Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Harymol!

Please feel free to introduce yourself. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums and if you have any questions we can help you with.

:)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi @alicejane, it's great to have you with us and thanks for posting

I remember struggling for an AFD and putting a heap of pressure on myself to do it. All that pressure would lead me into the negative thinking with words like "failure" running through my head and leading to me wanting to drink more. I felt like I couldn't get anything right and wondered if I'd ever be able to stop.

I read in your post that you struggle to have an AFD......does that mean you haven't been able to have an AFD at all or that you can but it's a real struggle to have an AFD?

Start with small goals like starting later in the day............sometimes knowing that you'll be able to drink can relieve some of the pressure. Bit by bit you can stretch that start time later and later until it's easier not to start at all

Let us know how you're going and if you need any help both @ScorpionPW and I are here
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:15 am

welcome to our new members @PG @Lollipop 27 @Design2 @Shine01 and @MQ1111

This is a space for you to share your experiences and connect with others who understand the recovery journey! There are a lot of informative and useful threads to check out. I recommend starting in the Peers for Peers section,.

When you feel ready please feel free to share your stories, and what brought you to the forums! :D
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Light!

Please feel free to introduce yourself. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums and if you have any questions we can help you with.

:)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:58 am

A warm welcome to our newest member @Murray!

Hopefully you'll find the forums useful and a place where you can connect with other people that share similar experiences to yours. Please feel free to post an intro about yourself. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums and if you have any questions we can help you with.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
    :D
    0 x
    PG

Hello all - new member here.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi. I’m trying to fight a problem with alcohol use. It’s been a problem I avoided thinking about for a long time, but has become worse in the last 18 months and now I have decided to cease drinking altogether. I’m only a week in and it’s not always easy, but I’m getting help from my Doctor to deal with withdrawal symptoms. I really hope I will benefit from the community support here.
    4 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi @PG,

Welcome to the forums and kudos for writing your first post on here! Thanks for sharing your story with us. You'll find many other people here with similar experiences to yours, so you've come to the right place for some community support. For starters, I'd like to introduce you to our wonderful peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW and some of the fantastic members of this community @Simply me, @Gizelle, @Alvarosyd, @pdm411 @Dontknowatall

Congratulations on deciding to quit and getting help from your doctor to manage the withdrawal symptoms. What you've already done is not easy, it takes courage to take those first steps: becoming aware of and admitting the issue, deciding to take control and ensuring you get off it in a safe and healthy way. In the forums you can share your journey and everyone can learn together from what has worked and what hasn't worked for others.

We also have a couple of weekly activities you might like to participate in: 3 things to look forward to, 3 things to be grateful for, turning the negative into positive and share and inspiring or motivating quote.

If you have any questions on how to navigate or use the forums, please don't hesitate to tag @Lhiver or myself so we can help you out.

Please reach out at anytime, we're all here to support each other. :)
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for sharing @PG, I know it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help but it's so great that you have and I hope that it can help you to not go it alone.

It's great that you're getting help from your doctor so you can detox safely. I remember the first couple of weeks were really hard, not sleeping or being able to eat much.

I'd be interested to know if you've got any other supports and how you're coping in these early days?
    1 x
    Simply me

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:09 am

Heylo @PG n other folk,

Welcome to this safe space n place, where your sobriety journey can unfold n clarify. Share when you feel open to it, we learn and gain real life inspo from each other, pause or retreat when it feels right to, mayhap simply read. There's no pressure to contribute, but I've found when we do, others can share feedback and offer support, their experiences. Worth its weight in....
    Well done on that week one down, gnarly yet every day is a move in the right direction eh, even when at times you may wonder.....hang in....

Blessings n good vibes....
    3 x
    Haleth

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I’m not sure where to start but I’m giving this online place a go as I’m really struggling with my drug addiction and my planned treatment has been cancelled due to the current pandemic. Today I’m really feeling sick and tired of using for no real point at all but I still do it.

Hope to hear from others who understand how long term addiction is really really difficult to get out of.
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi @Haleth,

Welcome! Good on you for giving this online place a go. You'll find here others who have experienced similar struggles with addiction. Hopefully, you'll find this is a safe space and non-judgemental community. The forums are a great place to vent, debrief, share, learn, journal... Have a read at this post in the blog in which one of our peer workers shares how journaling has helped him to maintain recovery, and that's something the forums are great for.

I'm really sorry your planned treatment has been cancelled, I can only begin to imagine how frustrating that must be right now for you. Hopefully it was postponed and not entirely cancelled. Our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW understand how long term addiction is really difficult to get out of and can share a bit of their recovery journey with you.

Keep us posted on how you're going. :)
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Hi @Haleth,

I'm sorry to hear that your treatment has been cancelled, that's really hard and unfortunate. And thanks for coming on here and reaching out, it takes a lot of courage and helps us all.

It took me until I was willing to do whatever it takes to not pick up a day at a time (after safely detoxing) to break the cycle of my addiction. I didn't learn this on my own though, the support and guidance I got in 12 step groups in the community was crucial in forming new connections and learning what worked to help me stay clean because the people there had done it so it was evidence that it worked.

Do you have any other supports at the moment or are you open to finding some other ways to get help?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:09 pm

A big welcome to our newest members @Kymmoii92 , @Ohana2021 , @14days , @Vanila , @Mig Sl and @Miss Prism !

The forums are a space to share your story, share tips and tricks for recovery, and to give and receive support from other members of the CounsellingOnline community.

There are loads of great threads that are well worth checking out! Tonight we have Check-in Thursday, and our peer-support workers will be online between 8-10PM!

I look forward to hearing from you,

L'Hiver :D
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi @Haleth ……….that sucks that treatment has been cancelled but try not to give up. Has it been cancelled completely or just postponed? I wonder if you have an AOD counsellor at the moment or can look into getting one to help you through this period whilst awaiting treatment.

I work at a rehab these days and we’ve had people change their plans and not come in due to the pandemic and we’ve unfortunately had to delay the plans of others at times due to limited capacity and lockdowns etc

Try to stay focused on why you want treatment and if one door has fully closed then start banging on other doors. Start making phone calls to other services. Sometimes the worst thing we can do is sit back and wait. There are a number of options out there and if you start looking into them, making contact and getting on track for another treatment option you’ll feel a whole lot better about where you sit right now. Just knowing that you’re not giving up and that you’re still taking action can keep your headspace a lot more positive even though you’re still using.

Stay focused on wanting change and working towards the changes you want in your life.

I’m not sure what state you’re in but if you’re looking for a counsellor or some direction then give one of these numbers a buzz and talk to them about what’s happened and what you want.

You can call our alcohol and other drugs phone counsellors 24/7 for free on the following numbers:
    -Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

Keep fighting @Haleth
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 am

Welcome to @shaylagold ! This is a space for you to share you story and connect with others who have lived experience of addiction and recovery.

When you feel ready you can share you own story here! I look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”