Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Wed May 19, 2021 8:12 am

Welcome to our newest members @Poly, @NancyBotwin and @Meowp!

In the forums you'll find some useful information, stories of others whom have had similar experiences to yours, as well as the support of the community.

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums. :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu May 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Heya @rachelchok93 and @Libby2234 !

Welcome to the counselling online forums! This is a space to share your own journey with recovery, connect to others who have similar experiences and share tips and support!

We have a few different threads which are well worth checking out such as our Peers for Peers space!

I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forums. :D
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat May 22, 2021 10:56 am

heya @Teebee , Welcome to the CounsellingOnline forum! Here you'll find a supportive community of people who are also going through recovery. We have a lot of useful threads. You might be interested in our Peers for Peers threads, which you can find here

I look forward to see you around the forums!
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Sonya1990!

In the forums you'll find some useful information, stories of others whom have had similar experiences to yours, as well as the support of the community.

Please feel free to post an intro about yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you around.
    :)
    0 x
    Scotland123

Thu May 27, 2021 1:36 am

Hi there!

I'm very new to this, and it's the first time I have reached out to seek help. I myself am a health care professional and perhaps that's why it's taken me so long to reach out, afraid of losing my job or my reputation perhaps. I've had a cocaine addiction for over 10 years now, pre moving to Australia and now also in in Australia. Along with cocaine use usually comes alcohol - and the depression that follow it - not to mention the money I spend. I never have anything left over to spend on things I enjoy or like, as it's a costly habit. This can then result in my working more overtime , and I end up in a vicious circle. I know I need help I just don't know where to start and how to keep it strictly confidential.
    0 x
    Scotland123

Thu May 27, 2021 1:37 am

Hi there!

I'm very new to this, and it's the first time I have reached out to seek help. I myself am a health care professional and perhaps that's why it's taken me so long to reach out, afraid of losing my job or my reputation perhaps. I've had a cocaine addiction for over 10 years now, pre moving to Australia and now also in in Australia. Along with cocaine use usually comes alcohol - and the depression that follow it - not to mention the money I spend. I never have anything left over to spend on things I enjoy or like, as it's a costly habit. This can then result in my working more overtime , and I end up in a vicious circle. I know I need help I just don't know where to start and how to keep it strictly confidential.
    0 x
    Melody12

Thu May 27, 2021 3:40 am

Hi @Scotland123 ,

Welcome to the forum Just thought I'd reach out to you while you are waiting for some responses from other peers.

It can be very challenging to know where to start, you may be interested in checking out the “Find Support” section on the website as it provides resources and tools for every step of change and you may find this helpful.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your own journey and seeing you around the forums.

Melody12
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 am

Welcome to our new members @ritch , @G5tar4u , @alexicon , @tayladunn13 , @Mikaf and @Camc !

These forums are a place for you to share your journeys with addiction and recovery. Here you can reach out for support, and share any advice or tips you have from you own experiences! Taking this first step to reach out is amazing, it'd be great to hear how you're all tracking this weekend?
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 30, 2021 11:41 am

Welcome to our newest member @MrsMac72! And congratulations for writing your first post in the forums. :)

Please let us know what has brought you here, and if you have any goals you would like to achieve that we can help you with?
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 pm

Hi @Scotland123,

Welcome to the forums! And congratulations on posting for the 1st time in the forums and reaching out for support for the 1st time too. I understand it can be daunting to seek help, especially being a health care professional. It's really understandable the fear of losing your job or affecting your reputation. I'm really glad you've joined the forums. You'll find this is a non-judgemental, safe and anonymous space to share.

Cocaine is a very tricky addiction but not impossible to beat. After 10 years, it has most likely modified your brain's chemistry, which means you'll definitely benefit from your GP's support. If you're looking to quit for good, the GP might prescribe you an antidepressant to get through withdrawal. I highly recommend you have a read at the factsheet on cocaine in the ADF's website.

