Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Njohnson87

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 am

Hi everyone, my name is Niki and I feel helpless and alone. I don't know where else to turn. I have three beautiful children and an amazing partner who is at the end of his tether with my drinking and lying. We live in a small mining community, very little to do here. I find myself at the bottle shop as soon as it opens. I saw a doctor last week who gave me Valium and Prozac.. I don't think this is what will help me overcome my drinking problem. I feel like i haven't stopped since I was 14. Barely stopped when I was pregnant! I don't know where to go or who to turn to. My partner is a very cut and dry type of guy, thinks it's a switch that can be turned off. I feel like i have no where to turn and my family would just be better without me in their lives. Thank you for reading this far
    0 x
    Peonie

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:13 am

Hi Niki
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm Peonie, one of the moderators.

Sorry to her you having such a tough time, I am particularly concerned about your comment 'my family would just be better without me in their live'. Please let us know that you are safe and/or call 000.
    You can also the 24/7 Drug and Alcohol counselling line on 1800 888 236

Please know that you are not alone and there is help and support available to you

Take care
    Peonie
    0 x
    Peonie

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Niki
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm Peonie, one of the moderators.

Sorry to her you having such a tough time, I am particularly concerned about your comment 'my family would just be better without me in their live'. Please let us know that you are safe and/or call 000.
    You can also the 24/7 Drug and Alcohol counselling line on 1800 888 236

Please know that you are not alone and there is help and support available to you

Take care
    Peonie
    0 x
    dennisG

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 am

Hello Everyone. I'm Dennis. I suffered from chronic depression and anxiety in 2017 after a relationship breakdown and started using alcohol as a coping mechanism. I suffered from suicidal ideation and my alcohol intake was extremely bad. I used to drink up to 5 bottles of wine per day and was sub-consciously committing suicide with the alcohol. I was admitted in different hospitals for over 40 instances with seizures, alcohol overdoses, blackouts and heart attacks. By 2019, I was a total ruin and wanted nothing but death. Late 2019, I got into some trouble with the law. I was drunk and grabbed somebody's hand at the train station and I was sent to jail for around 8 months. I suffered serious withdrawal symptoms in jail and again tried to take my own life. Its now been around 1 year since I last drank alcohol. I'm looking back and realizing that I was actually very lucky to go to jail since I got time to reflect and rethink the direction of my life. I have seen at least two of my friends die from depression and alcohol abuse related problems and its just NOT worth it. Untreated depression is killing more people than road accidents and this is going unnoticed. I'm still not 100% recovered from depression but the issue of alcohol addiction is gone. I'm just urging anyone facing a similar problem to always try to identify and control their triggers before its too late.
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 am

Hi @dennisG thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing your story. It sounds like you have gone through an incredibly tough time with depression and alcohol, being in jail, as well as the loss of your two friends. I can't even imagine what that would have been like. It's so great to hear that that the issue of alcohol addiction is gone for you, that's a huge achievement. I definitely agree that identifying triggers is such an important step on the road to recovery. You also mentioned that you have previously had suicidal ideation and I just wanted to check that you are okay and safe? I'm also going to send you an email so please keep an eye out for that.
    0 x
    chenille
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am

Hey @August041 ,

234 days is fantastic! :)

Volunteering is a wonderful thing to be doing and can really help you feel apart of something.

If you feel comfortable it would be great to see how you've been over the past few months! And maybe an update on your fish!

Chenille :)
    0 x
    MalKumari
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi @Bloom,

Welcome to the forum!

I am glad that you joined our community! :D Our members and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Hope to hear from you soon,

@MalKumari
    0 x
    chenille
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:02 pm

hi @JessaMae ,

I just wanted to touch base and see how you've been going the past few months.

It sounds like this year has been incredibly hard, I hope that things have been looking up.

If you're feeling up to it, please feel free to reach out and give us an update. :D

Chenille
    0 x
    MalKumari
    Community Builder

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:19 am

Hello @Jessicat2124,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you are well.

