Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • COVID-19 | we are all in this together

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Aloysius Snuffleupagus

COVID-19 | we are all in this together

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 pm

Since the outbreak of COVID-19 and the subsequent shutdown (what it seems the entire planet) and enforced lockdown, is it me or does the world seem like a normal place all of a sudden. Everybody is battling this together. We are all the same. I feel so energized, right or wrong this is the first time in over two years that I don't feel like a complete loser.

For the first time in history, every single human is experiencing the same problem. Empathy is everywhere. There seems to be an overwhelming sense of togetherness. We are supposed to wash our hands after we go to the toilet, before we eat and after we sneeze. What were humans doing before the virus? I shudder at the very thought.

Mankind shares a mutual goal. We are genuinely reaching out to the elderly, the sick and the disabled. Primary schools students are 'adopting' an Old Person who are alone in nursing homes ... these kids ring the old person who has been gifted an iPad and make a 1 hour Skype call. Complete strangers at the start, but now sharing stories of the old and the new and forming a beautiful meaningful friendship. Businesses are adapting. A rum distillary is now producing hand sanitizer. Dyson vacuum company is rejigging their factories to produce much needed ventilators in the UK.

This virus doesn't care about skin colour, sexuality, religious beliefs or political views. We are all the same. This virus has ended wars, stoped the violence on the streets of Hong Kong. Commerical television is filled with hope, messages of goodwill, reports of random acts of kindness everywhere and families are becoming closer together, putting down their smartphones and are making up games and entertaining activities to keep spirits high. Since the industrial revolution from 760, Humans have developed a consumable lifestyle, we have lost faith in our leaders, we have witnessed a digital age which some may say has done more harm than good. Celebrities and business leaders are sending Tweets, Instagram and Tik Tok is filled with video messages. No studio lights, no make up or hair, we are seeing them for the first time in their homes. Everyone seems to be adjusting.

I am addicted to drugs (ice), I have lost my job, my family is distant and finances are up shit creek.

People around me have lost their jobs. Government handout will be the same for everybody.

So in closing, I am jumping on this bandwagon and will resurface with the rest of society after this dreaded virus has a vaccine and we can return to some type of 'normality'.

Stay safe, stay indoors
    AS

#weareallinittogether, #staysafe #togetherwecan #stayinside.
    2 x
    Gizelle

Re: COVID-19 | we are all in this together

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 am

Hey, love your post! I agree humankind seems to be becoming collectively genuine again. What a monumental time in history we are going through.
    We're combining the digital and natural environments with the important traits of compassion, empathy, respect, and genuine care for each other.
    Who'd have thought this would be an outcome of covid19...
    I love your post. I can see you have a very intelligent and aware attitude. You'll beat your addiction as I will mine which is to alcohol.
    Remember you are worth persevering for! 🥰 Be proud of yourself even when you're feeling low.
    We all need to take extra care over Easter. Stay safe 😊
    0 x
    Gizelle

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 am

Hey, love your post! I agree humankind seems to be becoming collectively genuine again. What a monumental time in history we are going through.
    We're combining the digital and natural environments with the important traits of compassion, empathy, respect, and genuine care for each other.
    Who'd have thought this would be an outcome of covid19...
    I love your post. I can see you have a very intelligent and aware attitude. You'll beat your addiction as I will mine which is to alcohol.
    Remember you are worth persevering for! 🥰 Be proud of yourself even when you're feeling low.
    We all need to take extra care over Easter. Stay safe 😊
    2 x
    Waffle

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am

Hi @Gizelle and @Aloysius Snuffleupagus ,
    Good to see you both taking initiative to support the others.
    Victoria have been doing well lately and hopefully the lockdown will be over soon.
    just checking in to see how both of you are doing lately?
    hope you guys are safe and well ;)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”