Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Re: Let's talk! - Starting the conversation, where do I begin?

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Let's talk! - Starting the conversation, where do I begin?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Starting the conversation, where do I begin?

You said you wanted information, we heard you. We’re introducing a new content series where we will be starting a number of discussions and activities about the experience of substance use, making change and staying changed.

In this topic we will be discussing the value of chatting to those around you about your struggles, concerns and goals.
    Starting the conversation can take a lot of courage, but for many it's one of the most valuable steps in their change. We will be talking about why it's so valuable, our concerns and our experiences, while sharing tips and motivation to take the step. This will be a great way to prepare yourself and share your experience with others who understand what you're going through.

Like this post now and we'll send you an email when the topic is open.
    1 x
    Vik

Re: Let's talk! - Starting the conversation, where do I begin?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Reaching out to someone close to you about your concerns and goals can increase your support. People with strong bonds who have supportive people in their lives can find it easier to stay on track with their own goals. But it can also be scary.

• What gets in the way of you talking to people about your struggles, concerns and goals?
    • Can you think of a time when talking to someone about struggles or asking for some help worked out well? (This doesn’t have to be about your drinking/use). If there was a time when it didn’t go well, do you have any reflection on what could help it go better next time?
    • Do you have some ideas, tips or motivation to share with others who might be considering starting the conversation?
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”