Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Suboxen

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Boloum

Suboxen

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi all
    Has anyone got any advice about suboxen please? My husband is starting it tomorrow.
    I'm really not knowledgeable about it at all.
    Wary of it being yet another drug .... however I get what it does.
    Anyone here have a family member or close friend take them?
    Can you share what it was like for you please

Thanks in advance
    1 x
    post_modernism

Re: Suboxen

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi [mention]Boloum[/mention]

I assume you are talking about the opiate-replacement medication Suboxone. It is certainly best to speak to your doctor about this medication, what it does, how it works, and what it is used for. But to put it simply it is a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone which is used to treat opioid-dependency. Yes, it is another drug, but the naloxone acts as an antagonist which blocks the physical effects of opiates in the body, making them less effective and thus decreasing their potential for abuse.

Having said this, it is important to speak about Suboxone with your prescribing doctor to make sure it is the most appropriate medication for your husband's condition. Nevertheless, this, in a nutshell, is what Suboxone is for.

Kind regards,
    PM
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”