Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Bear33

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi Pluto!

Welcome to the forums, thanks for introducing yourself. It can be pretty daunting to share for the first time so good on you! I hope that you find the community helpful to share with :)

Bear33
    Forum Moderator
    0 x
    Melbourne_

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi I’m Audrey,

I’m sick of living in the merry go round of addiction so I came here to find help for a detox program.

I’m about to start withdrawing from my drug of choice and I’m absolutely terrified of the low moods and extreme fatigue but I want to be a better person now. I want to be around people who don’t make me feel paranoid. I want to have motivation and drive again.

I want to feel that magic love I used to feel for others again, you know, when you have a cr*p about other people and life was a lot easier. I’m so scared of wasting away another year on drugs and alcohol. I don’t want to spent my whole life in addiction.
    0 x
    Stewart97

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,
    My username is Stewart97 that I will go by on here.

I'm here to help give up my alcohol addiction.
    I've been a heavy binge drinker since I was about 16. I never really drank often but when I do there is basically no stopping until I'm too drunk to do anything.
    I could say I've had a rough childhood growing up in Africa with my father and stepfather both being alcoholics. I don't want to blame anyone for my decisions and feel I really need to cut out alcohol completely.
    I gave up for 6 months almost 4 years ago but have recently found myself on a slippery slope once again.
    I remember how well I felt and everything seemed to be positive in my life when I had given up.

Cheers
    Last edited by Stewart97 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    1 x
    Stewart97

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi everyone,
    My username is Stewart97 that I will go by on here.

I'm here to help give up my alcohol addiction.
    I've been a heavy binge drinker since I was about 16. I never really drank often but when I do there is basically no stopping until I'm too drunk to do anything.
    I could say I've had a rough childhood growing up in Africa with my father and stepfather both being alcoholics. I don't want to blame anyone for my decisions and feel I really need to cut out alcohol completely.
    I gave up for 6 months almost 4 years ago but have recently found myself on a slippery slope once again.
    I remember how well I felt and everything seemed to be positive in my life when I had given up.

Cheers
    Last edited by Stewart97 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    Justme_au

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Hello all
    where do I start; been trying to find help ring numbers only to find lots of them don't do it anymore or whating on phone hold for so long you give up; I only been drink heavy for about 2 years now I don't really know why trying to find that out; before that I would of been lucky to have a drink once a year. xmas just gorn I missed I was to drunk to go anywhere I unset my kids grand kids my wife and was really sick after it I deserved that in every ay.I did not have a drink again until yesterday 1/1/20 once gain I disappointed my wife she heaps mad at me and maybe lose her if I don't get this under some sort of control.
    if anyone has a idear on how to stop this crap.
    0 x
    Cat7

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi @Justme_au Welcome to the forum.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to reach out for help. Please continue to share your experiences with other forum members and hopefully you will find the information and support you are looking for.

As for stopping, a good start is having a look at our info on stopping and managing cravings https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/ho ... /self-help and seeing what things you might like to try and come back on here and let us know.

Look forward to hearing more from you, Take care
    Cat7
    1 x
    Tempest

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:38 am

Hello.
    I'm slightly terrified to be here. But it's heartening seeing I am not alone.
    I'm a tempest. A storm. Thats how it feels. I had a problem in my teenage years and early 20s with drinking. But it's started to creep back in now in my mid thirties and I'm finding myself drinking more and more. I have other addictions too and destructive behaviours and it's all just starting to overwhelm me not just mentally but physically. I'm afraid I will lose everything and everyone I love if I can't change. I have hope. But then I drink and I'm back to square one.
    1 x
    izy3

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:01 am

Hi @Tempest, welcome to this forum.

I am one of the moderators on this forum.
    Yes absolutely, you are not alone and there is always a hope.
    Please share your experiences and learn from other members so you can make a good change.
    What do you think makes you feel like drinking? It can be helpful to be aware what lies in your drinking.

Again, welcome to this forum!
    izy3
    1 x
    Vik

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Hey all, I've just returned from a break and am amazed by all the courageous, honest discussion that's been going on here!

I wanted to encourage you to make a new topic if/when you're feeling up for it - I think sometimes this thread gets a little crowded for individual replies and building connection with one another.
    Making a new thread means you'll be able to write about your experiences, get support from one another, and look back on your journey over time. And since we have a number of newbies all going through similar steps of moving forward, it's a great way for you all to properly connect with one another. Just a suggestion :)

Take care and all the best. Welcome to all of you!

Tagging in our latest newbies - @wakinguptobooze @Deep blue @Tanns @Ph0en1x82 @Pluto @Melbourne_ @Stewart97 @Justme_au @Tempest
    0 x
    Pluto

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:24 pm

@Tempest

I’m going through a similar course. What I thought was fun and cool in my teens and twenties has hunger to me and become a problem for me in for 30s. I hid everything form everyone until now. Your not alone

✊🏽
    1 x
    echo497

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi there,

I'm CJ and am new to this type of thing. Im still using, however, want to get off it and start fresh. I feel quite alone as my recently ex is a heavy user as are the rest of the people I have associated with during my relationship. It seems that no one talks of change or positive direction and it's hard to stay motivated when that's all you've got to work with. I can't really go and strike up a discussion with the supermarket teller about it and I think my poor dog is totally over it..... Lol :). I don't have any family or real friends so using is basically what gets me out of my head and to keep pushing on. It doesn't seem a big thing but my dog has been the most devoted friend I could of ever asked for, he has been through a lot with me and I think he has definately helped in regards to remaining calm and putting a smile on my face when there are times there is nothing to smile about.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)
    1 x
    Jack23

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:21 am

hi @echo497

Welcome to the forum and well done on looking for support.

