Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Hello @Queenofthesouthernlockdown (love the username), welcome to the forums!

Please feel free to introduce yourself, would be great to know what brought you to the forums. Do you have any goals in joining in we can help you with?

:)
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Welcome to our newest member @RMM!

What brought you to the forums? Please feel free to post an intro about yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you around.
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 am

Welcome to our newest members @Roxy1965 and @Rattle36!

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves. Would be great to know what brought you here.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:10 pm

welcome to our new members @Joshmar'cc , @Tash83 , @Emma.H. , @Arumsamsam , @Niner and @Latertomorrowsmind

This is a space for sharing your recovery journey with others who have lived experience. When you feel ready we'd love to hear your stories. We're here to support you and help with any strategies and tips for staying on track!
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 pm

a big welcome to our newest member @MistyPhoenix26 This is a space to share your story about addiction and recovery, and to connect with others who also have lived experience. When you feel ready we'd love to hear your story. :D
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:31 am

Welcome to our newest members @User 60cdf8d4448df and @Shar!

Would be great to hear what brought you to the forums and if you have any questions or goals we can help you out with.

Looking forward to reading your stories.
    :D
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:46 am

Welcome to our newest members @1988 and @Crossy17!

Please let us know if you have any goals in joining the forums we can support you with.

Looking forward to seeing you around.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 am

A big welcome to @alxrby , @anonymouslyaddicted, @Runz , @RicchRoss and @Nikilouise These forums are for you to share your stories, journey and recovery goals. You can connect with others who also have lived experience, and share any tips or advice you have. When you're feeling comfortable we're looking forward to hearing your stories! :D
    0 x
    Runz

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi everyone, I joined the forum because I have a problem with alcohol. I enjoy running and want to get back into it as soon as I can break my drinking cycle.
    I haven't run for over a year now so this is my goal. I can mange to stay sober for about 10-14 days (each time I try to quit) then reward myself by drinking a bottle of wine which leads to waking up foggy and drinking more is the quickest fix to function. I'm hoping to find some relapse prevention strategies on the forum, this is my first time seeking online help. I went to 5 AA meetings earlier this year but couldn't relate. Thankyou for having me xx
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:46 pm

hey @Runz , thank you for sharing your story, it sounds like you've had a few past attempts but need that final something to break the cycle of sobriety and the lapsing. I want to start off by saying that lapses are a common part of recovery, so be kind to yourself regarding them. They offer a really great opportunity to reflect on what has triggered the lapse and can help learn techniques to stop them from happening again. Do you have any other ideas about how you could celebrate without having a drink? That might be a good place to start, as it sounds like you've been able to keep a pretty steady record with the 10-14 day streaks of abstinence.

If AA wasn't the best but you'd still be open to group recovery stuff, it might be worthwhile checking out SMART recovery. It is sill a recovery focused group but has a more individualised focused you can find more information here.

You might want to check out some info here about techniques to help manage urges when they rear their head!

I think it would also be important to note that withdrawing from alcohol can sometimes carry some risks, I would recommend speaking to a trusted GP about the fact you want to quit so they can make sure you're going about it in the safest way possible.

I hope this is useful! I look forward to seeing you around the forums! And good job on reaching out!
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:04 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Haleth, @aliceterme and @Krystie!

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.
    0 x
    alicejane

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 am

Hi everyone,
    I'm a daily drinker who struggles to have an AFD...I'm still very functional in my daily life but I know I need to cut down so am starting a journey into this! Have started reading and listening to a few podcasts and am feeling hopeful. Thanks for having me! 😀
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am

Hi @alicejane,

Welcome to the forums! Well done on reaching out for support. I'm really glad you've joined this community. There's many people here going/have gone through a similar experience and you can also learn from what's worked for them. We also have two amazing peer-workers that can share their experiences with you, @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW. :)

Sorry to hear your struggling to have an alcohol free day, and thanks for sharing your goal to cut down with us. It's great that you're already reading and listening to podcasts so you can make an informed decision on how to go about your situation. Sounds like you're very determined, and that motivation and feeling hopeful can take you a long way.

I would highly recommend to have a chat with your GP so he/she/they can assess if you're alcohol-dependent and help you achieve your goal in a safe way. We can't provide medical or professional advice on here. Also, you can call our phone counsellors for free 24/7 whenever you feel like you need to have a chat with someone:
    -Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

Keep us posted on how you go and let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help, you're not alone.

Looking forward to following your journey in the forums! :D
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:27 am

Welcome to the forums @Healthyk and @Lily68!

Please feel free to post an intro of yourselves. We'd love to hear what brought you here and if you have any goals we can support you with.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.
    :D
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi @alicejane, thanks so much for sharing with us what's happening for you. It's great to see you reaching out and I know it's not easy so I take my hat off to you for that.

It's good that you've started seeking some solutions, may I ask what it is that you're reading?

When I was reaching out for help for the first time it was so important for me to get help from people who had been through the same things that I was going through and who had found a way out, it gave me so much hope and made me believe it was possible for me too.

SMART Recovery groups are great if you are wanting to try and cut down, it's a peer support environment where you can be supported to work towards any goals you may have around your substance use and it is a safe place to go through a process of trial and error. There are also other groups you can go to as well.

If this is something that interests you or if you want any more information please don't hesitate to let us know :)
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”