Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    BonsaiBeginner

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:15 pm

@PnorkelPW and @Lhiver I admitted to a few people yesterday that I was not okay. Today I feel relieved that I did. We aren't out of lockdown yet but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and I am determined to go to the beach this weekend because I won't be leaving my local government area to do so. I know a soak in the ocean will refresh body, mind and spirit!
    This evening I finally spent time with my mediation friends, we finally got a Zoom happening. It was so good to connect with them. It helped me resist being offered a drink when hubby got home. I didn't get annoyed that he brought wine home when I told him not to because he just hasn't realised I'm serious yet. Actually I wasn't even tempted and we still had a really nice time together enjoying the afternoon sun on the back lawn, playing with the dog.
    Tomorrow evening I am participating in a yoga Zoom. I will worn out afterwards and so won't as tempted to drink. Although left over wine in the fridge could be a challenge.
    I have bought a new novel and have plans in the garden. I have de-alcoholised red wine to drink if I really feel the urge. Last Sunday night it worked.
    3 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:39 pm

@BonsaiBeginner This is so wonderful to hear! It takes a lot of strength to tell those around you, you're done so well doing that. It's also good that you feel relieved, having this openness will mean you've got that little bit of extra support!

Having plan in place is a great way to manage cravings and urges. It also sounds like you have some really good fall back options as well!

Do you think that your hubby is more aware of how serious you are now?
    1 x
    Nugnug

Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi all,
    since my gf left just over 2 weeks ago, and took our dog, ive just in the last few days started to embrace my new life. Ive been smashing it at work getting lots of new work and raking in the $$.
    But, im still using every morning. unfortunately im a high functioning user meaning I can go about daily life successfully without anyone knowing, but me. ive been spending $200 a day and when I let myself think about this i feel SICK.
    The last 2 nights ive dropped my alcohol usage from 2 plus bottles of wine a night to 1 bottle and a couple of mid strength beers.
    I feel like I'm hiking a ridge right now with drops either side, but also knowing that somewhere up ahead the ridge meets flat land, happy regular life land.
    Im hopeful and scared in equal measures.
    0 x
    Nugnug

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 pm

thank you for asking, no im not ok. I am very good at floating above real life whilst looking present.
    I seem to live on a tightrope and its very tiring balancing. ive got very got at balancing but im not sure this is a good thing.
    from experience I know that opportunities present themselves out of nowhere and I think im now ready to accept the next one that comes by. I feel like I exist between worlds, successfully navigating them both but neither for fulfils me or makes me whole. I feel like a successful impostor, which is a lonely and sad way to exist.
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am

@Nugnug Thank you for being so open, it can be hard to admit that we are not okay.

what you've gone through recently is destabilising and feeling lonely and sad during this time is a very fair response. It's important to be nice to yourself right now, the journey your on can leave you in a constant state of flux and it can feel overwhelming.

How are you travelling today?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:05 pm

Howdy Team...........another Thursday is upon us and I'll be on the forums between 8pm - 10pm AEST as usual checking out what everyone has to say

What's going on for you?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:10 pm

hey guys! getting close to another weekend, how is everyone travelling?

@Katiee @BonsaiBeginner @OceanSky @Spyrina @Deyfhob @Arteen @Wyatt103 @Becoming cynical @Enoughs enough @ATG @Downward.Dingo @effycat @Ngoc0715 @jarrodm
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 pm

@BonsaiBeginner so good to hear that you're finding ways to connect through the difficulties of lockdown...........lost connections is what most people have struggled with this last 18 months.

Great to hear that you're finding ways to spend your time positively and that is taking away the drive to drink later on...........doing things that make you feel good naturally can help prevent looking for the artificial buzz later

Keep working out what works and doing more of it...............great work on admitting to other people that you've been struggling too......that takes guts
    Last edited by PnorkelPW on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm

@Nugnug I love the way you described what's happening for you and the words "successful imposter' really resonated with me. Keeping the truth hidden from so many people meant I always felt like I was lying and living a life that wasn't mine. I spent most of the time trying to convince myself that I was in control but the reality was I was walking a tightrope without a safety net and staying up there was exhausting. It was only a matter of time before I came crashing down.

