Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Day 7 abstaining from alcohol!

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Simply me

Day 7 abstaining from alcohol!

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

Heylo folk,

Today is day 7 of abstaining from alcohol.... ;)

A couple of months ago I did some deep trauma work, which led to a backlash of my hearing pretty abusive voices 24/7, as they said in Harry Potter 'not a good sign, even in the wizarding world'. It was recommended I up my antipsychotic psych meds, triple them infact, which I didn't want to do because of the zombie/sedation factor. I increasingly picked up booze around this time. Then after working with the voices, one morning I awoke and they had cleared. I just heard birds, ocean, people on the street...amazing...

I continued to drink, rising levels, immoderately moderating! Ha! Then one night I awoke from nightmares and they were back. Scared the crap out of me, and I wasn't sure if it could be all on again, and I would indeed have to crank up the meds. That's when I called enough, mental health chosen over booze. Abstinance over moderation, at least first goal was to get through a week...

I am aIso a herbalist, and at times channel healing energy distance and in person, all still pretty new, and didn't want alcohol in my system when doing so, or developing these skills. Clash o values there! I'd build up a stock of 'tinctures' (herbs I grew steeped in vodka or brandy for 6 weeks, taken in drop doseage) but then drink them all, and lose my medicine stocks for the apothecary, and sharing with community.

I still clear 'entities' from my aura daily, part of my woo woo practices as my partner says. He's a great support, as is my cat, and a small circle of friends, who texted most days once they knew what I was doing.

The last week has been challenging, tears shed, distress, or cravings, are not comfortable to sit with. I was surprised to hear that alcohol is an umm emotional disregulator/ disinhibitor, as I thought it was 'helping' me with controlling / managing difficult emotions, chill pill, apparently not tho. In the now I'm turning to a cup or 4 of Motherwort herb tea at my itch time, around 4pm into evening. I light candles. Add music. Its been a blend of distraction and self soothing that's worked so far. Hopefully shall continue to be so. The first few nights were rough, nightmares and voices again but thats cleared now....

That's probably enough o a ramble from me, just felt to share. Thanks to all who have....
    1 x
    Hercules

Re: Day 7 abstaining from alcohol!

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Hello @Simply me,

Hercules here, one of the Counselling Online Forum Moderators. Thank-you for sharing your progress with us :) Congratulations on abstaining on alcohol, that is a tremendous achievement! It sounds like it has been a difficult journey for you, and a cascade of heavy emotions and challenges have shown up for you. However, it is great that you've managed to pull through and adopt a number of self-soothing strategies to help modulate your urges when they come up. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Hercules
    0 x
    Simply me

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:54 am

Thanks Hercules!!
    Affirmation and posative feedback is such a bonus....

Its kinda a weird thing, but Ive discovered with self soothing, that whilst the actual processes, eg) putting my feet in a bucket of warm water with epsom salts and lavendar oil (don't have a bath), is useful, if I can't do that 'visualising' it relaxes me aswell.

I really like the word 'nourishing' with this quit. It conjures up a way of self care that's so juicy and gentle....

Day 9 now. Realise it's early days. I hear that 7 days is physical detox, and then comes emotional / psychological eg) the rest o your life! ha! Still, I count each day as a victory. Breaking it down....
    2 x
    Vik

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:50 pm

@Simply me congratulations! 9 (10 now?!) is a really great achievement!

I love the word "nourishing" too! I think it's a really beautiful way to see your self soothing activities. It's also fantastic to hear that when these aren't available to you, you've got a back up plan - visualisation.
    Everyone's process is different to try not to expect the psychological/emotional part, more just see what comes up for you.

So looks like you achieved your first goal - at least one week abstinent. Have you made a new one?

Breaking it down sounds perfect!

Take care, Vik
    0 x
    Simply me

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:27 pm

<t>Thanks Vik!<br/>
    <br/>
    Yeah I guess it's wise to 'take it as it comes'. The old adage of 'day at a time', (or half hour at a time!) has its origins in practicality, as old sayings tend to somewhere down the line. Being able to 'observe' what comes up is bit o an art form in and of itself, where n if possible. <br/>
    <br/>
    The idea of contemplating abstaining from booze FOREVER, I find overwhelming. Pretty sure I'm not alone in that. So breaking it down again, to next goal of a reaching a month. I feel if I can get through 3 weeks I'll be well on my way eh.</t>
    2 x
    Vik

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Yes it can be overwhelming. Oldie but a goodie that rings true - "one day at a time"!
    0 x
    Simply me

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:57 am

Hi folk,

Day 18 no booze...