I understand you're worried about confidentiality. You can also call one of our counsellors for free 24/7 to get a better idea on where to start and how to deal with the confidentiality concern. These are the phone numbers to contact them depending on the state you're in:

-Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

Seems like you're aware of the vicious cycle you're in, and that shows your self-awareness and willingness to put this addiction behind in your life. You're also spot on, cocaine and alcohol do tend to go hand in hand. Would you be able to abstain from alcohol too? Depending on the amount and frequency of your alcohol consumption, withdrawal is actually riskier. So it's definitely best for you to seek support from your GP, that is probably the most important place to start.

I'm truly sorry to hear you're caught up in this. But rest assured it's never too late and it's definitely doable. Our peer-support-workers @ScorpionPW & @Craig PW might also have some words of advice for you.

Hope this helps.

Please keep reaching out, we're here for you.
    0 x
    Scotland123

Sun May 30, 2021 2:27 pm

Hey, @Peace Dove thanks so much for your reply to my post.

The informational you gave has been very useful.

I probably should have been a bit clearer at introducing my relationship with cocaine. I believe it to be a psychological dependency rather than a physical one. I can go for weeks without but it's my first go to after a down day or a great day or any kind of day where emotions are up and down. I think a psychological review of how to manage my situation would be be a great start . I'd rather keep my GP's out of it. Due to my job etc. I have seeked advice from a non profit organisation in my state, so no links to my work places who are contacting me next week to meet with a drug and alcohol councilor and
    I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks so much for your message. Kind regards
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 pm

You're most welcome @Scotland123. I'm really glad to hear you found it useful. :)

Oh, ok. I see. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I understand you don't want to involve GPs. An AOD (alcohol and other drugs) counsellor does seem like the best option for you. In the meantime, you might find some useful information in the Making a change section. Good on you for reaching out to the non-for-profit! Do let us know how you go.

Have you thought about trying out the 100 Day Challenge?
    0 x
    Scotland123

Sun May 30, 2021 6:25 pm

f@Peace Dove - thanks so much for your reply. I of course will let you know how I go with the team I plan to meet with next week :)

In the meantime I'm finding this forum a great support. Could you tell me a little more the 100 day challenge, it sounds like something I'd be interested in :)

Kind regards
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 30, 2021 7:03 pm

That's great to hear, I'm really glad you're finding the forums useful @Scotland123. :D

Of course, the 100 Day Challenge is a challenge for yourself to go 100 days without your main substance of preference, in your case, cocaine. You can start your own topic for it within Change Makers, just click on "New Topic" and you can name it whatever you want. For example: 100 Day Challenge - I got this! And every time you want to jump in it and write, you just click on "Post reply" at the bottom of the page and continue your own thread.

There are many benefits to doing the challenge: using your own thread as a journal, using it as an accountability tool for yourself, having something tangible for you on your progress, having your own reflections written there for you to look back in the future, it's a way to prove to yourself that you can do it and, of course, we'll be cheering for you all the way whatever the outcome. For some people it works as a motivation, something to keep them going clean. If lapses or relapses occur, that's ok too (we're not going to get angry at you or judge you for it or anything of the sort). On the contrary, the goal is that you benefit from doing it. For example: one day you find yourself on one of those up or low days and instead of using, you come here and write what's going on your mind, what's making you want to use, what are other activities you can do instead of using, what triggers you've identified and what strategies you can put in place for the next time you face that same trigger.

The counselling you'll get from the non-for-profit organisation is really the main treatment. The forums are thought as a support tool, somewhere you can chat with others going through similar experiences and also bouncing your own ideas/reflections with us the moderators, as well as getting advice from the community and our peer-support-workers.

Hope this gives you a clear idea of what it's about. And I really hope you do want to give it a go (you've got nothing to lose, and something to win?). :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon May 31, 2021 11:07 am

Welcome to our newest members @shonz90, @Candace13 and @Yemma!

We would love to hear what has brought you to the forums and if you have any goals in joining too that we can support you with.

Please feel free to post and intro about yourselves.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums. :)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”