Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Mark 46

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:25 am

Hi my name is Mark.
    I guess im here to try and get the motivation to stop drinking. I have been a fairly heavy drinker since i was 17. Im now nearly 47. Over the last few years i have been drinking more and more. Im not an everyday drinker im a binge drinker. When i look back on my life i really cant see anything good that has happened when i drink. Ive lost jobs, licences smashed cars lost contact with friends. Im hoping this site will help me. I am currently empoyed full time and live in a remote area which does make it a bit harder to stop drinking as i drink out of boredom alot. Anyway thx
    3 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:12 am

Hi [mention]Mark 46[/mention] thanks for posting and sharing your story here - it sounds like that you do want to make a change to your drinking but not really sure how to? It' a really great start, reaching out in one of these forums and getting some peer support. It's also a strength that you can sort of identify why you are drinking (boredom) and whether you have tried other means to reduce your drinking and do something that motivates or excites you, you know?
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi [mention]antisocial[/mention]

Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you with us....

Hope to see you around soon :D
    0 x
    The Mythical Liverbird

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Welcome to the forum [mention]Maykbe[/mention] , :mrgreen:

We're a community that's here to support each other! Feel free to have a look around and see what takes your fancy. We'd also love to hear a bit more about your journey, and what's brought you here and where you'd like it to go.

Looking forward to seeing you around. Any plans for the weekend you'd like to share? :)
    0 x
    Chickadee

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi I’m Sally ,

I’m two months sober from 30 years of drinking. The last 20 at problematic levels.
    I’m feeling good and confident just now . Often I worry about my long term ability to stick with it .
    I’m keeping busy just now with work and exercise I’ve even taken up yoga and meditation.
    My best tool at the moment is going to bed 😂.

Looking forward to finding some support
    2 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi Sally [mention]Chickadee[/mention] welcome to the forum :)

Congrats on going two months sober that's a huge achievement well done! :D

You've come to the right place for some support. Yoga, mediation and sleep all sounds like healthy options.

You might also find our blogs and self-help tools useful.

What are your plans for today?
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi [mention]Drect[/mention]
    Welcome to the Counselling Online forums!
    Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
    -HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Never_more_lost

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:57 am

Hey everyone, (apologies in advance for the length of my post)

I'm Scott and if I gave you a compile rundown of my life we'd be here forever, I've had a meth addiction on and off for the last 15 years but this time takes the cake for negative side effects and consequences.
    Im in a thought spot here right now and I'm barely hanging on to hope that I can make it through it this time.
    I've lost everything I've worked for again and I feel broken, hurt, lost and used by everyone I know that hasn't fallen by the wayside yet.

I was an addict in the past with alcohol and drugs, well I thought I was until this time around has made my past look like I was a recreational user.
    I went through the wars due to meth the first time and lost my family, my house, my possessions and worst of all myself... But I crawled my way back up to become a business owner and an unplaid mentor to local kids, a boxing instructor for the disadvantaged and bullied youth of my area at the time and teaching women's self defence classes, both were free every day. And I made myself available for whatever reason people needed me for.
    I was a gym junkie that weighed 114kg and had 17% body fat, full of pride, positivity and an understanding that life is precious and shouldn't be taken for granted.
    Then I had a change of direction and I almost felt that it was going to be my undoing before I made that stupid, idiodic decision to use meth again.

Because of that one decision that I made to use it again. I've since struggled to maintain my decency, I've lost everything I've built back up with again, I've been using more than I ever have before and due to that I had to become a seller to be able to support my 2-3 gram a day habit. I was 114kg of fit healthy man and now 9 months later I'm 72kg I look sick and everytine I try to stop using my body starts to shut down and I get really sick.
    Every mirror in the house is broken because I hate what I see, I won't and try to avoid going out in public as much as possible because I have no self worth any more, the woman I'm with that reintroduced this shit into my life after knowing my story has no intention of trying to help me get off but says she does.
    I've woken up to a home invasion where they were looking for my drugs or cash and ended up getting nothing but a headache for their efforts,
    Had a gun pulled on me, a knife held to my throat, shot at, stabbed, endless fist fights for no real reason at all even though at the time it made perfect sense..

To top it all off I've been trying to get out of this shit and of the drugs for over 2 months now and been emotionally blackmailed into keeping it going for "just a bit longer" then this happens!..
    We get raided and they seized 57 items which alot of it I had no idea about, none the less obviously I'm not going to let these kids go without a mum and end up going through system like I did So I exercised my right to remain silent and now I'm facing 9 charges 4 of which will be my third strike on each.

My life is over. I was suicidal for a couple of days but then I realised that I deserve whatever the judge throws at me because everything comes down to my own personal decisions and no one but myself is to blame for what happens to me. I deserve it and I'll accept it.

Sorry for the elongated post but I'm not sure what happens from here.. Just had to get it out of me to someone outside of this shitty circle I've found myself in before I get locked up for years.

If I can say anything, ffs stay away from this shit it kills anything good in your life.

I tryely hope that all of you out there with an addiction at very least can let it sink in what sort of horrible shit can happen from it before it's too late.

