Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Skeslien

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 am

I am new to this forum and I hope you guys can help me. I have a big problem with alcohol. I find it almost impossible to not have a drink at the end of the day and once I start I just don't stop! I really want to take control of this and would really value any advice you can give me.
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:11 pm

Skeslien wrote:
    Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 am
    I am new to this forum and I hope you guys can help me. I have a big problem with alcohol. I find it almost impossible to not have a drink at the end of the day and once I start I just don't stop! I really want to take control of this and would really value any advice you can give me.
    Hi @Skeslien,

Welcome to the forums! I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling to not have a drink at the end of the day. We are not medically trained and therefore cannot provide medical advice. The best advice I can give you is to see a GP. If you're alcohol dependent, there are certain health risks involved in withdrawal if you stop 'cold turkey'. A GP can help you set up a safe withdrawal plan.

Hope you find this helpful, and please reach out at anytime. This is a safe and non-judgemental space, and we're here to support you.
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Bibka and @Geranium!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourselves or ask any questions you might have. Within this forums you can share and connect with other people going through similar experiences and also our two wonderful peer workers. There's plenty of useful information around if you just feel like navigating the forums. You might want to check out the Peers for peers section or some of the threads in our Community Talk section.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi @Skeslien and welcome to the forums.........thanks for sharing with us. I'm one of the peer workers on here and @ScorpionPW is another peer worker. We're here to share our experiences and answer any questions you might have.

Addiction ruled my life for a long time and I identify with not being able to stop myself drinking at the end of each day. I never saw anything wrong with a few beers at the end of the day only my problem is that when I start I don't stop and I drank every day. The more I tried not to the worse I felt about myself every time i couldn't manage to do it. As a starting point I wonder if you've tried to delay your first drink?????

Finding something to do of a late afternoon/early evening to delay your first drink can really help. Do you play any sport or would you like to start playing??? Have you any hobbies you want to start or reconnect with??? Things as simple as going for a walk before or after dinner, cooking a fancy dinner that takes time to prepare, going to the gym, for a swim, having a hit of tennis or squash, hitting some golf balls at the driving range, learning to play an instrument, joining a book club, footy club, joining a friend in the park for a walk n talk, getting into the garden...........any number of things that you might like to do. What's important is delaying that first drink. The longer you can delay it the more chance you have of not having the first drink.

You might also like to talk to your GP about this. There are great support lines available too. I'm not sure what state you're in but maybe @Lhiver could put up the phone numbers of all the state help lines for me?? A drug and alcohol counsellor will be able to help you work on strategies to help too. Drug and alcohol counsellors aren't just for people in real trouble...........they're there to help before you get into real trouble. There's a lot of help out there and if you have any questions please tag me in your post so that I get a notification and I can reply. I'm on here two nights per week.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi @Skeslien, thanks so much for reaching out and letting us know what's going on for you.

I remember being in that trap, and it's the same for a lot of us that suffer from addiction. It's the first one that does the damage because it triggers the need for more. The idea that one is too many and a thousand never enough.

Once I stopped, the thing that helped me the most with not picking up the first one was getting help in 12 step groups by other people who are in recovery. I'm wondering if you've ever tried any support groups or seeked help anywhere else?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi @Skeslien I just wanted to pop up the National Alcohol and Other Drugs Hotline number for you. 1800 250 015, you'll be directed to the relevant service for you state! It's a 24/7 free and confidential service that offers counselling and referrals!

Let us know how you're travelling, we're all here to support you :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Carasar, @OrangeFrog and @Sage172

These forums are a judgement free space for you to share your journey and connect with others!

You'll be able to find advice and support from others who have lived experience of the recovery journey.

When you feel ready you can write a little about yourself here in this thread, maybe start with your goals or what bought you to the forums today :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Beefa @mmal @Jardie @soberlife @Marge55 @Aj_2020 and @w4k1ng

The Counselling Online Forums are a safe, non-judgemental place for you to share your journey through recovery! Everyone here has lived experience and is here to offer support and advice.

You can use this thread to introduce yourself a little, maybe just start with your hobbies, goals or what bought you to the forums today :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:20 am

Welcome to our newest members @bunglungs, @Stardust and @Lilriley22

These forums are a community space for you to connect with others who are also on their recovery journeys! You can share advice or reach out for support. Everyone here has lived experience and this is a judgement free space

When you feel ready, you can post a little about yourself in this thread here :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 am

Welcome to our newest members @Fish82 , @Nawe11 , @D Block Europe , @recovery21 , @Cruise , @G_Star03 nd @Coco98

These forums are a space for you to share your journey with others who have lived experience! This is a judgement free place to share advice and support, and help each other with the ups and downs of this journey!

