looked at him. He looked at me.

Then I said "Wow. That's what addicts say, isn't it?"

He continued to stare.

And then I realised I was an addict.

Still didn't stop me. That was four years ago. I have tried and relapsed many times since then. At least I am trying, and I understand that it is an addiction now.

V
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Wow, [mention]Poetic_V[/mention], what a powerful interaction.
    It's ok that that was 4 years ago, recovery is a journey. It takes time to get there.
    It sounds like you've learnt a lot along the way.
    I'm really glad you're here and that you've found us, please continue sharing the things that you have learnt on your journey, I'm sure that not only will others relate to you, but they might find it helpful too! :mrgreen:
    0 x
    Frangipanijazz

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 pm

It’s been years. But probably when I started hiding empty wine bottles through out my house because they wouldn’t fit in the bin. Making sure my bottle were at least 8 standard drinks. Drinking a bottle & barley being tipsy. Most days I try to wait till after 5pm but some days I can’t. I put myself through withdrawals daily so I shake a lot. I knew I had a problem but I realised it was severe when I started completely blacking out & being dishonest all the time. Loosing time. Not knowing what I’ve done. Waking up feeling guilty & ashamed. And wanting another drink to make it go away.
    1 x
    Truffles

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 pm

That's really interesting [mention]Frangipanijazz[/mention] . Has anyone else had the same or similar experience here in the form?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”