Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Relationships & recovery - Impacts on romantic relationships.

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Relationships & recovery - Impacts on romantic relationships.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Problematic drinking or drug use by yourself or your partner can impact your relationship in a number of ways. As can the journey of change. Sometimes this is positive, or negative, and sometimes a mixture of both.

How has it impacted on your romantic relationships?
    Do you perhaps have something to share that might help others - a story, some tips, or just something that's on your mind? We'd love to hear from you.
    0 x
    Mono

Re: Relationships & recovery - Impacts on romantic relationships.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Hey guys
    New to all this. Just had a episode on the weekend, where I couldn’t stop my drinking and get home on the agreed time that was set by my ex-partner and I. Which blow up in a massive fight in the morning and me getting kick out and driving 5hrs across the state while I was still effected by alcohol. I never drink drive I’m always totally against it. Now after reflection on it all I realised I need help. I hope I’m in the right spot. I don’t drink that often but when I do I usually cant stop.
    0 x
    Cat7

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:06 am

Welcome to the community @Mono
    Your definitely in the right spot, there are many here who have been in similar positions and can chat and support on the forums.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience, and what might be next for you.
    You might find creating your own topic in the Change Makers forum a great way to start a discussion on something relevant for you, or reading through other peoples’ topics there and jumping into the discussion.
    0 x
    Breaking1t

Fri May 15, 2020 7:08 am

I am starting my journey to break the cylce.
    I have underlined my triggers and it's seems a relationship is somewhat a trigger for me and I feel I am being held back by someone who I think I have to break free from to be successful in recovery and break this cylce once and for all!.
    That is how I feel as they do not support me in my choices and make communication easy just in one ear and out the other.
    As they have no intention of starting there own journey to recover
    0 x
    izy3

Fri May 15, 2020 10:30 am

Hi @Breaking1t ,
    It seems your relationship has not been helpful for your recovery and you really would like to break the cycle.
    How do you think the relationship affects you ? and vice versa how your concern with substance use makes an impact on the relationship?
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”