Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Minnie mouse

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:00 am

Hi Craig, I have opened up to my employer and they are giving me a chance to get better. I will be seeing a counselor with the EAP next week and my employer expects a report on my progress. I have worked for the company for 15 years without incident, and have been honest with them after my 2nd positive test. So feeling very blessed but also ashamed and embarrassed.
    1 x
    Minnie mouse

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 am

I wrote a statement which I read to them at my last meeting, admitting I had a problem and regret. I will be seeing a counselor next week with EAP, and they want a progress report which I will authorize. I think they have been fair and give me another chance
    0 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm

I have known for a long time that l have a problem with alcohol, l just couldn't take the first step, this is my second day sober and I can say that the pain is real, l just keep telling myself that if l get over each day, l should be feeling better soon.l read the section on setting goals, yesterday's goal was to fold up all the laundry in the basket on my dining room floor, every time l thought l really needed a drink l thought about the goal l had set myself for the day, and although small, l reached my goal. That's one of the obvious things that upset me is that I have neglected my housework over the past 1 1/2 years, that's how long the clean laundry has sat there for., so l came straight home from work and did it. It felt really good. Today I came home from work, really sick, l couldn't tell anyone what was wrong except l had a headache and. nausea, but my little goal for today is to put away my Easter decorations. I haven't done it yet, l am hoping my headache will subside so l can reach today's goal. I have read a lot of similar stories on this site but this is the first time lve taken part
    0 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 3:47 pm

I have known for a long time that l have a problem with alcohol, l just couldn't take the first step, this is my second day sober and I can say that the pain is real, l just keep telling myself that if l get over each day, l should be feeling better soon.l read the section on setting goals, yesterday's goal was to fold up all the laundry in the basket on my dining room floor, every time l thought l really needed a drink l thought about the goal l had set myself for the day, and although small, l reached my goal. That's one of the obvious things that upset me is that I have neglected my housework over the past 1 1/2 years, that's how long the clean laundry has sat there for., so l came straight home from work and did it. It felt really good. Today I came home from work, really sick, l couldn't tell anyone what was wrong except l had a headache and. nausea, but my little goal for today is to put away my Easter decorations. I haven't done it yet, l am hoping my headache will subside so l can reach today's goal. I have read a lot of similar stories on this site but this is the first time lve taken part
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi @Softpumpkin,

First of all, congratulations on your second day sober! I'm really glad that you're finding the forums useful and that you've decided to write your first post too. :)

It really is a take it one day at a time journey, but the battle does usually get progressively easier.

Good job on reaching your goal yesterday of folding up all the laundry. Sounds like a great strategy.

The headache and nausea could be symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. I highly recommend and encourage you to talk to your GP about this. There are risks associated with alcohol withdrawal, so its best to get your GP on board so you do it in a safe way.

If you feel you need further support, you can speak 24/7 to one of our counsellors for free. I'll leave the phone numbers below for you to have at hands in case you want to call:
    -Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

Please reach out at anytime, we're here to support you.
    1 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Thankyou Peace Dove l have been struggling with my alcohol addiction on my own until now, l am so happy to talk to others with the same problem, hopefully all together we can help each other along the way
    4 x
    Cmonletsgo

Tue May 04, 2021 10:55 am

Coz wrote:
    Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 am
    I’ve got a major problem that’s getting worst with cocaine use. I know I need help and that’s why I am here, but dont know how to talk to someone about it..
    How did you go with this? I’m so sorry to barge in on your post. My husbands nick name is coz and he is at a point with cocaine but doesn’t see it. How did you go? Are you ok.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with us @Softpumpkin, it's incredibly courageous and very appreciated.

The main thing I would say is easy does it! I remember when I was detoxing I just allowed myself at least a couple of weeks of just not doing too much and giving myself permission to be sick. I think it's amazing that you're still going to work and fronting up to everything while facing this stuff, I really admire that and wonder if it's hard to be holding all of that?

