Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Welcome aboard @Arteen welcome aboard the forums. Waiting for treatment can be a really difficult space to maintain and a lot of people spin further out of control during this time because the limbo period has a big emotional toll.

What's great is you've identified some of the things you love doing and this is key to keeping yourself busy and hopefully less inclined to partake in your addictions. Keep identifying ways to stay busy and sharing with us here on the forums. I'd love to know how you're tracking and am here if you have any questions about addiction or recovery or to support in any other ways possible
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi @Arteen, thanks so much for sharing that with us and it sounds like you've got a lot of really rich and forfilling things in your life...it just reminds me that addiction is a chronic health condition that does not discriminate and does not take away from who we are as people.

My drug use was a way for me to self medicate and cope with mental health struggles, depression, thoughts of ending my life and they saved my life in a way until they stopped working and exacerbated all the reasons I started using them in the first place. I had to get help from other people who had been through similar things as me and who had found new ways to cope and live life. I had to be shown that recovery was possible and how somebody like me could experience significant life change by people who had done it themselves.

I'm wondering if you've ever checked out any peer support groups like 12 step groups or SMART Recovery?

Also, what are you studying? :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am

good morning and welcome to our new member @Anecdotal

Welcome to the Counselling Online Forums. this is a judgement free community for people with lived experience of addiction and recovery. This is a space to share your story and connect with others, for support and advice.

You might like to check out the Peers for Peers section or maybe come of the Let's Talk threads in our Community Talk section

When you're feeling ready, you can share a little about yourself here
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 am

hello and welcome to our newest members @Steps and @RinKin

These forums are a place for you to connect with others who understand the recovery journey and share advice and support. This is a judgement free space!

This thread is designed to introduce yourself, so when you're feeling ready, you can post a bit about what brought you to the forums today :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:43 am

Welcome to our newest members @Gabz.. and @Stivy!

The forums are a safe and non-judgemental space to share and connect with other people going through similar recovery experiences. A good place to start navigating the forums is the Peers for Peers section.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, would be great to hear what brought you here?

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:31 am

Hey @Spyrina, just wanted to check in and ask how you have been going?
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Daniel130788!
    In the forums you will find an incredibly supportive community you can connect with in a safe and non-judgemental environment. You might like to start navigating the forums going through the Peers for Peers section. Please feel free to post an intro about yourself, would be great to know what brought you here?
    Looking forward to following your journey. :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Welcome to our newest member @tercs1985 !

These forums are a judgement free space fo you to share your story and connect to others. You can introduce yourself in this thread here, and maybe mention what brought you here and how we can support you!
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:27 pm

Welcome to our newest member @ReachingOut84 and @Sss86!

In the forums you can connect with in a safe and non-judgemental space with other people going through similar experiences. You might like to have a look at the Peers for Peers section or begin your own thread.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourself. You might want to share what brought you to the forums today?

Looking forward to reading you around. :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 am

Welcome to our newest member @Gerqlt!

Within this safe and non-judgemental space you can connect, share, be supported and support other people with similar experiences. We're all here to help and support each other, so please let us know if you have any questions we can help out with.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourself, you might want to share if you have any hobbies or goals in joining in the forums we can support you with.

Looking forward to following your journey. :)
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Just thought I'd check in @Spyrina and see if you'd feel comfortable sharing anymore with us.....In recovery I don't think there is such thing as failure. No matter how long any of us have been in recovery all we get is a daily reprieve.

I remember feeling like I'd failed in relapse then one day somebody said to me that I could just make a decision to not pick up for today and then worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. This caused a real shift because all of a sudden I wasn't trying to reach a destination of a certain amount of time of sobriety when I thought everything would be "better". I was able to just be present, focus on doing what I needed to do today to stay clean and tried to let go of the rest. Even after having this realisation, it made it easier to pick myself up, dust myself off and try again after relapsing because I knew that if I could just get that first day up I could follow on from there.

I've been abstinent for over 12 years now and still choose to just do it a day at a time. I hope you're ok and just know that we're always here if you ever want to reach out :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Good afternoon and welcome to @Lambchop2021 , @laceysmum , @johnsmith11, @Keelsa and @SilverSheep

These forums are a space for you to share your journey and connect with others! This is a judgement free space, and everyone has their own lived experience when it comes to recovery!

You can introduce yourself in this thread, when you feel ready :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:58 am

Welcome to our newest members @simplisticsquirrel, @MinMinion, @PL1974 and @Emmagouds!

This is a safe and non-judgemental space to connect with other people going through similar experiences. A good place to start navigating the forums is the Peers for Peers section.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves. Would be great to know what you to the forums, if you have any specific questions or goals we can support you with?

Looking forward to following your journeys. :)
    0 x
    Astraia

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:23 am

G'day @brighter neupane and welcome to this forum! :mrgreen:

This is a place for you to connect with others going through similar experiences. Here you will find guidance, support and a space free of judgement!

This thread is designed to introduce yourself, so when you're feeling ready, you can post a bit about what brought you to the forums.
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Welcome to our newest members @rusty12 and @Ready2102!

Thank you for joining our incredibly supportive community. Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Looking forward to reading you around. :)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”