Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.
    Let's Talk! latest community topic: Motivation
  • Detachment, letting go, self care

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    FaithHL

Detachment, letting go, self care

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am

Hi all,

I am at the very painful place of accepting reality, and realising that I cannot control my partner, and that as nice of a person he is and how genuine and hard he is trying, I need to let go and let God and let him make his own decisions and come to the conclusion himself to realise he needs to take an honest inventory and want to change.

And I need to let him go, if not I will drown. I love him so very much, I have hopes of having a very lovely family with him as he is such a good man with good heart and great potential. But I am in such a painful place of realising that the most graceful thing I can do is set boundaries with him and for myself because I feel like I am going insane myself. The resentment anger hurt disappointment, not to mention the financial burden and debt I have allowed myself to get into enabling him and not addressing and facing up to my own codependency issues is going to make me sink.

So I need to start preparing myself emotionally, to accept reality, to keep telling myself, yes I love him very much, yes I hope for us to have a beautiful future, but as of now, I need to let him go to walk his own recovery journey, not pressure him, I need to set boundaries to protect myself, I can't rely on him because he is "sick" and needs healing, I need to focus on myself and get my life back, yes it is so painful, it is so disappointing, I wish that feelings I get when I look into his eyes and when he kisses me and holds me in his arms and tells me he loves me and is trying his best will last, but it is only temporary and it will only be real after he has come out of the end of the recovery tunnel fully. And there is a possibility that I cannot wait for that long as I am already in my early 30s. I have my own life's purpose and calling to pursue and realise, I have people counting on me and future people that will come into my life to help.

It is so painful and disappointing and I love him so so very much. :(
    Last edited by FaithHL on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    1 x
    Jack23

Re: Detachment, letting go, self care

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:16 am

hi @FaithHL

Welcome to the forum.

Well done on joining the forum and having the strength and courage to seek help and allow yourself to be vulnerable.

I can see how much thought you have given to your situation and how much you care for your partner. Being honest with your partner in how much his behaviour is hurting you is very important, it gives him back the responsibility to resolve his own problems and also to have the responsibility and choice to decide how important your are to him.

I hope your partner seeks help for his problems, and I wish you all the best.

Take Care.
    Jack23
    0 x
    Jelm

Re: Detachment, letting go, self care

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi @Faithful I dont know how you feel, but know that it must be one of the most painful decisions to make. I have a brother in law that needs to look after
    Himself, but my husband, his brother, continually digs him out of a hole, for 2mins, then he's back in one again, revolving door. I always thought, why shouldn't we keep helping him, look after him, hes a poor soul, then I dont know what it was, but totally get the enabling thing and how it's actually detrimental to him. I feel if we had let him go to the depths, maybe a few times earlier, he would be well by now, the enabling is prolonging his inability to function as he should be. So I see your situation as you need, in fact have to let him go, or he will never get better, and I'm sure you want that for him. And you may get your family back, even better than you could ever hope for. Unfortunately your the one who has to sacrifice, I wish it wasnt that way, but it's like, if he had cancer, and if he didn't go to this certain place for treatment he would die. No one would even hesitate to make him go, but mental illness you cant see, but is just as debilitating and devastating as any deadly disease. Forums like this are a godsend and your not alone, we are here for you, you have stayed with him this long, your strong Faithful, you may not feel t, but you are.
    2 x

Return to “Friends and family”

Counselling Online acknowledges the traditional owners of the land upon which our health service is built, the Wurundjeri People, part of the Kulin Nation, and pays our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging.