Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Re: Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Thanks for contributing [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] !

I'm sure you'll be able to further build your support network with us here at the forums!

How have you been going over the past few days? Has asking your friend to no longer to supply/buy for you been helpful so far?

- HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Dontknowatall

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:29 am

Just checking in
    not much to say sorry
    day 5
    feel a bit rough
    like don't get me wrong i can handle it but at the same time it's still hard
    0 x
    Firehorse

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 am

Hey Dontknowatall,
    Thanks for checking in
    Good work getting to day 5
    Yes i hear its tough for you right now
    What are somethings that you are finding helpful right now ?
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi everyone hope you're all going well :) .

Welcome to tonight's Monday Meetup we'll be live until 10pm AEST. For anyone new this is where we catch up weekly and give an update on how things are going. Feel free to join us and introduce yourself.

The weekend has just gone by and is always challenging particularly this time of year leading up to Christmas. How are you managing with your goals? What are some distraction techniques you've tried? Do you have any questions for our community?

[mention]5fbbdfec230c[/mention] [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] it would be great to hear from you and have an update from last week if you're feeling up to it 🙂
    0 x
    Avoca

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:22 pm

This is the first day that I have learnt about this site. I am browsing all of the content. This is first day that I am openly acknowledging that I need more help with my addiction. To discuss my alcohol use in person brings me a great amount of shame and just cannot do that right now. I have told people close to me that I have a drinking problem and that I want to stop, but they just say "you're alright". That's because I have become an expert at getting by - a high functioning alcoholic. This has been my circumstance for 20 years. I've been told a lot of "just don't buy more alcohol". If only it were that easy for me. It's everywhere and available for every occasion. Day one for me is today. I must have had 1000 day ones in that 20 years. But, never with help. Never with support. I'm too ashamed of speaking to my GP because it would be the last thing that they would anticipate of me. I am so scared of the judgement.
    1 x
    post_modernism

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:06 am

Hi [mention]Avoca[/mention] and welcome to the forums.

Good on you for reaching out. It shows a lot of courage and from what you have said signifies something quite new for you. Perhaps the problem with 'day ones' is precisely that you can count them - yours are in the thousands. The fear around judgement is understandable - not everyone is sympathetic or comprehends the nature of addiction. My hope would be that your GP, as a medical professional, would not judge you for having a problem. For now, rest assured you have come to a place that will not judge you, and there may even be a certain degree of understanding here as well.

So, while there have been many 'day ones' perhaps this day one is different - a 'day one-of-a-kind' - insofar as you have reached out and opened up when usually you might reach in and close down. A small difference may lead to a significant change - though such changes do take time, and work gradually.

Again, welcome. The forum is a great place to share your experience and receive some guidance. I'd also suggest either logging on to our live chat or calling DirectLine or ADIS (depending on where you live) to speak anonymously to an Alcohol and Drug counsellor. Can be a useful source of support, especially when within the throws of an urge to drink.

Take care,
    post_modernism
    2 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Happy MONDAY everyone!

Welcome to tonight's Monday Meetup we'll be live until 10pm AEST. For anyone new this is where we catch up weekly and give an update on how things are going. Feel free to join us and introduce yourself.

Did anyone manage to watch the Addicted Australia mini series on SBS the past few weeks? Would love to hear from some of you on this
    If you missed it, we did a Q&A with Craig and Oscar who ran the peer support group for the participants. Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=339

How have you been this week [mention]Avoca[/mention] [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] ?
    1 x
    BeXta

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Hey everyone, I joined the community yesterday after learning about counselling online from the Addicted series.
    I’m looking forward to getting to know people and using the resources available here. 😊
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi [mention]BeXta[/mention] :)

Welcome to the forums :D its great to have you. Hopefully you have managed to have a look around. If you have any questions please let me know.
    I'm curious for your thoughts around Addicted Australia, what did you think of it?
    1 x
    BeXta

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:42 pm

I thought it was great [mention]Lady Bug[/mention] !
    Such a raw and honest show, and really respectfully presented. I felt such a connection with so many facets of different addictions, some of which I have never had myself, but it really highlighted to me the sense of shame that we tend to carry about our addictions, and the fear of what those around us must think about us for being addicted in the first place.
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 pm

I agree with you [mention]BeXta[/mention], it didn't shy away from the challenges of addiction, and the fact that it can happen to just about anyone.
    How have you been going over the past week with it all?
    0 x
    Simply me

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Heylo Folk,
    Didn't know about Addicted Australia series, but do now n will be watching that, thanks for the lead eh...
    I went about 12 months without booze, then have had a few lapses. Most recently about a week ago. Perhaps not appropriate place to rave too much, lets just say if I pick up I get re-sensitised, n cravings challenge reappears as presence. Bit of a flashback circumstance *sigh*. So picking up pieces and getting back on track. Came to visit forums and saw this live thread....
    Today I'm working to develop my inner witness /observer and notice with 'curiosity' feelings, heylo challenging ones, rather than acting on them. Get some more time under my belt, once smaller goals achieved it's the 'I've come this far' approach which kicks in for me it seems...breaking it down...
    Thanks, blessings n good vibes
    2 x
    Enbie

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:15 pm

Hey all,

Much like [mention]BeXta[/mention] I also joined last night after watching addicted Australia and a particuarly rough weekend :)

Tonight is my first night sober, so really happy to be having something to do. I have my first counselling session on Thursday. I wanted to cut down, but I've decided to give it up all together. IT's made me nervous as knowing i want to cut it out completely has made me want to have three nights of "last drinks" - no alcohol in the house though which is a start
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi [mention]Simply me[/mention]

Welcome thanks for coming onto Monday meetup :)
    Sorry to hear about your lapse; its a positive you are trying to get back on track though.
    I like how you are using some Acceptance and Commitment Therapy principals. Noticing your thoughts, feelings and experiences with curiosity, and no judgement. Just because we have difficult thoughts and feelings doesn't mean we need to act on them.
    Do you practice much mindfulness?
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:26 pm

Hey [mention]Enbie[/mention] :)

Welcome!
    Congrats on the first night- you can absolutely do this! Distraction will be key tonight.
    You have made such a brave and strong decision to give up completely. Many people find that they can't just cut down, as long as they still consume alcohol, there is always that risk of getting into that vicious cycle again.
    You are taking such a great step to change your life for the better
    1 x

Return to “Community Talk”