Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm getting a Subaru Impreza @PnorkelPW...It's so relieving to be rid of the big Ranger and its big loan. What are you getting?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Nice one.........I'm getting a Nissan X-Trail but it's a lease coz I couldn't do the loan

Recovery is full of gifts............if I was using there's no way I'd be doing this and it's taken a few years to get into this position

Scary going into a 5 year commitment though...........daunting
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm

It's Thursday night everyone!

I want to check in and see how everyone is travelling as we approach the weekend.

This time of the week can be difficult for many, so how are you preparing yourself and planning to stay on track over the weekend?

@Lee.B @paperplane @plusoutmatch @initae89 @WildeReformed @Wendyhammond1 @Dunk @DorisDay @Tiiu @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Spyrina @BonsaiBeginner
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi @Lhiver, for the weekend I am spending some quality time with my son, catching up with my girlfriend on Saturday night and doing some study to continue with my diploma. I feel like as the warmer weather approaches and we come out of lockdown things will be looking up very soon :D

What's everybody else up to over the weekend??
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi All………….Happy Thursday!!

I can’t believe what a difference a bit of time makes. About 5 or 6 weeks or so ago I was in a real funk. Nothing felt like it was going right, I was negative, sleep deprived, not exercising, frustrated and struggling to get out of bed some days. There was one particularly bad week where a bit of self care and space was needed……..so I took it. Throw a week with a full moon and an earthquake in there and it’s a perfect recipe for bad juju - LOL

Fast forward 5 or 6 weeks and I’ve started to feel the shift. I’m a lot more positive, sleeping better, still not exercising but not as frustrated and finding it much easier to get out of bed. It’s amazing what some time can do. I’ve been able to identify a few things along the way that have changed, another few things that I’ve changed……………but mostly it’s that some time has gone by. The longer I’ve gone without substances, the more I’ve been able to have some faith in this fact.

It’s not always easy to just let go and wait for the tough times to pass, in fact, one of the reasons things seemed to get worse in those weeks was because I was trying soooo hard to control things. I was trying to force outcomes to go my way and get others to line up with each other. If there’s one thing I’ve discovered in my recovery journey it’s that the more I try to control things the harder life gets. It’s actually one of the real “addict behaviours” ( I actually hate that term but it seems to just suit sometimes ) that kept me trapped in addiction for so long.

So part of me has let go. Part of me has started to focus on some goals. Part of me has just allowed time to pass and things have got better. There’s still a lot more to do but things are better. One thing for sure is that my energy levels have increased and now daylight savings has started I’ve managed to get some daylight after work. Vitamin D is highly underrated and has played a big part in my depression over the years. I definitely get the “winter blues” and knowing that has helped me get through the colder months. It’s allowed me to work some solutions to combat the depression. It’s a well known fact that lack of vitamin D can contribute to depression but I just haven’t done enough to combat it and this year and it totally slid under my radar………..lockdowns haven’t helped in any way at all because it’s been harder to maintain the emotion to keep moving.

So I wasn’t planning on writing this much when I started and I wasn’t heading in this direction………..but this is where I’ve ended up……….so I’ll just let go and roll with it – LOL. I guess what I want to share and for people to remember is just how hand in hand mental health and addiction go. Staying on top of my mental health allows me to stay on top of my addictions.

So for my RDO tomorrow I’m going to go and play a round of golf for the first time in 6 months, spend some time with a friend and do some things that ensure I’m getting enough fresh air and vitamin D. What are you going to do to look after yourself this weekend???
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm

hey everyone! It's Thursday again!

With NSW coming out of lockdown and Vic moving closer to it, how is everyone travelling?

@ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @CRAZYGRANNY @BonsaiBeginner @initae89 @DorisDay @Adison @WildeReformed
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Just counting down the days @Lhiver ...............can't wait to be getting some lifestyle back and being able to get active again

Picking up my new car tomorrow so that's something to look forward to

How you travellin?
    1 x
    initae89

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:39 pm

I've got a pretty great weekend coming up - starting to Christmas shop. Partner's birthday is today so I will cook a meal at home.
    And hoping to get some quiet time to do some work that I've been meaning to do too.

Happy Friday to all!
    0 x
    Scamps

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Happy Friday and happy weekend @initae89 and everyone else. Great to plan for weekends so they are more enjoyable

Scamps :))
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”