We are thrilled to have you join our community and our members would love to hear about your story! :D

I look forward to hearing from you,

@MalKumari
    0 x
    ifgoingthroughhellkeepgoing

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:23 pm

Hey I'm a 29 year old guy and I think I've had some form of addictions/obsessions my entire life, I'm really an all or nothing type of person and when I was young my addictions were to do with sports, running, weightlifting etc it took a long time to develop an alcohol addiction as I avoided it to try become stronger, when I did rarely drink I would drink until I was black out drunk and would always make a fool of myself. it wasn't until I was 22 and became extremely depressed and bored with my life that I turned to alcohol and gambling, I had saved money for an apartment for 3 years doing nothing but working and working out when one day I just snapped and drank every day and night for 3 months straight blowing all $80,000 that I had saved. I snapped out of it but it had now become my new coping mechanism whenever I was stressed or angry I would drink and gamble whatever money I could get access to. this continued for the next 3 years and I completely stopped working out, all I did was work, drink and gamble. Finally when I was 25 I quit gambling, I began to travel the world with the money I wasn't spending gambling and was the happiest I had been for a long time, but it wasn't long before I replaced my gambling addiction with Cocaine, being a very affordable drug in the UK I went from never using a drug beside alcohol to being drunk and coked out of my mind almost every day for a year straight. With the amount I was using I was pretty sure I was gonna die from an overdose eventually so I returned to Australia where I knew I would be able to avoid coke use, but the excessive alcohol consumption continued, strangely no one ever questioned it or asked if I wanted to stop, every time I did try quitting it would get bored and living in share houses people were always quick to offer me a drink and I was back to drinking 12+ drinks a night 3-7 nights a week. I've known its been a problem for some time but I always thought I could make myself stop without any help when I wanted to but it's always a temporary fix until I'm bored again and self destructing.

My only wish in this world is that I could have the willpower to never drink, gamble or do drugs again. Then I know I could live my life to the fullest and be a better person for all the people in my life. So finally I am reaching out to find help and talk about things rather than keeping it inside me and destroying myself.
    1 x
    Melody12

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi @ifgoingthroughhellkeepgoing goingthroughhellkeepgoing,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. It takes courage to record your thoughts and feelings and share them.

The Counsellingonline forum has a lot of members who are very supportive.

Sharing and then feeling supported can often help individuals to deepen their reflection.

We look forward to your continual contribution on the forum and please check out our supportive material on the website, there are a lot of articles and tips you may find interesting.

Kind Regards,
    Melody12
    0 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi @ifgoingthroughhellkeepgoing

Good on you for reaching out on the forums! Its a great first step to enable you to receive some support from other peers with similar experiences.
    It sounds like things have been an up and down journey for you over the years in relation to alcohol/drug use and gambling.
    Sometimes it can be helpful to reflect on what actually gives you that drive to use substances, of course a part of us might enjoy the effect it provides, but what about your thinking process or emotional response? Do you find you are more at risk of using in times of high stress, or when you're bored? What specifically are those urges that motivates you to use?

Often when we identify these, the next step would be to figure out other coping mechanisms or strategies to change how you respond to these urges.
    0 x
    MalKumari
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:31 am

Hi @tulip24,

Welcome to the forum! Hope you are well :)

We are always excited to have new members join our community and would love to hear stories about your journey!

We look forward to connecting with you and seeing some posts! :D

@MalKumari
    0 x
    chenille
    Community Builder

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am

hi @Nell*77* !

Welcome to the CounsellingOnline forums!

Here you'll find a supportive group of people sharing their own stories and offering support and advice to those in similar situations.

I look forward to hearing about your own journey!

Again, welcome :D

Chenille
    0 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Hey @Fossilize
    I notice you're a pretty new member here!
    I am camembert, one of the moderators.
    How are you going? Are you finding the forums helpful?
    Are we missing anything?
    I hope you're enjoying the forum... please reach out if you need anything or want to share any ideas!
    :D
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”