Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm getting a Subaru Impreza @PnorkelPW...It's so relieving to be rid of the big Ranger and its big loan. What are you getting?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Nice one.........I'm getting a Nissan X-Trail but it's a lease coz I couldn't do the loan

Recovery is full of gifts............if I was using there's no way I'd be doing this and it's taken a few years to get into this position

Scary going into a 5 year commitment though...........daunting
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm

It's Thursday night everyone!

I want to check in and see how everyone is travelling as we approach the weekend.

This time of the week can be difficult for many, so how are you preparing yourself and planning to stay on track over the weekend?

@Lee.B @paperplane @plusoutmatch @initae89 @WildeReformed @Wendyhammond1 @Dunk @DorisDay @Tiiu @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Spyrina @BonsaiBeginner
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi @Lhiver, for the weekend I am spending some quality time with my son, catching up with my girlfriend on Saturday night and doing some study to continue with my diploma. I feel like as the warmer weather approaches and we come out of lockdown things will be looking up very soon :D

What's everybody else up to over the weekend??
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi All………….Happy Thursday!!

I can’t believe what a difference a bit of time makes. About 5 or 6 weeks or so ago I was in a real funk. Nothing felt like it was going right, I was negative, sleep deprived, not exercising, frustrated and struggling to get out of bed some days. There was one particularly bad week where a bit of self care and space was needed……..so I took it. Throw a week with a full moon and an earthquake in there and it’s a perfect recipe for bad juju - LOL

Fast forward 5 or 6 weeks and I’ve started to feel the shift. I’m a lot more positive, sleeping better, still not exercising but not as frustrated and finding it much easier to get out of bed. It’s amazing what some time can do. I’ve been able to identify a few things along the way that have changed, another few things that I’ve changed……………but mostly it’s that some time has gone by. The longer I’ve gone without substances, the more I’ve been able to have some faith in this fact.

It’s not always easy to just let go and wait for the tough times to pass, in fact, one of the reasons things seemed to get worse in those weeks was because I was trying soooo hard to control things. I was trying to force outcomes to go my way and get others to line up with each other. If there’s one thing I’ve discovered in my recovery journey it’s that the more I try to control things the harder life gets. It’s actually one of the real “addict behaviours” ( I actually hate that term but it seems to just suit sometimes ) that kept me trapped in addiction for so long.

So part of me has let go. Part of me has started to focus on some goals. Part of me has just allowed time to pass and things have got better. There’s still a lot more to do but things are better. One thing for sure is that my energy levels have increased and now daylight savings has started I’ve managed to get some daylight after work. Vitamin D is highly underrated and has played a big part in my depression over the years. I definitely get the “winter blues” and knowing that has helped me get through the colder months. It’s allowed me to work some solutions to combat the depression. It’s a well known fact that lack of vitamin D can contribute to depression but I just haven’t done enough to combat it and this year and it totally slid under my radar………..lockdowns haven’t helped in any way at all because it’s been harder to maintain the emotion to keep moving.

So I wasn’t planning on writing this much when I started and I wasn’t heading in this direction………..but this is where I’ve ended up……….so I’ll just let go and roll with it – LOL. I guess what I want to share and for people to remember is just how hand in hand mental health and addiction go. Staying on top of my mental health allows me to stay on top of my addictions.

So for my RDO tomorrow I’m going to go and play a round of golf for the first time in 6 months, spend some time with a friend and do some things that ensure I’m getting enough fresh air and vitamin D. What are you going to do to look after yourself this weekend???
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 pm

hey everyone! It's Thursday again!

With NSW coming out of lockdown and Vic moving closer to it, how is everyone travelling?

@ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @CRAZYGRANNY @BonsaiBeginner @initae89 @DorisDay @Adison @WildeReformed
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Just counting down the days @Lhiver ...............can't wait to be getting some lifestyle back and being able to get active again

Picking up my new car tomorrow so that's something to look forward to

How you travellin?
    1 x
    initae89

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:39 pm

I've got a pretty great weekend coming up - starting to Christmas shop. Partner's birthday is today so I will cook a meal at home.
    And hoping to get some quiet time to do some work that I've been meaning to do too.

Happy Friday to all!
    2 x
    Scamps

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Happy Friday and happy weekend @initae89 and everyone else. Great to plan for weekends so they are more enjoyable

Scamps :))
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:10 pm

hello everyone! it's Thursday again! Here in Victoria we'll be waking up out of lock down, an exciting but for some stressful time!

How is everyone travelling as we reach the end of the week?

@initae89 @Ally22 @AnnieH @GretaG @Alvarosyd @Sunflowers1 @Newbeginnings19 @Giraffe004 @WildeReformed @OceanSky @BonsaiBeginner
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:11 pm

hello hello everyone!

on this very very rainy Thursday here in Melbourne, how is everyone travelling?

