Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 pm

@BonsaiBeginner that's soooo great to hear...........it's amazing what perseverance will do. Learn from what works and just keep trying

Waking up feeling good without the regret of the night before is a feeling to hold on to..........keep going
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 pm

@BonsaiBeginner that's soooo great to hear...........it's amazing what perseverance will do. Learn from what works and just keep trying

Waking up feeling good without the regret of the night before is a feeling to hold on to..........keep going
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that with us @BonsaiBeginner, that is absolutely fantastic!

How good is it to not wake up with a hangover! I don't miss that one bit :D

It's so inspiring to see you kicking goals and finding things to motivate you to keep going, I really hope you continue to share your journey with us because it's so wonderful to see and it helps us all.

It's all about the baby steps when finding a new way to live and all of a sudden we thread periods of time together and everything feels easier, little by little as we continue on the journey of recovery.
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Hey @OceanSky,
    Just wanted to check in and ask how are you going?
    :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Howdy All………..another Monday is upon us. I’m around again between 8pm – 10pm AEST checking out the forums.

How was your weekend??

What worked??

What didn’t??

How did you look after yourself??
    0 x
    BonsaiBeginner

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 pm

It is Monday again and I made it through another weekend without a hangover. Hubby didn't bring home wine on Thursday or Friday, which was good because it was harder not to have a drink this weekend.
    Lockdown restrictions easing meant we could go out for dinner on Friday night. I did have a lemon/lime & bitters but only one and resisted the urge to have a cocktail with my daughter. I kept reminding myself that I wouldn't sleep well and would probably end up with a morning headache and inflamed sinuses.
    Saturday was harder. I felt great for the first time in weeks and started thinking of drinks to celebrate!!!!!! The day was filled with study and then an assessment in the afternoon. It was hard and I was extremely worked up by the end. I wanted a wine or vodka to wind down. There is vodka in the freezer. It belongs to my daughter. It has been there for the last 3 weekends and I haven't touched it. I was really tempted to have a shot but I went out and watered the garden with a coconut water and soda instead. It helped and the urge passed.
    Hubby did bring home wine on Saturday night. I did end up having a glass. It took me an hour to drink and I didn't enjoy it. My face went bright red in reaction. I wonder if the hypnosis is helping me not enjoy the wine and not ignore the minor allergic reactions?
    I am thinking ahead though, to when I finish study for the year next week. Part of me is already planning a binge and the other part is listing all the reasons I shouldn't.
    3 x
    Keita

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 pm

It's been a while since I've been on these forums. I suppose a huge part of that was, I wasn't having as much difficulty with managing my alcohol consumption as I used to. For someone who struggled to go a week without alcohol, who would laugh at the thought of doing a dry July, I have now been completely alcohol free for 6 months.
    I'm so proud of myself for this achievement, but it hasn't been an easy road. The struggle has been REAL! Especially with these lockdowns we keep having. Every time I feel myself get to the point of a total meltdown, I still meltdown, just not to the point of going "F this, I'm gonna get f'd up, f you all" cos, bruh sometimes I do be feeling like this on the daily! Then i remind myself of how far I've come, and how far I'm yet to go.
    These forums, at the beginning of my journey have been a huge help even with just being able to vent how I'm feeling and what I'm going through and that's made all the difference. Maybe not in a major way, but those small steps do count.
    So this is me, still making those small steps to get to where I need to be.
    3 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:29 am

heya @Keita That is such an amazing achievement! Congrats on 6 months without a drink!

It sounds like you've developed some better strategies for coping now then turning to grab a drink immediately. That's so important, especially at the moment with the uncertainty of lockdowns! And also moving forward, just having good coping strategies in place sets you up so well as you move through your journey. As you said, you can still have the melt down, (we all have them, honestly) but you've got to learn how to manage it safely.

Are there any techniques you'd like to share that have helped you over the past few months?

I'm so happy to hear that these forums were useful, that's really all we want to do is give people that space to vent and share where they're at. It's great to now that you found there here :)
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:45 am

@BonsaiBeginner Great work! It isn't easy letting urges pass, but what you did, weighing up the pros and cons, and doing something instead to take your mind of it are great responses! The more you let those urges or cravings pass without acting on them the easier it becomes!

The hypnosis might be helping you there! I want to say I'm really impressed with your forward planning. Knowing that finishing your study will be a major trigger and working out how to manage that ahead of time shows a lot of awareness and determination! Good on you :D
    2 x

Return to “Community Talk”