You can post a little about yourself in this thread here, maybe your goals and what bought you to the forums today. I'll see you around the forums :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:04 am

Good morning everyone, I want to take a second to welcome our newest members @Naruto2022 , @Peter Smith , @Ziggy10 , @SomeoneSomewhere , @Costapo , @Blue2 and @Tswift21

These forums are a place for you to connect with others for support and advice. Everyone here has lived experinces and is going on the same journey!

If you haven't already, you can share a little about yourself in this thread, maybe what bought you to the forums today and your goals!

If you have any questions, feel free to tag myself or our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW

See you around the forums :)
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Good afternoon everyone! I wanted to say a special hello and welcome to our new members @Skat23 , @MPR01 and @Lakes !

In these forums you'll find advice, support an connection! Everyone here has their own journey and lived experiences and are coming together to share support and get through each day!

You can introduce yourself here in this thread, maybe a little about yourself and your goals!

If you have any questions you can always tag me using the @

I'll see you around :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:54 pm

I was just typing something over on Monday Meetup and thought it might be a good opportunity to reintroduce myself here. Myself and @ScorpionPW are the Peer Workers on the forums and are here to share our experiences with addiction and recovery. @ScorpionPW is online for an hour each Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night and I jump online for Monday Meetup from 8pm – 10pm and for Thursday Check-In from 8pm – 10pm. Feel free to tag us in any of your posts if you have any questions or thoughts around addiction, recovery, what’s happening for you or whatever else is on your mind. We both spend time surfing the forums and responding to any posts we think we might be able to help with.

A bit over 6 years ago I walked into rehab….…….October 19th 2015 I walked in and January 12th 2016 I graduated. From there I began studying diplomas in AOD and Mental Health and then began working as a Peer Worker. My career has progressed since then but sharing my experience has remained part of my work and being able to share on here helps me immensely with my recovery. I was lucky enough to have that at rehab and I believe it played a massive part in my recovery. Hearing from people who had managed to get on top of their addictions and maintain a lengthy period of abstinence gave me hope…………..and I hope that is what I’m able to do on here.

My addictions are not just substances but behaviours too. Alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex have all had major impacts on my life………….and continue to do so. My addictions have had effects on my mental health over the years and taken me to places that I was lucky to make it back from. If not for a twist of fate one night I wouldn’t be writing this post right now and my daughter would have grown up without a father in her life. I didn’t know it at the time but all those sh*tty experiences have helped me better understand others who are struggling with addiction too.

I struggled with addiction for 25 years……….for part of that I was aware I was an addict but for the early years I wasn’t. I did know that I used substances differently to other people though and that there was no “off” button once I started. In the early years I was just seen as someone who liked to party and who’d always be up for a good time. I had some great times but I don’t think I was ever truly happy because my addictions and mental health were intertwined…………….I was just really good at wearing masks that covered it all up. In the later years it cost me my marriage, the chance to be a live in father to my daughter, spiralled me into $20,000 debt and almost cost me my life.

Recovery hasn’t exactly been easy and still has its difficulties…………that’s because life isn’t easy and when the substances were taken away from me I had no idea how to live life or deal with anything it had to throw at me………good or bad. What I can say for sure though is that life is a whole better in recovery that in active addiction. It’s been a learning process and will always continue to be.

I’ve been heavily involved in 12 step recovery for the early years and then stepped away and in the last few years. I’m a SMART Recovery facilitator as well. I believe that recovery takes a team and takes time. It takes time to really get to know yourself………….the you without the addictions to fall back on. There’ll be lapses, relapses and other setbacks along the way………..what’s important is that you don’t give up. Recovery from addiction is possible if you just keep trying……….even though it may not feel like it at times.

So please feel free to tag me or @ScorpionPW in any posts if you have any questions, thoughts, insights or whatever else…………….we’re here to share our experiences and hopefully help you on your way to where you want to be. Feel free to log on to Monday Meetup or Thursday Check-In anytime too.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:47 am

Welcome to our newest members @lip855 , @Mahala , @Yacob , @Rosie2022 , @Serviceman78 , @Whattodonow , @Addicted to HC, @Anakin and @DR81 , @Malmo and @mstylee

In the forums you can connect in a safe and non-judgemental space with other people going through similar experiences. You might like to have a look at the Peers for Peers section or begin your own thread.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, would be great to know what brought you here, if you have any goals in joining we can support you with or if you have any questions.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:13 am

Good morning and welcome to our new members @Tinker B , @Diderot1784 , @Gloria2022 , @U.R.essential. , @Dani-B , @Abuserloser , @tooloud , @Stargazer2 and @Freddy Fastlabend

These forums are a judgement free space for you to share your journey and connect with other. Everyone one here has lived experience and are here to give advice and support.

You can use his thread here to introduce yourself, maybe share a little about your goals, hobbies or what bought you to the forum today. :D
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”