Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Meet the Counsellors

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    TheDees

Meet the Counsellors

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Hey folks, we're starting a new thread here to discuss counselling and recovery!

Have you considered reaching out to a counsellors? Professional support can be an incredibly useful tool for people who are in recovery. However, for many people the prospect of reaching out and speaking to a professional can be daunting. There’s the concern you may be judged or your addiction misunderstood, leaving you without the support you need.

In order to get people thinking about counselling it’d be great for people to check out the new blog posts “Meet the Counsellors”. These posts are written by our counsellors and discuss what drew them into AOD work and why this work is so important to them. They’re all people with their own relationships to addiction and recovery, who bring their own unique perspectives to their work.

https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/bl ... e-kathleen

Have any of you had any experiences with counsellors? It would be great to hear about people’s experiences and how they feel about counselling in their own recovery journeys!

:D

1 x
    Katiee

Re: Meet the Counsellors

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 am

I used for a long time, and every one was telling me that I needed rehab. However I have children and I didn’t want to go without seeing them for that long so the thought of Rehab didn’t sit well with me. I was in the mental health ward at the local public hospital and they had a worker from an organisation come in and she spoke to me about a 12 week drug and alcohol counselling that they provided free of charge. This sounded right up my ally as it was 1 hour weekly appointments. I decided to be brave and make the call to the central intake that day because they said there could be a wait list. It was only a 2 week wait witch i thought was great. I was anxious rocking up to my first appointment worried about what might be brought up and also if I was going to be judged. My counsellor was amazing. She was so laid back and she was really easy to talk to. As each week passed it got easier to attend. I learned some things about the drug I didn’t know, I learned some things about me I didn’t realise. I’ll share with you the best saying I got out of it, it’s still on my wall to this day, “pain is inevitable, suffering is optional”
    2 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi @Katiee

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure many will be able to relate to the fact that residential rehab is not always the most feasible option, especially for those with children. I'm really glad that you were directed to a service that suited your needs, free of charge, that the waiting wasn't long and you had a counsellor you really liked. Would love to hear if you learned any sort of strategies throughout your counselling. I'm sure others can too learn from your experience. I love the saying you shared, it's so true, and applicable to so many aspects of how we experience our lives.

:)
    0 x
    Katiee

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:30 pm

@TheDees

The main strategy I learned for getting through a craving is deep breathing. I laughed at the idea at first thought it was a bit of a joke. But we actually worked out how many breaths for me to calm myself down and get myself to a place where I can think properly again, for me the amount is 14 breaths, in through the nose out through the mouth. Now it hasn’t worked every time, BUT it has worked I’d say about 50% of the time.

Another exercise is a grounding exercise. It’s called the 5 senses. So you look for 5 things with your eyes and name then. You look for 5 things you can hear and name them. You look for 5 things you can smell and name them. You look for 5 things you can touch and name them. You look for 5 things you can touch and name them. This helps to bring your attention off your cravings and onto something completely different.

My biggest go to that I learned was distraction. So I have a diamond painting out that I go to so I can fully concentrate on that. Just need to completely distract the mind for as long as you can to ride that wave.

Like I said these don’t work all the time but I’ve only had to face a handful of cravings I couldn’t push aside with using these strategies
    1 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 pm

Wow @Katiee! Yes, those sound like really good strategies. And I guess its also a matter of practice, the more you do it, the better you get at them. Sounds like you've develop a really good insight into your cravings... Its wonderful how powerful something as basic as breathing can be. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
    1 x

Return to “Community Talk”