Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. To post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.
  • Struggling

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Belcalis

Struggling

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:22 am

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling a bit lately, just had a close family member pass, we knew it was coming but I'm not used to feeling all these emotions. I'm not going to use but normally my comfort would come from a pill. I know life is messy and we have really bad days but when you have numbed yourself from that for so long it feels like getting hit by a truck of feelings. Not into it, trying to deal with it.
    0 x
    WillowTree

Re: Struggling

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am

So sorry to hear you've been struggling, Belcalis. That's great that you've so far been able to cope with those feelings without choosing to numb them. It's not easy. Hopefully you can get some support and suggestions from others on the forum who have been through similar tough times.
    1 x
    Belcalis

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks @WillowTree :) it’s been an intense day experience but I guess life can’t be all rainbows and sunshine x
    0 x
    Sallos

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 am

I'm sorry to hear for your loss, @Belcalis. I know personally that I've always found emotionally stressful times, like what you've experienced, hard to handle without vice. I hope I don't come across as "tone deaf" but congratulations nonetheless on handling the situation like you did - dealing with loss is hard enough at the best of times let alone being in early recovery as you are and I think you've shown great courage in resisting temptation. Are you able to pinpoint what support and/or strategy helped you through this period? It could be useful to pocket it for future reference.

Condolences,

-Sallos
    2 x
    Vik

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Belcalis.
    How are you doing?
    1 x
    Belcalis

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks guys,

I had my mum with me and ended up being really honest with how I was feeling especially on the day of the funeral. We had a massive talk and she told me how proud she was of me etc... I think having a support network is really important for me this time cause I’ve always tried to go it alone and then something bad would happen and I’d end up using again.

Feeling a lot better today and in a much better head space. The old saying “one day at a time” has its merits, just have to make it through those bad days until the goods ones return
    2 x

Return to “Lived experience”