Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Cat7

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi @Thenewme and @KS_. Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your stories.

It sounds like you are both at a similar cross roads where your drinking has effected your family life and now is the time things need to change and I know so many on here have been in similar situations.

I look forward to hearing more from you.
    1 x
    KS_

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    8 days since my incident, not a drop of alcohol, no cravings to speak of which I was expecting. Small issue with anxiety on Monday but i was meeting with a lawyer and was processing the whole thing.
    Feeling great so far, though it's early days.
    2 x
    M6396J

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi,

Recently coming to terms with all the mistakes I’ve made with substance abuse, and kind of just actually seeing what’s out there in terms of help. Mainly on here to read other people’s experiences. Also I only just just recently admitted I have a problem and want to fix things. So kind of on here to actually find out how other people did it and the struggles and successes people have had. My relationships have been damaged between friends and family and honestly I just want to be able to get them back to a shred of what they used to be. Iv lost a lot of people’s trust, and I never really understood the importance of it until now. But I’m also hoping that opening up will help me become a healthier and more mentally open person. So far just reading all your stories has made me feel a tiny bit more comforted so thank you for that :D
    3 x
    izy3

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 am

Hi @M6396J
    It sounds you have got a very meaningful realisation that how important your family and friends are for you.
    Acknowledgment of your problem should be a significant step that you took, so you can gradually build trust with them again.
    I believe it never be late. It may take time and may not always go in a way you expect, however you can only put yourself in a better position over time.
    What kinds of coping strategies have you got in place to address your problem with substance?
    Keep us updated on how you are doing!
    0 x
    Gizelle

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm

One thing I am finding hard to confront is a friend who wants me to stay addicted to alcohol. This friend will be upset. The online course I plan to do is Chaplaincy and this friend will be horrified even further about this. I am unsure why I feel so threatened by what this person thinks. I don't want to sabotage myself... I love this friend but am stifled by friendship.... Just want to be respected for positive choices I am making and criticised....
    0 x
    Jepo

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am

Hi. Brand new here. I have a big drinking problem. Have known for a long time but even that simple fact of writing it down scares the shit out of me. I am a husband, a father of 3 amazing boys and a grandfather of one amazing little girl. I have a great job, beautiful home, all the toys anyone could want and all i want to do is drink. I am losing my joy and need to act now. Interested in others stories and tips. Greg
    0 x
    Jepo

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am

Hi. Brand new here. I have a big drinking problem. Have known for a long time but even that simple fact of writing it down scares the shit out of me. I am a husband, a father of 3 amazing boys and a grandfather of one amazing little girl. I have a great job, beautiful home, all the toys anyone could want and all i want to do is drink. I am losing my joy and need to act now. Interested in others stories and tips. Greg
    0 x
    Js91

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 am

Hey thank you for having the courage to share your story im new here too and I've been smoking daily for the past 2 years I have had breaks ( longest 1 month )

I used to smoke a bit in my teens 14-18.
    Then I stopped.
    Then I started again at 26..
    I started smoking as a way to deal with being hungover.. I do not drink a lot of alcohol however I have had issues around alcohol use as I don't know when to stop so therefore I don't drink often, hangovers are really full on and depressing so smoking really helped with that until 2 years later I'm still doing the same thing.
    I'd like to know how your going
    Hope your well
    0 x
    Potato

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi, I have stopped drinking after 10 years of drinking everyday pretty much. I stopped for over a year then had a relapse where I just drank on the weekends but have stopped again. I just lost my job because I have missing front teeth among hour availability because of doing visits with child safety. I have missing teeth because 15 years ago I got hit and needed a root canal and the dentist didn't complete it. I went to the dentist 10 years later and they hit my tooth causing it to hurt and said the incomplete root canal had led to a abcess I got two other opinions and they said no abcess anyway I got the teeth pulled out anyway and tried a few restoration options which just gave me permanent nerve damage I have to take lyrica for. I think the dentist's did it on purpose to stigmatize alcoholics because I had nice white teeth.
    I don't have much hobbies, one thing that used to make me happy was having a boyfriend but I used to be attractive before I seen the dentist, now I just look horrid but my taste in men has not changed just because my appearance had making getting a boyfriend unlikely. Plus I had always got panic attacks around guys I like and I wouldn't want to put anyone through looking at my missing teeth everyday on top of that.
    A interest I have is looking up serial killers and watching clips on them on utube as I have always had a fascination with them. I also like watching clips from tv series I like or movies. I like scrolling Facebook for people selling things online. I enjoy spending time with my daughter as she is the reason I am quitting alcohol for so I can get her back from child services. It is hard on top of my PTSD, major depression and borderline personality disorder to have hobbies after having my children taken away when looking after them was all I did for 12 years and studied psychology and did disability support work. Given my position I think it's understandable I don't have hobbies.
    1 x
    Djarrimiri