@Spyrina @red_capsicum @Birdy19 @Daisy61 @CRAZYGRANNY @Telz @Done @Dunk @initae89 @Tryingeveryday @PnorkelPW
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi @Lhiver,

I am really connecting with so many things to be grateful for being out of lockdown and leading into the weekend. It really feels like a veil lifting and feeling so appreciative of small things that were so easily taken for granted before this whole covid thing.

How are you? And how is everybody else?
    0 x
    Tryingeveryday

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:00 pm

@PnorkelPW

There are some great points you mentioned there!

I'm glad you're feeling more positive and you're sleeping is better. I found after substance abuse, the longer you go without it, the more of the little things in life you look forward too. The natural highs in life no matter how big or small. Sometimes finding motivation is a natural high for me now, others are big family events, something to do with work that brings me joy and it feels so good to get that naturally instead of chasing it when you're numb to everything else whilst using.

It can be extremely difficult to wait for the hard days to pass, same for emotions. The days I feel overwhelmed, upset, angry, disappointed...sitting there acknowledging that feeling and knowing it wont last forever is extremely tough but waiting it out is the best way to get over it. Trying to control or change your emotions, for me, is like shoving it under the mat and it all comes out after anyway.

Setting goals helped me a lot with my recovery short term and long term. Getting out in the sunshine always helps you feel better! The lockdowns definitely haven't made anything easy. Being forced to stay at home, limited to where you can go, where you can exercise and for how long makes you feel trapped at the best of times. How good is it to be out of lockdown finally!!

I'm from Sydney and that first week just felt so good to be getting back into a routine again. I always write long posts but I feel it helps get everything off your chest, a good way to vent about your feelings! Mental health plays a very important role in recovery, I recently saw my doctor about mine a few days ago and feel so much better knowing I'm getting help. I highly recommend seeing a doctor you trust if you haven't yet!

I hope your golf day was good and you enjoyed spending time with friends again! :D
    3 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Yeah I'm definitely feeling a shift now lockdown is ending here in Melbourne @Tryingeveryday

I have a brilliant GP that I go and see when I recognise the need. I've moved so she's an hour away but worth the drive when I need to talk or assess where I'm at. She's been with me for about ten years and was the second person I told I had a problem with alcohol..............or rather the second person I admitted it to.

I tend to write long posts all the time as well. My mind just fires and when I'm talking recovery I just feel the need to share as much as I can.

I'm gonna set some little goals moving forwards as far as my diet and exercise go and ease into the emergence from lockdown. I have some long term weight goals because lockdown hasn't been kind - LOL - but a day at a time I'll get there.

I'm definitely feeling a shift..........now the borders are open I might be able to get up and see some family in your town sometime soon too. I lived in Sydney for almost a year some time ago and enjoyed it...........it's orright..........but it's not Melbourne

There's nothing like that Harbour of yours though
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Thursday............no different to any other day really............just another day I've woken up and done the things that keep me substance free............and another day full of ups and downs.

Today had some high pressure moments for me and I wonder how or if I would have got through a day like today when I was in active addiction. I mean, I know I had days like these, I know I got through days like these but I feel like I made days like these so much harder in active addiction. I know that tonight I'll put my head safely on the pillow and get some sleep and that tomorrow is a new day where the sun will come up, the sun will set and there'll be more ups and downs.

Mindfulness came into play big time for me today. I had to concentrate on the task at hand and prioritise. I had to share my problems with others so that together we could come up with solutions. I made a big call today that turned out to be the wrong call and had a big impact on someone else. It was a call that we later tried to reverse but to no avail. I find that difficult to accept but it has to serve as a lesson learned. It's something I can put in the memory bank and make sure it doesn't happen again and it's something I need to reflect upon and move on. I find that difficult..........really difficult.........but life is about making mistakes. It's what I do from here that counts.

So I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I've spoken with others about it and we've discussed strategies for next time. I'm not going to obsess over it all weekend and let it drive me to drink.............because once upon a time I would have drunk over this. I would have gone over and over it and let it effect me negatively. I would have held a resentment towards myself over it.

But now I have a long weekend...............a much deserved long weekend. I have an opportunity to move on and switch off. I have an opportunity to play golf, go for a beach walk, a bushwalk, catch up with friends, watch movies, go shopping, get a massage, get back to the gym for a swim and a sauna, catch up some of the life admin tasks that need attention..............and much more.

Once upon a time I would have just written myself off for the weekend but now I don't need to do that. Now I know the value of life, of mistakes, of experiences. I don't have to have all the answers............I have to continue to be willing to make mistakes and continue to learn from them.

What do you have planned for the weekend?
    3 x

Return to “Community Talk”