Thanks for your honesty and admitting you're not okay............that takes guts and self awareness. Have you spoken to anyone about that? A drug and alcohol counsellor, psychologist, GP???? They could all help and may just be part of assisting you to find one of the opportunities you spoke about

Seems like you're doing a lot of thinking about change............talking to the experts could be of great help to you..........my GP was and still is a massive part of me getting into and maintaining recovery
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:17 pm

hi everyone! Another Thursday has rolled around and it's time to see how we're travelling as we get to the weekend!

@Spyrina @Gerqlt @Sssh86 @Keita @ATG @Becoming cynical @Nugnug

It'd be great to hear from you!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:18 pm

It’s Thursday………..start of a long weekend here in Melbourne and another weekend where there’s not much to do. I’m swamped with work and am going to try hard to actually give myself a break this weekend but I’m sure at some stage I’ll pick up the laptop.

I’ve been looking at some of the jobs around the house for weeks and feel like this weekend could be a great time to get some of it done. I’ve been through a bit of a rut lately and had been finding it hard to get up in the morning but this week something has sparked and I’ve been not just waking up early but getting up early. I really want to keep in this routine and get up early over the weekend to get things done and feel a bit of a sense of achievement and pride in self again. That’s what happens when I start getting things done…………..I feel better about myself.

I’ll do the usual beach walk and bush walk but I can’t wait to be able to catch up with friends again and getting out and about………..the loneliness starts to effect my mental health but I’ve been doing a pretty good job of keeping on top of that………but it’s been hard.

What’s on for your weekend??
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Another Thursday, another weekend ahead………..what’s your plan??

For me it’s not much. My daughter is with me this weekend so we’ll try to catch up with a friend and her daughter, get some fresh air and run around in the park. I know I need to get out and run around for a bit. I’ve had this sorta trapped feeling looming in the background during this lockdown so if I can get out and shake some of that off I’ll be much happier. It’s been tough not being able to go far but now the distances are expanding it’s opening the opportunity to catch up with some people and get out of my head.

That’s been hard………living alone, working long hours and every day feeling like groundhog day. I just haven’t spoken to enough people. I made an effort to call people on my hour drive home from work this week and it helped shake some cobwebs loose, break up the trip a bit and most importantly……….to have a laugh. Everything has felt so serious lately I’m glad I was able to find the lighter side of life again.

What are people doing to get some fun back into their lives? I just told my daughter we can turn one of the walls in my spare room into an art wall over the weekend and just go nuts with paint and textas and whatever else we can think of!!! I’m gonna paint the house in the next few months anyway so why not have some fun beforehand???

And you??!!
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm

it's thursday again! @Jack1947 @Tiiu @jarrodm @BonsaiBeginner @st8upnovass @m.c.s.m @OceanSky @StevenTum @SilverSheep @bertalc1

how are you guys travelling?
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Hey @PnorkelPW, maaan do I relate. This lockdown just feels heavier and heavier as it goes on.

It's definitely helpful that the bubble has expanded though, hopefully we get some sunshine and I can see some friends.

You often remind me to make a small shift, get some nature, get some sun, find some connection. Little things that I can often forget to tap into in the day to day...especially working from home through all of this.

That sounds like a lot of fun and there's actually a part of me that has always wanted to just let loose on a clean, white wall :lol:

I'm going to pick up my new car tomorrow so I'm excited about that and I'm going to see a friend that I haven't seen in months over the weekend. It will be great to shoot some hoops with my son too.

What are other peeps up to over the weekend?
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 pm

What new car @ScorpionPW ? Mine's only about a week or two away as well
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”