It takes a lot of strength and courage to look at your life honestly and decide you are not happy with the way things are, especially when your group does not want to face their own issues and just wants you stuck with them.

Finding things to keep you out of your head is why we use substances, unfortunately after a while substances become part of the problem. Finding other ways to give yourself a break from negative and painful thoughts is key to stop using. Changing your daily routine that keeps you stuck is important. Exercise, healthy food, drinking lots of water, getting good sleep, having enjoyable activities, doing meditation are examples of how to distract yourself from your thoughts.

Look for things to smile about and your little friend is a great place to start.

I look forward to reading about your life.

Take care
    Jack23
    0 x
    Tahini11

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi,

I am completely new to this type of thing and only really just convinced myself that my drinking is becoming a huge problem and it needs to stop. I am a 30 year old mum, studying at uni and working a full-time job. I have a loving family and support around me but for whatever reason, I drink to de-stress. It's become worse and worse. I can drink 1 or 2 vodka lime and sodas and be fine and capable to stop drinking for the night, but as soon as I have my first glass of wine I cannot stop. I drink glass after glass after glass until there is no wine left,...and even when there is no wine left, there has been occasions where I have driven to the shop to buy more. I know how bad this sounds. The worst part is that I am drinking with my mum who I realise has a worse addiction to alochol than I do but I can never confront her about that. . I need to find ways to stop drinking with her but still have her in my life. We are really close.

In the morning and at work I will say to myself all day "I am not having a drink tonight", But as soon as 5pm rolls around it's like a switch goes off in my brain and I have this sudden urge and all the thoughts throughout the day just disappear and I know longer care of feel that I shouldn't drink.

Most the time I cannot avoid being offered wine. My parents pick my daughter up from school on some weekdays so I have to collect her from their house where there will always be wine. I can never say no. Even if I tell them not to offer it to me, my mum "forgets" and still does. It is really hard to explain because it sounds so easy to just say no or walk away. But when I'm there in the situation, and everyone else there is drinking, I just don't want to say no, I want to have a drink. I don't know how to not want a drink :(

I feel really uncomfortable talking and posting this but I need to start somewhere.
    0 x
    izy3

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi @Tahini11 , welcome to this forum!

You took lots of courage to come to this forum and share your story. I appreciate your big first step.

Here is Community Guidline for this forum. Have a read again. Specific types/brands and quantities of alcohol needs to be avoided to mention.

About your drinking, it is hard to stop your habit but it may be beneficial to think what you like and don't like about your drinking.
    Also what alternative activities do you think you can do instead of saying yes to your mum's offer?

I hope you will find some useful tips and advice from other members and also share your experience too.
    Again welcome to this forum today!
    0 x
    Ashhxo

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Ash, I’m 22 and I have a marijuana addiction. - Sounds like I’m on a tv show watching addicts in rehab lol. Let me just apologise for the novel I’m about to present to you...

I haven’t seen a post about marijuana addiction yet but I haven’t had a great look on this site yet either. Hopefully there are at least a few of you who I can relate to and talk to...

My first time trying weed/getting high was when I was 18/19 and it was the best experience ever for me. I guess I was kind of a late bloomer because everyone my age had already tried it or done other drugs way before that age, I was always so scared and hesitant with any drugs, I didn’t even drink alcohol much either. Wish I stayed that way to be honest...

Anyway, I started smoking occasionally (once a month/every couple of months) because I had a friend who was a very heavy smoker. So every time I hung out with her, I would get high with her. I did this for about 1/2 years and I definitely do not consider myself to have been addicted at that stage. I just did it purely for the fact that I was hanging out with her and it was kinda just like getting drunk with a friend and enjoying yourself and that’s all it was to me back then.

Fast forward to mid 2019 and that’s when the addiction started. So for a couple weeks straight, I had been having trouble sleeping... I do not remember why or the reason I was experiencing trouble sleeping at the time. This is where I made the biggest mistake... I got my friend to make me a little home-made bong to keep in my room for myself and took home a bud or two so that I could use it at night time to help me sleep. Turns out, I had the best sleep ever! As expected. But ever since then, I have smoked every day (with 1 or 2 days break in between occasionally) for at least 6 months. When I’m home, I usually only smoke at night time so that I can get to sleep but also because it’s more discreet as my dad does not know I am a full time smoker. (I live with my parents, my mum knows I smoke, but my dad does not and if he were to find out, he would probably go off.) - another reason I really want to quit!

Now I know I haven’t been addicted for a long period of time, but I can’t stress enough how difficult it still has been for me. I haven’t really been bothered by my addiction up until recently (didn’t want to quit), but I know my health is declining in many ways physically and mentally. I was a naturally anxious person before the addiction, but I’ve definitely noticed a mild increase in my anxiety and depression... especially when I’m having withdrawals. I’ve also lost quite a bit of weight which was a result of other factors, but I do think weed has contributed to the weight loss as well after researching a little bit. I am now considered underweight and hitting ‘anorexic levels’ as my doctor has stated.

So, I think I am ready to quit. I want to stop before I get to the stage of being addicted for several years, before it gets even harder to stop and before my health rapidly keeps declining. I have not been ‘without’ for any longer than 2 days at a time and on the days I haven’t had any, I get sooo extremely agitated that I feel like any little inconvenience would cause me to have a mental break down. And at night, it’s like I’m on crack! No matter how hard I try, I can’t sleep... I can doze off a little but never a deep sleep, I get the sweats, fevers... all of that fun stuff. It’s crazy to think that I’ve only been addicted for such a short period of time, and it’s had such a great impact on me. I never thought I’d be one of those people talking about their drug addiction... but here I am!

Hopefully ya’ll will read this! I know it’s long... but this is my first time talking about this situation and I just needed to get it all out finally. Thank you!
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”