Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Less Cynical

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Becoming cynical

Less Cynical

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi
    When l posted here at the beginning of September I was feeling quite hopeless about my partner, he got drunk the day he started Naltrexone. Here we are weeks later and he’s taking his medication, seeing the GP and AOD counsellor regularly and hasn’t had a drink for almost 2 months. A couple of weeks back l had this bad feeling that he’d be drunk when l got home. He said it had been a hard day and he’d thought about drinking and chose not to. Maybe this time he won’t lapse and the drinking will be over, or maybe he will lapse…. I am enjoying the break and respect his effort
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Less Cynical

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:18 pm

hey @Becoming cynical that's really great t hear! It sounds like he is making a concerted effort to stick with his medication and make an active change in his behaviour.

Respect is such an integral element of all relationships, so feeling that you are getting that respect from your partner again is so important :D

While it's difficult, do you feel you would be prepared if he did lapse?
    0 x
    Becoming cynical

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Recently we talked about what happened last time. He was sober for quite a while, maybe a year. Then he was offered a drink after work and thought that one wouldn’t hurt… On his good, strong, thoughtful days he knows that he can’t sustain moderate drinking. It has really been a lovely rest from dealing with his drunk self, so in some ways a lapse now would be more manageable than life was before. I know for myself that when l was trying to quit cannabis in ALL my earlier attempts there was a tiny part of me that was looking forward to my next smoke because my tolerance would be so low that l’d get very affected. Last time l stopped l didn’t have that thinking; it really was over finally. I also know for myself that there was value in all my quit attempts. I hope to be able to manage a lapse in a non-destructive way
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:20 pm

hey @Becoming cynical I wanted to check I and see how things have been the past two weeks?

I can hear a lot of understanding and empathy in how you view a possible lapse. Being able to draw on your own experiences takes a lot of strength and compassion.
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”