Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Deep blue

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:32 pm

It's hard to say for me.....I always manage to justify my use.
    I have a serious love affair with cocaine....and the only thing that's stopping me from wanting to do it almost every night is the cost.
    So I often think, how would I be if it were $50 a gram instead of $300,
    Is the only reason I'm not rock bottom is because I don't have the means to access my drug as much as I'd want?
    Another thing, if I didn't drink alcohol I'd probably never do any coke. It's like the minute that glass of wine hits my lips it flicks a button on in my head which screams "Get coke" Get Coke"...........
    When I'm completely sober and not drinking I still desire the effects of coke but I'm able to say no.
    Truth is, I feel lost today.....I've had to take the day off work coz I didn't sleep last night after doing a gram at my work xmas party.
    Today is not a good day.
    1 x
    Calvino01

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Sounds like things are quite difficult for you at the moment Deep Blue. Consider looking at the reasons for stopping and the reasons for continuing to use. What are the benefits of stopping besides the financial side of things?

Considering how you're feeling today, what can you do to look after yourself and to make you feel more at ease at this moment?
    2 x
    Deep blue

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks @Calvino01

There are loads more benefits to not using than using..........
    I gotta somehow find a way to experience the things I do on coke without doing any coke...like confidence, sex, etc
    1 x
    Calvino01

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes and readjusting does take time and can be quite difficult but is ofcourse possible. Have you ever had any support from any services for the cocaine use? Maybe a counsellor?
    0 x
    l3utterfly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:02 am

Hi drinking every day for me was normal and apart of my family culture. Everyone in my family drinks excessively.
    I always believed that I could stop whenever I wanted too. I'm not addicted.
    But the lows got low and longer, the drinking got more intense and so the pattern started.
    My doctor and professional therapist told me that drinking was an issue and making my Mental Health worse. It was a big shock for me.
    Oh and yes my attitude of I can quit whenever I want is not exactly true or easy.
    0 x
    HelpfulBee

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:36 pm

@l3utterfly It sounds like it came as a real shock for you to learn that you had a problem with alcohol. How are you feeling about it now?

Would anyone else that would like to share their thoughts? The forums are starting to get a bit busier which is exciting, let's keep up the traction!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”