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi my name here is Djarrimiri, which is Yolngu for children of the rainbow. It's the name of Gurrumul's final album, which is haunting, souful and uplifting all at the same time.
    I haven't felt emotions for a while now, it seems. I drink to keep emotions at bay - if I'm happy, I drink to celebrate. If it's a rough day, I drink to wash it away. It's been a crutch for difficult times, to shut my mind off when I can't stop it racing. I don't drink daily - I can go 2 weeks without drinking. I'm a binge drinker. My friends 'joke' that I don't have a stop button. I don't think it's funny any more.
    I can't keep wine in the house - if it's there, I drink it. At home, it is always low-alcohol wine. For the first time, I ordered wine in 2 weeks ago. I have now drank my place dry, broke 2 wine glasses in the process, finished last night, don't want to order any more. Feel shit.
    It's great to see other people talk about their minds racing, hyper-analysis. Like I'm not alone.
    I have 2 gorgeous cats, both rescues. My plants are healthy and gorgeous. I love hiking, I walk everywhere and am struggling in isolation.
    I have my own business and can work 24-7. I know that's unhealthy, and I try not to work but feel guilty every minute I'm not working. I hate that.
    I love clever comedy especially when it mocks social prejudices. My family are right wing religious narcissists. I worry that I'm the same. We are not friends, rarely speak. My aunts & uncles are friends and I've spoken with them. I have an adopted family in the UK that love me unconditionally.
    I'm fed up with not being able to control my drinking. I'm glad I can ring TP any time I feel like having a drink. They pick up quickly.
    I'm grateful for this forum, as sharing experiences helps generate coping strategies. I want to sort this out, why I do it. I joined the R2C programme and I hope it works. I want it to work. Consciously, I'm so done with drinking. In practice, it doesn't always work. What is up with that?
    0 x
    LustStarrr

Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:52 am

Hi everyone! Here's my answers to the suggested introduction questions. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here. :)
    1. A hobby or interest you have: I'm fairly obsessed with the acquisition of knowledge. I pride myself on being a source of useful information whenever possible, something that's particularly noticeable when discussing stuff that's personally of interest to me, like mental ill health, suicidal thoughts & behaviours, & substance use disorders.
    2. Something that inspires you: My peers. I engage in a number of peer support groups, & consumer/lived experience representative groups, both of which allow me plenty of time to speak to other people with a lived experience. The wealth of knowledge I've attained from the people I've met who have their own lived experience has far surpassed anything I could ever hope to gain from mainstream medicine & treatment settings, & the compassion & genuine connections I've forged have been invaluable to me over the years.
    0 x
    izy3

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi @LustStarrr , welcome to this forum!

I am one of the moderators on here.
    It seems you have been inspired, feeling connected and learning a lot by engaging with a couple of different peer support groups.
    That is a great strength you have shown.
    What kind of issue have you been experiencing around alcohol and substance?
    I hope you will share your experience if comfortable and also feel supported by other members on this forum.

Again, welcome to this forum.
    0 x
    Tors10

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm

1st time using the online forums, not my first time attempting becoming sober.
    Ill keep this 1st intro short and sweet.
    Im here, im ready, promise to keep the dr appointment this week and not listen to my family when they say i dont have a problem as addiction is normal for our family :roll:
    Im terrified ill be labelled negatively by quitting alcohol or shunned socially.
    Doing this for myself and my son. While im going through some withdrawals ive sent him to his dads for a sleepover tonight, hoping to feel a little more normal tomorrow and not so "lala".
    0 x
    Bear33

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi @Tors10

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it helpful to connect here with others who might be going through something similar, or who have come out the other side. It can definitely be a bit daunting to take that step to change, especially if you feel like there will be social consequences... we will be here to support you along the way :)

Take care,

Bear33
    Forum Moderator
    1 x
    mella

Addiction.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Addiction is a disease and I have struggled with it for the majority of my life. My friends call me Mel. I was drinking beer with my father from 7. My birth mother is an alcoholic. Been clean of everything but pot and alcohol for 17 years. Kicked Ice speed pills coke, the lot. Left many people behind to shave me and my partners life.
    I believed, even though over the past 17 years I have battled with drinking, that it was no worries but I have an addictive personality and the truth has hit me due to some very traumatic events just recently.
    It's like a monkey on my back who is constantly wanting to be fed and I fear I cannot overcome it, leaving devastation in my wake, breaking my own heart. I can't deny the truth anymore.
    My main passion is the theatre. Everything theatre.
    So I hope I can be welcomed into the group and thanks for reading, Mel
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”