Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Nath6762

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 am

I’m not really sure what to do here. I just googled drug help forum. I “was” addicted to codeine for about 5 years prior to them changing the over the counter rules. 300-400mg a day.

Since that day I changed to tramadol. Mostly don’t exceed 400mg a day as i really try and be responsible trying to avoid max daily recommended daily doses but some days 600mg.

It’s now been like another 2-3years of daily use. I really don’t know what to do. I know it’s taking its toll more than it use to. I still have a high paying successful career. Function normally etc. No one has a clue. But the effects are mentally for me. I use to take it get happy be happy and super productive. Now I take it to function, but I’m generally just down.

I’ve agonised about wether to tell my sister (doctor) or go to my GP but I’m terrified of the ramifications of be “recorded” as an addict.

I don’t really know what I’m hoping out of this post. I think maybe just start of some sorts. Knowing this has to change, but not knowing what to do. 10 years is a long time.
    1 x
    chenille
    Community Builder

Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi @Nath6762

Congratulations on reaching out, often that is the hardest thing to do.

This is a space for individuals to share their stories and support each other.

A GP can't disclose your information to others without your permission. Speaking to a GP you feel comfortable is a good first step and may enable you to be connected in with services which will help you further.

Please keep us up to date with how you're going :D
    0 x
    Boloum

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi nath67something

My husband has been an addict on tramadol and has just started his rehab. I can't give any advice on how it will be for you or really give you much insight into how it is for him because it's early days for him as he has just started.
    He is on suboxen.
    I am keeping a diary of how things are because it's a hard bloody journey but hopefully it will be good to see his progress as he goes
    man i am so proud of him for taking this step.
    You are on this forum and that's a great step to admitting you need help. Keep going!!
    I'm.not going to lie it's hard. But so so so worth it. And as for being on the register for it now. Well. So be it. You will feel so much better.

Take care :) I'll keep an eye out for you on here.
    2 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 pm

great encouraging words @Boloum :) Great to hear that your husband is in the middle of treatment.

@Nath6762 it can be really daunting trying to ask for help or know what steps to take from here. Have you got any additional supports around you at the moment? Have you considered maybe speaking with an alcohol/drug counsellor to help look after your mental health and also help you through the process?
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi @Nightal ,

Welcome to the forums!

We're a community of like minded people going through our journey of recovery from substances.

We connect and share our stories, and motivate each other along the way!

If you're comfortable, share a little about your story!

Looking forward to seeing you around!

- HelpfulBee!
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Hey @requiem4me ,

Welcome to the Counselling Online forums!

Our forums are a safe and supportive space to discuss your journey with others! :D

We would love to know more about your journey, if you feel comfortable please tell us a little about what brings you here.

Looking forward to see you around!

- HelpfulBee
    0 x
    requiem4me

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi all.

I am addicted to ice. I started using it when I was 19. I am now 33. I would say in the beginning it was recreational, here and there. About 7 years ago I started using it more and more and now I use it daily. I have managed over this time to keep up appearances. I am studying at university, working casually, married with 3 children. But this last year has been really bad. I am spiraling, my grades are falling, I don't show up for work, my marriage is being affected. I am overwhelmed by my addiction and all the pressures of life and I just want to run away. I have tried counselling before, three times in fact, but I never stick with it. I want to go to rehab because 9 to 12 weeks to work on me without having to maintain life responsibilities (work, uni, family etc) is something I feel would really help. I have made inquiries and I really hope it's something I can do.

Anyway, that's all for now. If you got this far thanks for reading.
    1 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:26 pm

Hey @requiem4me
    Welcome to the forums.
    I am camembert, one of the moderators here.
    I am so glad you have found the forum! It sounds like you've been through a hard few years and now you're ready to make some changes. Good on you... its not always easy to reach out for help so you should be really proud of yourself.
    I hope you find some support .... we also have a 24/7 webchat if you ever need support :)
    Take care, camembert
    0 x
    Dontknowatall

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:31 am

Back to day
    no energy
    eating lots of junk food to get through
    partner has zero interest in me and taking tough love approach so thank god for services and caring people
    he'll probably come around but i really could have done with some support right now
    he just says sort your s!!t out
    0 x
    Firehorse

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:46 am

Hey Dontknowatall,
    Welcome to the forum ,
    I am really glad you have reached out today and Good on you day 5 no use
    Day 5 you are doing really well and yes the lack of energy can be very difficult to manage
    I hear its hard for your partner to support you right now and you can feel like you are alone
    You do not need to go through this alone
    What other supports do you have ?
    0 x
    spatzolar

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Change Makers,
    I started drinking problematically after a leaving a 5 year marriage where I experienced ongoing physical and emotional violence. It’s odd to talk about because I am male. At the time my son was 1 and I was a very hands on and involved dad. I also had a job that I loved that I shared with my ex-wife. It was a bit like two divorces. That huge upheaval I’m realising now was quite a trauma and one that I have blocked out.

My son is now 9, I am re-married and have a 4yo daughter. My son is with us regularly. So it is about 8 years of off and on heavy drinking.

I’m here because I’m realising that I don’t need to do this on my own. I can get support and maybe offer support. I started a business this year that is going really well and I know I can’t grow it like it wants to grow if I am still wiping myself out regularly with alcohol.

I find it really hard to connect with emotions amd I think that is sometimes why I drink. I’m often teary during a hangover and can’t block pain.

My hobbies are learning ways to automate life meaningfully with tech and cooking. I also read a lot of non-fiction around business, leadership, innovation etc... I’m inspired by people working together to face problems and become more of who they are as they face those problems.
    2 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Hey @spatzolar
    What a great post and so encouraging for others too - thank you for sharing your experiences and also acknowledgement on how hard it can be. Your strategies are useful too... what do you think you might do to engage more with your emotions without the drinking? That is always a hard one to overcome, isn't it - something that many of us struggle with for sure.
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi @Evee117 ,

Welcome to the forums! The Counselling Online forums are a place where we can connect with other people going through a similar journey to us.

I hope you find the forums motivating, helpful, and inspiring!

If you feel comfortable we would love to hear more about your own journey, and the tools and techniques that you find helpful!

Looking forward to get to know you more,

HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Scamps

Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Hi @spatzolar,

Reading your post tonight was inspirational. It is so rare to hear men talk about being victims of family violence, though I know it exists and have come across people that have experienced it. In that context I find what you write really open and that takes courage, self awareness and, I imagine, a dose of self respect. With all that on your side, I'm guessing you'e ready to start doing what you need for yourself and your family. You may well find that your feelings surface naturally when you stop drinking. I really just wanted to acknowledge your contribution and thank you for it!

Make the most of your opportunities, the journey and the learning

Scamps
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”