Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us weekly for our Monday Meetups, 6 - 9pm ADST.
  • Let's Talk!: Setting goals for the new year

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Let's Talk!: Setting goals for the new year

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm

A new year, in fact a new decade, is a great moment to set some goals, resolutions and intentions for yourself.

We're all guilty of making general goals which we just as quickly forget about, or give up on when we face barriers or fall of the wheel for a moment. Investing the time into considering specific and realistic goals is the first key to success!
    Some helpful tips when developing goals:
    • Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals (Specific, Measurable, Active, Realistic and Time limited) can be a great way to make your goals successful. Healthlink have a helpful summary of this.
    • Imagine what could go wrong, and plan for it. How can you avoid it, how can you get past it?
    • Motivate yourself! Writing down why your goal is so important is a great reminder to keep you on track.
    Personally, for example, my current goal (not drug & alcohol related) is to spend 15 minutes journalling, every week day for the first two months of 2020. This is because journalling helps me clear my mind, which keeps me happier and more focussed. At the end of February I will review whether this is working, or whether I'd like to increase or decrease this. I always find writing things down helps me really consider them and be definitive in my resolve...

So what do you want to do this year for yourself, to move forward and be the best person you can be?
    What motivates you and excites you about this new year?
    No matter where you are now, what is your goal to move forward?
    2 x

Return to “Community Talk”

Counselling Online acknowledges the traditional owners of the land upon which our health service is built, the Wurundjeri People, part of the Kulin Nation, and pays our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging.
    Counselling Online is an inclusive support service.