Take care guys. I hope the best for you all. ✌️
    0 x
    pulse88

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 am

Hi @Never_more_lost Thanks for your courageous and open sharing on the forum. You certainly are dealing with a lot at the moment and seem to be familiar with where your drug use has lead you once again. It is a very distressing time for you. Know that there is support available on the forum from other members, being mindful that they are all focusing on recovery-oriented ideas and motivation, and are there to go the journey with you. All you need do is ask them.
    Also keep in mind that the forum is not a crisis service and should you feel uncertain about your own safety, there is a Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467.
    We are all here to support you as you navigate how to go forward and deal with these difficult times for yourself. Welcome to the forum and hope to see more posts from you.
    0 x
    The Mythical Liverbird

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:44 pm

Never_more_lost wrote:
    Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:57 am
    Hey everyone, (apologies in advance for the length of my post)

I'm Scott and if I gave you a compile rundown of my life we'd be here forever, I've had a meth addiction on and off for the last 15 years but this time takes the cake for negative side effects and consequences.
    Im in a thought spot here right now and I'm barely hanging on to hope that I can make it through it this time.
    I've lost everything I've worked for again and I feel broken, hurt, lost and used by everyone I know that hasn't fallen by the wayside yet.

I was an addict in the past with alcohol and drugs, well I thought I was until this time around has made my past look like I was a recreational user.
    I went through the wars due to meth the first time and lost my family, my house, my possessions and worst of all myself... But I crawled my way back up to become a business owner and an unplaid mentor to local kids, a boxing instructor for the disadvantaged and bullied youth of my area at the time and teaching women's self defence classes, both were free every day. And I made myself available for whatever reason people needed me for.
    I was a gym junkie that weighed 114kg and had 17% body fat, full of pride, positivity and an understanding that life is precious and shouldn't be taken for granted.
    Then I had a change of direction and I almost felt that it was going to be my undoing before I made that stupid, idiodic decision to use meth again.

Because of that one decision that I made to use it again. I've since struggled to maintain my decency, I've lost everything I've built back up with again, I've been using more than I ever have before and due to that I had to become a seller to be able to support my 2-3 gram a day habit. I was 114kg of fit healthy man and now 9 months later I'm 72kg I look sick and everytine I try to stop using my body starts to shut down and I get really sick.
    Every mirror in the house is broken because I hate what I see, I won't and try to avoid going out in public as much as possible because I have no self worth any more, the woman I'm with that reintroduced this **** into my life after knowing my story has no intention of trying to help me get off but says she does.
    I've woken up to a home invasion where they were looking for my drugs or cash and ended up getting nothing but a headache for their efforts,
    Had a gun pulled on me, a knife held to my throat, shot at, stabbed, endless fist fights for no real reason at all even though at the time it made perfect sense..

To top it all off I've been trying to get out of this **** and of the drugs for over 2 months now and been emotionally blackmailed into keeping it going for "just a bit longer" then this happens!..
    We get raided and they seized 57 items which alot of it I had no idea about, none the less obviously I'm not going to let these kids go without a mum and end up going through system like I did So I exercised my right to remain silent and now I'm facing 9 charges 4 of which will be my third strike on each.

My life is over. I was suicidal for a couple of days but then I realised that I deserve whatever the judge throws at me because everything comes down to my own personal decisions and no one but myself is to blame for what happens to me. I deserve it and I'll accept it.

Sorry for the elongated post but I'm not sure what happens from here.. Just had to get it out of me to someone outside of this ***** circle I've found myself in before I get locked up for years.

If I can say anything, ffs stay away from this **** it kills anything good in your life.

I tryely hope that all of you out there with an addiction at very least can let it sink in what sort of horrible **** can happen from it before it's too late.

Take care guys. I hope the best for you all. ✌️
    @Never_more_lost , just checking in how you're travelling? It sounds like you've been through a hell of a lot over the years. I can see at the moment there's a lot to contend with, and I can only imagine the stress that arises from waiting on a verdict from the courts. I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced suicidal ideation during this time, what an awful headspace to be in. I hope you have some support around you, and that you'll make note of the number that pulse88 posted if it starts to arise again.

I also think it's definitely worth acknowledging the resilience you've shown in the past, having operated a business and done really good community work as a boxing instructor. It sounds like when you find your purpose, a lot of things are possible for you.
    0 x
    The Mythical Liverbird

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:44 pm

@Never_more_lost , just checking in how you're travelling? It sounds like you've been through a hell of a lot over the years. I can see at the moment there's a lot to contend with, and I can only imagine the stress that arises from waiting on a verdict from the courts. I'm very sorry to hear that you've experienced suicidal ideation during this time, what an awful headspace to be in. I hope you have some support around you, and that you'll make note of the number that pulse88 posted if it starts to arise again.

I also think it's definitely worth acknowledging the resilience you've shown in the past, having operated a business and done really good community work as a boxing instructor. It sounds like when you find your purpose, a lot of things are possible for you.
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Hi @Teesy

Welcome to the forums! Hope you're having a good one...
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi @Sawlce welcome to the forum! :) We'd love to know a bit about you and what's brought you here? Feel free to post in this thread or start a new topic too. We also run a weekly Monday Meetup 8pm - 10pm for a casual check-in with everyone if you'd like to join us - see here. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Welcome @Kiaya to the Counselling Online Forums! :D

We're so glad to have you here, what brings you to our community?

Looking forward to seeing you around,

- HelpfulBee
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:47 pm

Hey [mention]Nural[/mention] !

Welcome to the Counselling Online forums!

We would love to learn a bit more about you, what brings you to our community?

Looking forward to seeing you around - HelpfulBee! :D
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”