I think it's so great that you're setting micro goals too. One thing that helped me so, so much in the early days was setting small, bite size and achievable goals each day. That way I could have that sense of achievement but without overwhelming myself. Baby steps is what it's like in the beginning but it all threads together and you're certainly on the right path :)

How's the week been for you and how you going with everything now?
    0 x
    Sam144

Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi everyone
    This for me is a really big deal that I'm posting, and more importantly admitting that I have recognized I have a problem with alcohol. It breaks my heart to say that but I know deep down its the truth. For me I realized I had a problem when I kept saying "tomorrow is the day I'll stop or reduce" yet tomorrow still has not arrived. I convinced myself for so long that I don't have a problem, yet when I actually want to stop drinking I somehow can't seem to be strong enough to stop. To me that shows my problem. I still have not stopped drinking, but am slowly getting closer to seeking help. I am a nurse and health worker with many clients I work who experience addiction and I honestly feel like a bad nurse knowing deep down that I have a problem with alcohol. If my clients honestly knew my real problem with alcohol, they would never want me as there nurse. This really gets to me. This is the reason I don't seek help from local services as I also work in health. It's embarrassing and I feel talking online is my only way of remaining confidential but I still don't know how to stop.
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi @Sam144,

Welcome to the forums, and thank your for sharing your story. Congratulations on having the courage to write your first post on here. I understand how daunting it can be to admit what's going on. I'm really sorry to hear how hard this has been for you. Please be kind to yourself. Recovery is a one day at a time mission, and only you know when you're ready to take the next step, whatever you chose that may be.

I'm really glad you've found the forums, I understand that this "online" environment can feel safer for you given the nature of your work. There are some alternatives to a face-to-face services that you might find more suitable for you. I strongly encourage you to ring one of our counsellors as they can give you a referral to an AOD phone counsellor. You can call them 24/7 for free on the following numbers:

-Tasmania 1800 811 994

Please reach out at anytime, we're here for you. :)
    0 x
    Gardengirl68

Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 am

I've realised I have a massive problem. I can't even go a day without alcohol. I have been lying to myself and others. Drinking is not fun anymore . It started out as pain relief.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue May 18, 2021 11:32 am

Hi @Gardengirl68 I just want to start off by recognising your strength in recognising that your drinking is problematic and in reaching out. It can be really hard to take this first step, so good on you. I just want to make sure you're aware that there are some medical risks that accompany alcohol withdrawal. I would really recommend speaking to a trusted GP to support you during your withdrawal and recovery.

Everyone here has experiences with addiction and recovery, so this is a space to support each other and share your journey. There are a few threads which might be useful, such as the peers for peers section you can find that here -
    viewforum.php?f=49

If you feel comfortable then you can always reach out to counsellors for your state -

-Tasmania 1800 811 994

They will be able to offer you immediate support and also referrals.

What techniques are you using at the moment to support you these first few days?
    0 x
    Gardengirl68

Tue May 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi Liver.
    Thanks . Things are very bad ATM. I've reached out to lifeline and other phone counseling as I tried to stop and had very bad withdrawals. I'm on a waiting list for a detox centre after seeing my gp. I have been trying to cut down the amounts . But feeling very stressed.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm

@Gardengirl68 This is a really stressful time and you're doing really well in .terms of getting help and support. Do you have any supports in place for when you're feeling like this? Any activities or hobbies which might help to take your mind off the stress?

Do any other members have some suggestions for helping right now @Minnie mouse , @Simply me @ScorpionPW & @Craig PW
    0 x
    Gardengirl68

Tue May 18, 2021 1:58 pm

I work and do alot of gardening. I guess I am coming to terms with the fact I'm dependent and can finally see my problem. It's very difficult to go to work each day and try and hide the stress . I hate myself for becoming this way. Buying alcohol because I have aweful side affects until I can get treatment is just doing my head in. I feel like such a looser.
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”