Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Holidays season - celebration and support

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Holidays season - celebration and support

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Hey lovely Forum Members!
    This time of year can be full of great things to be grateful for, full of wonderful moments with wonderful people. But it can also be a tough time for many, for a number of reasons. We thoughts we’d acknowledge this with a warming chat about this season, and perhaps talk about things which can help make it a good one.

Feel free to share with us perhaps how you’re feeling about this time of year, some words to help others, some tips which can help, or general festive chit chat.
    How are you feeling at the moment?

Santas & grinches alike are welcome.
    0 x
    Vik

Re: Holidays season - celebration and support

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:03 pm

you might also find our latest blog on sobriety at christmas helpful.
    0 x
    Vik

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:54 am

Just tagging in a few new members - as you've just joined us and are all working with managing alcohol, thought you might like to connect and support one another through this period :)
    @Mumlife101 @Ph03n1x @ABE @RachB @Stinger23
    0 x
    Midge0z

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:32 am

For most of my life Christmas was just a drunken blur. Ruining family get togethers with my obnoxious behaviour. When I first got sober I used to worry a lot about Christmas, New Year, Birthdays, Funerals etc. Early in my sobriety I used to think these were times when I was at greatest risk of busting. As it turned out (for me) I got through all these without thought of a drink. This included my Father's death, my Step-Daughter's Wedding (I had to walk her down aisle) and other, what I guess you'd class, as high-risk situations.

The times I busted were when things were going well for me. I felt great and had no real worries and this was the time my guard was down. I remember the day I busted after 23 years of sobriety. I was walking down town at lunchtime and just happen to notice bloke in pub across the road. He was siting at the window, looking out, and drinking a beer. I thought "Damm! That looks good" and within a few hours I was drinking.

I'm sober again today. Have great Christmas everyone. :-)
    2 x
    Calvino01

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience @Midge0z

Sounds like you have a pretty good awareness and it takes a lot of strength to tackle what life can throw at us sometimes. Especially without a drink or taking any other substances.

Glad to hear that you are now sober. Whats worked for you this time around?

(Also hope you have a Merry Christmas) :)
    0 x
    Vik

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Just want to drop in and wish everyone a happy holidays, hope you’re all doing well and taking care of yourselves today,

All the best
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”