Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Still struggling

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Trying2019

Still struggling

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm

I am drinking more than ever, mostly in the closet. I am about to have a lot of visitors before and during Christmas and I hate that my main thought is about how to keep up my drinking. I know Christmas can be a time for alcohol but I have such anti social tendencies with it that there is no way to maintain my normal. I am not saying its not good that it might be a catalyst, more that I am acknowledging what a problem I obviously have, because it is such a factor in my thought process. It scares me how much I am drinking at the moment, I am probably having 6-8 bottles of wine a week (every second day). Seriously how much longer could I continue this way? And like said it is pretty secretive...
    0 x
    izy3

Re: Still struggling

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 am

Hi @Trying2019 Thank you for your post.

It seems you are a bit upset about how much you are drinking right now and how you become when you drink.
    The festive season can be a difficult time to resist and control drinking as it gives you a good excuse to drink more like many people do.
    It may help for you to have water or fizzy/soft drink between alcoholic drinks to pace yourself.
    Also thinking of how it would feel at the end if you didn't drink too much - maybe it could leave you more enjoyable and pleasant interaction with people.

Keep us updated how you are doing Trying2019!
    Anyone have a similar experience with Trying219's ? Share your experiences and strategies on the forum.
    1 x
    wiltedflower
    Community Builder

Re: Still struggling

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am

Hi @Trying2019 ,

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and worries on drinking.
    It has been a while since you posted. I wanted to check in and see how you went over Christmas last year?
    Was there anything that helped you get through that time period? Or do any other members have tips or tricks for the holidays? It can be such a hard time.
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”