Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Just over a month no booze, aiming for 6 months...

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Simply me

Re: Just over a month no booze, aiming for 6 months...

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:50 am

Heylo @Gettingbetterr, good call remembering bonuses of your 8 months off booze and deciding to pick up the trail again. Congrats! @HelpfulBee is right about developing tools in that time that you can now reconnect with, whilst creating new ones, which your doing on day one by deciding to see someone face to face aswell as being here eh!

Face to face support regularly scheduled in allows me a space to debrief, feel heard but also tap into the knowldege banks of someone who works with other folks so can suggest ways to see stuff, and facilitate me to develop my own strategies for dealing with. I see my psychologist every 2 weeks in the now, she bulk bills luckily. She's someone who has tackled her own types of addictions, which gives her insight and a down to earth vibe. Not afraid to appropriately share parts of her own story, real empathy n belly laugh potentials, which are added extra's to me.

Saw her yesterday actually and we worked on that challenging time for me from about 4 on into eveningk. She gave me feedback it's actually pretty common for the greeblies to hit around that time, but interestingly also that in ashrams the peak meditation times, when folk are most open is 4-6 am and also 4-6 pm! Interesting reframe for me. She got me to first up connect into feelings / body sensations round that time, and then we worked up a list of pretty gentle, low energy input strategies from there based around these kinds of chilled states. Rather than an intellect based list that I try to force myself into. See how we go....

The other aspect is it's really cool to have someone sharing your victories, who knows what you've put in.

Anyways, just affirming your choices rather long windedly! All the best on your journeys....
    1 x
    l3utterfly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi @Simply me
    Wow I can't believe the similar path we are taking. I am 5 months sober and just struggled through my first sober holiday period in 18 years.
    I am also waiting for those nagging cravings/thoughts to dissipate more.
    I am new to this forum and I have loved reading your posts and your way with words and how you are telling your journey.
    Keep up the good work and please keep posting! :)
    2 x
    Simply me

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi @l3utterfly,
    Welcome n greetingks! Congrats on the 5 months mark reached n getting through festy season sober! BIG.
    Curious to know a lil more of your journey, in your own timings n pace eh.....
    Felt to respond n say thanks for affirmation, and bloody good on you, basically.

Am experimenting with this idea of 4-6pm being a potentially meditative time (by 9.30 I'm exhausted, had enough of day n ready for sleep aka shutdown, generally). Today I lay down round 5, n breathed into heart space, which is how I go about connecting to my Spirit guides /kin. My mind went off, blah blah this, blah blah that, this inane detail is really important, that pointless tangent is crucial. All I could do was keep returning to longer exhalation than inhalation. I probably lay for round 30 -40 minutes without really receiving 'huge' intuitive guidance, few visuals (I usually get Panthamama, a Black Panther, first. She's unafraid of walking beside me through dark places n spaces) and the odd word like 'stitch' (I'm a hand sewer, so relevant). However, when I stood up I was calmer n more centered, despite enduring the babble. Odd. However it's 8.30pm and I'm travelling ok. Shall persist....in fact that was the strongest guidance that came through!

Also began a month long online course that means daily crafting excercises, botanical dyeing n hand sewing, appear in my inbox. Its real satisfying, the teacher inspires me, so it's great distraction and I can see the results tangibly around our hq. I thought it was financially out of reach but then payment plan came up, n my fella shouted me first dosh hit! I'm finding I needs be do things 5 months ago I probably wouldn't have thought I could, had motivation to continue with, or may have backed down from starting. It's part o what is keeping me going....

Anyways, that's enough ramblings from me....
    Thanks...
    2 x
    Simply me

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Yessm, I scraped through n made it to 6 months no booze!!! :)
    Goal achieved. Gawd it seemed so massive when I set it, like an ominous looming tower o some description, with thousands of steps. Some of which it indeed possessed....

The step of being ok with emotional vulnerabilty n outbursts was a hard one. One day, actually only couple of weeks ago, at bus stop, tears streaming down my face with headphones on, I realised something. People don't tend to notice in world 'out there'. Joggers ran past, lycra clad cyclists zoomed by, cars rushed to be in a traffic jam position, nobody noticed lil ol me. Red eyed and deshevelled. Bus driver politely sold crazed aka emotional woman, who had to pause when asked where she was going, a ticket. Our loved n close ones do feel with us n care, and often they cop the crappy end of the stick at such times, but they also get to share our victories. Such is the nature of intimacy it seems, good in bad, bad in good. I've lived without it, n it's lonely place. Safe people and spaces, such as the forums here, are pivotal in my experience....

Step of, if you can and need to, retreat n rest. When overwhelm strikes, drop stimulis levels waaaayy down. Mental health days I guess is one name for it, aint that every day?? Basis of sobriety. Having said that yesterday I was due for my monthly medication injection and mental health seemed a land far far away. Doona therapy was the only strategy I could conjure. Craft, doona, craft, doona, phone call to lifelines, offcial n friend....didn't pick up tho! Tears n ol button eyed teddy bear! Guess what I'm getting at is if you're feeling **** hang in, and if it jumps up n surprises you, acknowledge but move through, if you can. Also in my books if you are on psych meds in now, don't punish yourself for it. Many of us were forcibly medicated, and now our systems are used to them....

Good news needed now. I am currently working on a proposal to two community galleries for an exhibition of my craftings. 6 months ago wouldn't have even been on cards, let alone visiting gallery to check out spaces, even simply sitting having a coffee with a friend there to feel vibe!! The levels of clarity of mind and capacity to focus on tasks are improved most days off the richter. I've read books, studied online and stuck with, short courses. Cravings are lessening in that I'm aware when the desire to numb out arises n can name that, or I'm in danger zone for being triggered / red flags. I know my weak spots and places to avoid. Hardly any residual anxiety / agitation. Voices I heard on daily basis, pretty much gone, now, with support of spiritual practices n grounding, now when they come 'sorry wrong address' moves them on generally. So many bonuses to keep me on track, so far....

Still breaking it down. Next goal, a year booze free. Then furthur along, the psych meds are next.....
    1 x
    Cat7

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:10 pm

Congratulations @Simply me , that’s so great to hear. I love hearing your updates and wisdom and I'm sure so many others on here do too.
    0 x
    Simply me

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks @Cat7 at7

Not so sure about the wisdom bit, kind o you, but it's been real good to have safe space to share and receive encouragement. This forums community and the 24/7 counselling have been pivotal to journey so far. Sounds like an ad eh?! Guess it is, to reach out and accept support offered...

My dear Dad said to me, 'please don't be too proud to accept help' and it has stuck with me. He spoke those words after seeing me lose connection to a close friend with a heroin addiction, who was battling it for many years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for independence, and self reliance, building up our own toolbox, but there's a point where we flourish under some affirmation of our paths. A little 'you can do this' can go a long way in the right moments, even if / when we don't feel it yet....

So thanks, and you can do this.....
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”