Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. To post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.

Event on now: Q&A on Prescription drug use, misuse and dependence.
  • I'm wanting to stop drinking

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Blippi

Re: I'm wanting to stop drinking

Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi @Devondale

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting!
    It sounds that you are after some strategies and support on how to handle your drinking. In this process is important to have a good support and
    Have a look around the forum for more strategies and motivational tips :) .

Let us know how you going.
    Blippi.
    1 x
    Devondale

Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 am

Hi @B@Blippi
    I think trying to replace the negative behaviour with positive behavior might be the way to go...
    Any other tips or suggestions?
    I think if I break the cycle I will really benefit.
    I have been drinking quite aggressively for a few months now.
    1 x
    Calvino01

Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Hello @Devondale ,

I'm Calvino, one of the facilitators on the forums.

Great to hear that you are willing to look at options on how to break this cycle.

It can be useful to get in touch with some outside resources such as counselling or detoxes, as coming off alcohol abruptly can be unsafe.

It is also important to look at what your emotional and social triggers are to drink. Asking yourself what thoughts go through your mind when you feel triggered? What are your trigger times?
    Many people use substances for many different reasons, most common reason is to help cope with unpleasant emotions or feelings. So acknowledging what goes on for you personally, can be both useful and important to the recovery process.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    0 x
    Devondale

Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am

Hi @ca@Calvino01
    I'm not even sure what my triggers are. When I don't drink I feel great. Very under appreciated at home and work but other than that I feel fantastic. I had a bit of a traumatic childhood that I am trying to work through but to be honest, that only starts to upset me when I drink. I have been seeing a psychologist for a few years. Have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and PTSD. But again that all flares up only when I drin@Camellia I seem to be self destructive. I think I have some self loathing I need to address. I have a referral for a psychiatrist at St John Of God hospital. I should be getting a call from him today.
    2 x
    Calvino01

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Good to hear you have the psychologist supporting you at this time. @Devondale
    0 x
    RedRock28

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi All,

New to the community. Have had issues with alcohol for some time now, and have (briefly) sought help in the past, but never really committed. Hoping to do so this time.

Doing this for myself first and foremost, but the positive is I'll have a far better relationship with my family which is most important to me.

I don't drink everyday, nor do I feel a reliance on alcohol to get me through a day, but without the network I currently have in place, I'd probably drink excessively most nights.

Hope to find some help and commit this time around.
    1 x
    Foxtrot

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi @RedRock28,

Welcome to the forums! Good on you for reaching out and deciding that you'd like to make a bit more of a commitment to getting some support.

It sounds like having a supportive network in place is important to you, so hopefully the forums are an additional space where you can share your journey and experiences.

Best,

Foxtrot
    0 x
    Deeker

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi, Im new here also.
    I've been drinking since I was 14 and am now 38. Ive been good at hiding it from coworkers and even family.. although some family know.
    I have a stressful job and now my boys are teenagers brings new challenges. My partner drinks also. Ive been through a bad separation from my boys dad and he was an alcoholic also. I have been raised around alcohol myself and have a father who is an recovered alcoholic. My brother has struggled with addiction. So its genetic for me...even though i have never had them both in my life. My mum drinks socially my step dad drinks socially and my step brother isolates I mself with smoking pot. I also isolate myself and have no friends. I drink by myself most days of the week with Friday and weekends mostly. I have realised lately how much alcohol is affecting my life and my health and how much I need to reduce or stop. I push everyone away. I seem to feel that my own way to relax is with alcohol. It seems that also my only way out of boredom is with alcohol. Or the only way to deal with stress is with alcohol. I have hobbies and interests but i have been putting alcohol first and not getting anything done. I dont my my teenage boys becoming drinkers. I probably have issues with life that I should sort out that may help me reduce alcohol usage. I feel so unmotivated and weak lately. Finally Im networking with others to seek help/advice/support 💜
    1 x
    Lady Bug

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 am

Hi @Deeker

I noticed you were new and wanted to take a quick moment to welcome you to the community! Thank you for your post, and for sharing your experience.
    You have great insight into your drinking and family history of it. Hopefully you can find some support within these forums to help get you motivated to make some changes.
    Are you looking into getting some professional support to help you deal with any underlying issues?

Kind Regards,

Lady Bug
    1 x

Return to “Lived experience”