Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.
    Let's Talk! latest community topic: Motivation
  • Alcohol turns me into a monster

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Mumlife101

Alcohol turns me into a monster

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 am

Admitting you have a problem is never easy.

Hi everyone, I am a mum in her thirties. I pride myself on being such a good mother to my children. I also think I’m a pretty good wife (most of the time). I have a great job, have some good friends around and enjoy getting outdoors to the beach or fishing whenever we can. I study part time too, I’m a great cook and enjoy creating cakes for friends and family. Sounds pretty normal right?

But, there’s a problem. When I get the occasional chance to get out which is not very often, I binge drink & turn into an absolute horrible person towards my husband.

I have no self control and black out. I get verbally abusive and make some really poor choices. Quite simply, I am so ashamed of the person I become. I know it’s not me.

My husband and I have some unresolved issues regarding his verbal attacks and insults on me when we have a disagreement. I guess I internalise that pain and it comes flooding out when I get drunk. No excuse though for my behaviour.

I know I have a problem. I want to be the best version of my self all the time. Even if I have a few wines after work I get depressed and down so it’s not doing me any good at all. When I have cut it out before I have so much energy and am happy.

Looking to reach out for support. I want to ditch the alcohol completely this time, forever.

Thanks for listening.
    1 x
    Vik

Re: Alcohol turns me into a monster

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Welcome @Mumlife101 and thanks for your post.

You're absolutely right - it's never easy, and posting can take a lot of courage so well done on taking this step! You're certainly not alone in having a mostly normal life and family life, but having probles with what you called binge drinking.

Sounds like you're feeling strong about drinking being not being good for you, with even in small amounts effecting your mood, and it's inspiring to hear how determined you are :)

How are you doing this week with your goal?
    You also might find this activity about making a plan for social events helpful?

Looking forward to hearing an update :)
    0 x
    Ph03n1x

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:00 pm

It's so hard to give up alcohol when our culture revolves around alcohol being part of celebrations and catch ups. I am a mother as well. There's alcohol abuse on both sides of my family which made me a higher risk of being an alcoholic. I only recently started drinking alcohol again after 10 months of sobriety. It's a constant battle.
    0 x
    Jack23

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:37 am

hi @P@Ph03n1x

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for seeking support, it takes a lot of strength and courage to look for help.

Please read through stories that interest you and please share your experiences with other forum members.

Take care and all the best.

Jack23
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”

Counselling Online acknowledges the traditional owners of the land upon which our health service is built, the Wurundjeri People, part of the Kulin Nation, and pays our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging.