Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Annoyed that cravings are still here 2 years on

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Katiee

Annoyed that cravings are still here 2 years on

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 pm

Hey everyone my name is Katie. I am a recovering addict. I always thought that becoming clean would be an easy decision to make and keep. Boy was I wrong, 2 years later and I still get cravings for the horrible drug. I was a user for 15 years. I used to mask the pain of the trauma that I had faced. Coming clean I’ve had to face those emotions and learn new ways to cope. I have been getting angry lately as I have been getting cravings really bad sometimes and I struggle to push through it. I didn’t think that this far on I would still be struggling. But I’m quickly learning that this is for life and it’s just something that I have to live with for the rest of my life. Doesn’t mean I have to like it but
    2 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Re: Annoyed that cravings are still here 2 years on

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:49 pm

Hey @Katiee thanks so much for sharing your story... your post really shows the ups and downs of recovery which I am sure a lot of others here can relate to. You mentioned some new ways to cope.... I'd love to hear about them
    Take care
    camembert
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi @Katiee,

Thank you for sharing such an important message, that getting into recovery doesn't necessarily mean that everything will be peaches and cream!

For me, what recovery did for me was give me freedom of choice back, but I still had to face, and continue to have to face the reality of my thoughts and feelings and find new ways to cope without reaching outside of myself for something to change the way that I feel.

The main thing that has helped me get through challenges and adversity in life without picking up has been support from others in peer groups in the community.

I'd be interested to know what supports you currently have, if any and if you have found any relief from your cravings?
    0 x
    Katiee

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:02 am

@camembert @ScorpionPW

New ways to cope - at first it was going to counseling to deal with the trauma. Now it’s about

keep myself busy, don’t allow myself to get bored or lonely. Been doing diamond painting lately. Ring my support network, binge watching Netflix

I have a really supportive team at work and I’m able to talk openly and honestly without judgment there witch is really helpful. I’ve made a couple of really good friends who I can talk to if I’m not feeling good about things.

Cravings are better definitely not as strong as they where. Hopefully it was just a phase I was going through and it doesn’t come back in a hurry
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Fri May 21, 2021 11:58 am

It's great to hear that you've found some things that work for you @Katiee and that you've got some great support around you.

I think what your sharing just really goes to show that getting clean is just the beginning, and as time goes on we have to find new ways to maintain recovery and learn to live with whatever challenges our thinking and emotions can throw at us.

It's great that you can ride the waves of craving without picking up. In my experience, the more difficult encounters I've had with cravings that I didn't pick up through, the easier it was to get through them each time. Until eventually, I just stopped getting cravings at all and it's been that way for a number of years now.

I really relate with not getting too bored or lonely. I love the term HALT. As in, if you try not to get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired that it's less likely you'll lapse.

How are things going for you now?
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Great thread @Katiee and I hope that others find some connection too

I'm 5 and a half years into recovery and whilst I wouldn't say I get cravings I do find that the thoughts come and go. These days I'm a whole lot better at managing those thoughts and recognising them for what they are. What I've discovered is that those thoughts are usually a sign that I'm looking for an external solution to an internal problem.

My addictions include gambling and it's the one that rears it's head the hardest at times. Drugs spring up next but not all of them. It's usually the ones that will take me away from myself most and let me lose myself for a while. The booze was my biggest issue but the thoughts of drinking are quickly quashed........I think because of the sheer amount of damage it did to me. Whenever the thoughts appear I try a technique called "Play the tape". Basically it's just thinking about what would happen if I was to follow through with it and the damage it would do in a very short amount of time............what I could lose if I caved and what it would take to get back to where I was before. That stops me pretty quickly.

Like I said earlier though, whenever those thoughts appear these days I start to think about why they're appearing in the first place. What is it that's happening for me at that stage that is making look to escape or hide from reality? What is it that I'm trying to hide from? Escape from? What is it that I don't want to feel becuase it's easier not to? When I start to honestly answer these questions I start to uncover the real problems.............and when I start to uncover the problems I start to uncover the solutions..............the solutions that don't involve giving in to my addictions. When I play that tape forward I'm always a lot happier than if I chose the other one.

Hopefully your cravings get easier to manage as time goes on
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”