Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • How to help stop relapsing

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Jas16

How to help stop relapsing

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Hello
    My boyfriend is nearly two years clean. Meth was self medicate to painful feelings.
    Now he’s out looking for drugs after a long night of punching walls and screaming at me that it’s my fault.... Everything I say is wrong, that I don’t understand how he feels and I should stop trying to help.

Do I have to just sit this one out and let him fight it alone?
    0 x
    Scamps

Re: How to help stop relapsing

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Hello [mention]Jas16[/mention], That's a really big question, and I would love to know how other 'loved ones' feel about it! When I hear someone is behaving in this way I find it unacceptable whatever you have, or have not, tried to do to help . Screaming at you and punching walls is very full-on and aggressive however he feels. It's great you spoken up! Your safety needs to be your priority always!
    1 x
    Jas16

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:06 pm

Thanks for your concern Scamps and I absolutely get your point that aggressive behaviour is it acceptable. I must say that this is not aggression directed at me or intended to harm, just directed frustration as he battles against himself.
    2 x
    teapot

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Jas16 wrote:
    Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:06 pm
    Thanks for your concern Scamps and I absolutely get your point that aggressive behaviour is it acceptable. I must say that this is not aggression directed at me or intended to harm, just directed frustration as he battles against himself.
    It really shows how compassionate and patient you are with your partner that you can see his aggression just comes from frustration, not a lot of people can see that. All of that said, I agree that you need to prioritise your safety first and foremost. If he's going to be aggressive, it's probably best to look after yourself and touch base with him when he's calmed down if you feel safe to do so.
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Hey @Jas16 just checking in to see how you're going and thank you for posting about your experiences - it takes a lot of courage to share personal stuff on a public forum. Hope you are looking after yourself and it looks like you have a bit of support here, on this forum too :)
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”