Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - friends and family

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Taries

Re: Introduce yourself here - friends and family

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 am

Hi my name is Trish and my mother is addicted to methamphetemine and I just found out she was addicted to cocaine before I was born, she’s hooked up with a guy down the road I don’t like due to his behaviour and choices etc and they have a vindetta out for me she’s kicked me out the house I just got paid off for her, they have put vros on me and made me breach them, and she has it in her head I’m going to put her in a home and steal her house. Anyhow they have just destroyed by dream of becoming a social worker, 3 years I had don’t and now as I have breaches to my name I can’t get a clearance for practice this year. It’s an evil drug, I have no other family either it was just me and mum.
    1 x
    Cat7

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:58 am

Hi @Taries,
    I'm sorry to hear things have been so difficult for you recently. I can hear your mothers drug use and choices have had such a big impact on your own well being, Are there some things that you do to try to look after yourself or would like to start doing?

I hope you find this community gives you some support and please keep us updated on how you are travelling

Cat7
    1 x
    ClaireM

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi
    My name is Claire. My husband suffers from depression and anxiety and is using alcohol to soothe himself. He blames me for everything and will always try to start arguments (especially on a Friday night). At first, I got sucked in the arguments, then I ignored the argument and tried to support him but he would then ignore me and push me away to trigger me and push me to the edge. Now, I just ignore him completely. I don't know if it is helping because he increases the drinking and tries anything to trigger me. A couple of days later, he realises what happens, apologises, says that he doesn't want to feel like that anymore, then a week later, we are back to square 1. It is draining and I am drifting away from him.
    1 x
    izy3

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi @ClaireM , Welcome to this forum!

I am one of the moderators on this forum. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    It sounds very frustrating and disappointing with your husband drinking more lately and blaming you for it.
    I get your feeling drained that you cannot see any change in him but end up arguing with him so many times.

Some people find it helpful to write a letter about how they are feeling and affected by their loved ones' substance use.
    Also reaching out for support by calling Family Drug Help (Inc drinking) may be helpful. (on 1300 660 068)

I hope you will feel supported and understood on this forum and get some useful advice from other members.
    Please continue to share how you are doing with us here.
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”