Yesterday was rough. None of my strategies were kicking in for me. I had a lot of anger and grief about some life circumstances, largely around an application for the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) which is very deficit model based, focusing on weaknesses rather than strengths. I don't like defining myself this way, and find it very triggering. Long story short I had challenging emotions arise I didn't know where to put, the temptation was to pick up...

I chatted to a counsellor, screamed into a pillow, drummed, sang /made sounds, swore loudly and cried my eyes out. Poor neighbours ahhh well bit o reality. Ended up foetal position in bed clutching a trusty crystal. My partner was overwhelmed and unsure how to support, 'being there'. I'm not writing this for people to go ooohhh pooor you, simply to offer up that some days are real ****, but somehow, if I can just cling with the fingernails to the edge, it does appear to pass. Tell me that yesterday, I'd have been likely to deck you, but today I feel in a bit of a better space. If you are where I was yesterday, please hang in there!! Reach out, if and when you can. If doona therapy works, go for it...
    See how I go round 4pm on before I get all sassy....

As a result, I've begun a longer term craft project to base dye with botanicals a quilted coat I bought at a market, and stitch patches, embroider, sew buttons on, add pockets, bits n bobs. A large 'canvas' for ecodye and slow sewing, to work on in the evenings. Something 3d and solid that when its finished will be my medicine making / comfort coat and a reminder of where I've come from, and going to. The path I'm making forward, with support...

Thanks....
    2 x
    Koala_85

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Simply me,

Koala_85 here, (one of the moderators on the forum) Well done! You've shown tremendous strength in remaining sober. It sounds as though you had a really rough day yesterday, however with the support of your partner and the self help strategies that you have used such as singing and screaming into a pillow have shown to be really helpful. It's really great that you have some of those strategies when you need to expel some unwanted energy. Sometimes you really do feel as if you're fingernails are hanging on the edge to hold it together, however if you surrender to the feeling and remember your strategies to help you through will certainly guide you in your recovery. Well done again and look forward to your future posts :)

Koala_85.
    0 x
    Trying2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 pm

@Simply me appreciate you sharing and definitely know it is not for sympathy, lived experience is exactly why I am coming on here, thanks again.
    0 x
    Simply me

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks for the affirmation Koala and Trying2019, it really helps me get on through!! :)
    I held off replying cos I wanted to reach day 21 before I did, n dat today!! 3 frickin weeks...
    I guess it'll be a good sign when I lose track of how many days sober I am, and just am.

Had some lovely distraction with a supportive best friend arriving for 2 weeks, from Tassie. She's staying in my partners caravan. Will be coming n going seeing people, but is in the hood. I find the right kinda company, aka rockin cup o tea drinkers, really helpfull to connect with! Lucky to have few o dem in my small circle. I have, mayhaps others relate, this old program about becoming 'boring' when I stopped drinking, absolute tripe, but there you go. I'm engaging in more creative n medicine tangents, increasingly, as I get down the track eh, not less. Gotta do something with the excess energy! Yesterday we made rattle heads stitched from goatskin, to now dry and then be painted with totems. It doesn't have to be that fancy or complex tho, a call, text or a shared walk is great. Love an amble n chat...

Signing off for now, again thanks folks for safe space n affirmation. Together we rise eh...
    2 x
    Trying2019

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:33 pm

@Simply me well done on 3 weeks! and possibly very soon one month :)
    0 x
    Simply me

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks Trying2019!! Made it on through to that month :D

So important to work out new ways to celebrate and acknowledge our victories eh. The trap of ha, there I did it, now I can just have one, or two, or seven, rears it's head. Fallen for that one before....
    I'm going to shout myself to an hours massage, and there's a piece of jewellery Ive had me eye on in an op shop. Its a cast silver acorn on a chain. Symbol of what can become a big ol Oak tree! There's 3 of em and they're asking $25 each, hence still there, outrageous really, but what the hey I'm gonna claim one! It shall be mine, oh yes....

I wrote up a list 'first aid nourishment' to go on fridge, cos I know when cravings or distress hit, my brain doesn't work anymore. Made it legible enough that my partner can also read, aka point at it! Coloured it all in with highlighter pens, so it was a bit more light hearted. Test driven several times since putting it up, seems to be usefull. I can scroll through the list of potential to do's and see what I'm up for in a given moment......

Signing off for now. Sushi for me today!
    1 x
    Cat7

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 am

@Simply me Its great to keep hearing of your successes and I love the idea of the nourishment list, I think so many on here would find that useful!

Enjoy your massage, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Cat7
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”