Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Creating routine and every day recovery

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Dontknowatall

Creating routine and every day recovery

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

I’m really trying to create routine but I often get lost in how I feel. Any tips on routine welcome from people. I need to try and keep life simple but hey life isn’t simple.

Sometimes it takes me so long to do the simplest task for me.

There are some recovery things I try and do every day:
    Check in to the I am Sober app and read motivational quotes for the day
    Check in to an app coach me

That’s probably all I’m regular at.

I suppose I need to write out my routine but sticking to it is what I find extremely challenging.

I want to get out of my feelings and into robot mode and that is what I really struggle with, I guess that’s my
    Main point.

Silly things, like even regularly taking multivitamins every day is an effort.
    I just feel so hit and miss and I want to create consistency and I know that will build my esteem.
    3 x
    Hermes

Re: Creating routine and every day recovery

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 am

Good morning [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] good on you for sharing some thoughts that are bothering you that you would like some tips around on how to deal with those "lost feelings" and what routines work for other people. I wonder, if it is also worth while mentioning other routines that work for you as you may have something to offer others in that area as well?

I guess finding a gentler way to do some simple tasks would be a good option if other people feel similarly and have found ways to better manage those days. Lets see what others can contribute to this thread
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] ,

Some people are naturally really structured, and some people aren't. And that's ok. For people who aren't naturally inclined, it can be a little bit more effortful to get into a routine and stick to it.

I think I'm one of those people who sometimes struggles with getting into a routine. The things I find helpful are::
    • Writing to do lists - I get a lot of satisfation out crossing things off, sometimes I even give myself a gold star sticker :lol:
    • Joining two non related tasks together - For example, when I put the bins out I always water the indoor plants. This helps me to remember to water them!
    What sort of strategies have you tried?

- HelpfulBee
    1 x
    Dontknowatall

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 am

Thanks. I just sort of stare at things and do the bare minimum.

I wish I felt happy and energised. Sometimes I get things done, but rarely. I'm on an anti-depressant, but I still feel this way.

I suppose I get the most success with small things. Like really small things.

I printed an ideal week pdf/planner out and I didn't know where to put anything. So I just wrote a few things that need doing like washing, shopping and then maybe another day I will figure out where to put them.

It might not be for everyone but I think a very strict time routine (flexible to life of course) will help me build my self-esteem.

I'm always "in my thoughts/feelings/energy levels" and everything gets put off.

Trying to be gentle as early days here but I know from my long history of addiction I kind of need to push and propel forward with structure. Because every day things that people find easy I don't
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention]

Just checking in to see how the past couple of weeks have been ?
    I really like your plan of organisation and routine. It can be really helpful on the road to recovery.
    Its all about taking it one day at a time and being gentle with yourself
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Hey [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] ,

How have you been tracking?

Change can be hard, and routines can be difficult to stick to! (Trust me, I know!) ;)

How have you been going with it all? Have you found anything that's worked for you?

Hoping to hear from you soon,

HelpfulBee
    1 x
    Dontknowatall

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:03 am

Still struggling with it. It seems simple yet I find it difficult to be consistent daily.
    2 x
    Gizelle

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 am

I need structure too. I guess for me being vulnerable and kinda awkward leaves me open to criticism and not being liked. I connect easily to people but often can't read signals that I need to read e.g., this person is setting me up for a fall. I'm better than I used to be. I spiral down so quickly and the reward is alcohol.

Loneliness is key to drinking sometimes. It is like a mate that loves watching iview or Netflix drama with me
    2 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi @Gizelle thanks for sharing :) What kind of things have you tried so far to have a bit of structure in place?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi @Gizelle,

Thank you for sharing so honestly about what you've been struggling with.

I remember when I first got into recovery one thing that was said to me that served me well was "stick with the strength". Creating new connections is a vital part of recovery but like you said, you've got be mindful of whether or not the connections you're forming are going to serve you in your recovery journey or not.

We don't have to go it alone and peer groups in the community can be a great place to form new, safe and healthy connections with like minded individuals who are or who have been in a similar boat.

I really relate to the loneliness too and getting comfort from substances. I remember going through a period of mourning for the substances because they became everything I needed until they took everything from me.

Something I'd like to ask is do you have anything that you are passionate about or that you enjoy that you haven't engaged with for sometime because of your drinking? Are there other ways that you can try to reward yourself before picking up a drink and what can you bring into your life so you look forward to getting out of bed in the morning?
    Last edited by ScorpionPW on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2 x
    Gizelle

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:55 am

Hello
    Thank you for your message. Today I am looking at coaching to build inner strength. What community organisations are you referring to? SMART may be a good option for me but where I live is fairly isolated. I shall look into. 😊
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi @Gizelle,

SMART Recovery is one kind of peer group, there are also 12 step groups like Narcotics Anonymous/Alcoholics Anonymous.

Due to the pandemic a lot of peer groups are still run online and can be accessed through Zoom so you can get support from anywhere!

Would you like any more information about how to access online peer groups?
    1 x
    Gizelle

Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 am

Hello Scorpion
    SMART contact details would be great and i need to look into this. Coaching is fantastic but not about my drinking. It provides opportunities to look at my behavioural patterns and modify. Lots of ah ha moments. I'm down to about a half a bottle of wine a night now. No hangovers. Friday nights I drink more and I have to address this.
    Thank you for being there for me ! 😀
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu May 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi @Gizelle

Here is the link to access SMART Recovery meetings online:
    https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/o ... eetings-2/

That's so great that coaching is working well for you and it sounds like it's really helping you :D

One thing I heard that I've always held onto is that it's about progress, not perfection. It's great that you're working towards your goals and that you've got clarity about what you want to continue to work on.

SMART Recovery is good in that you can be supported to work on any behaviour you want help managing, whether its related to substance use or not.

By the way, my apologies for taking so long to respond, I just stumbled across this now.

How are things for you at the moment?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”