Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • How to change after 45 years of addiction

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Tat

How to change after 45 years of addiction

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi im Tat & my story is long & complicated. I started using Heroin at age 16 & evolved to Meth around 40yrs old. I got my act together for a few months & then took up Alcohol. Im 61 now & my drinking has been out of control for a couple of years. Surprisingly Ive held down a good job for 21yrs but have skated on thin ice a few times by going to work intoxicated so  had to put a lid on that behavior. But when im not at work im drinking. I start at 7am & can go to 10pm & can drink a litre of vodka a day!
    A few weeks ago I started suffering blackout/seizures so I booked myself into detox. Ive been clean now for 31 long days & I'm gonna give it my best shot. But as I spent the last few years lying to friends to avoid socializing with them  so I could stay home & drink, I've pretty much isolated myself from everyone. I need to make a new healthy network of friends & find some hobbies to fill my time when im not working. Any support from the group is more then welcome.
    1 x
    SnowGlobe88

Re: How to change after 45 years of addiction

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi Tat,

Welcome to the forum. I'm one of the moderators.

Well done on going through detox and giving it your best shot. Have a look around the forum and reach out if you have any question.

Thanks,
    SnowGlobe88
    1 x
    JDingo

Re: How to change after 45 years of addiction

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Wow Tat, I think you’re amazing already. Sounds like you haven’t really experienced the joy of really living, given you have been numbing yourself so much along the way. I’m only newly sober myself and I’m really looking forward to un-numbed living and feeling Healthier and better about myself . I’m a better person sober, I’ll bet you are too, you just have to believe in yourself. :-)
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”