Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Tryingeveryday

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a good Christmas, stayed safe with this environment around Covid. Stay strong over New Years, make sure to have a support person with you that knows about your History and personal triggers.
    3 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:27 pm

I was wrapped up in bed at 11pm @ScorpionPW and feeling safe………..ready to get up early and improve on the start I’d made to committing to change. I’ve hit the gym every day so far, improved my diet and deleted dating apps so I can focus on what I want my life to look like and get back into alignment.

I hope you had a great time in Byron
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 pm

So great to hear @PnorkelPW :) glad to hear you're getting some consistency back and looking after yourself
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 pm

Thursday is here again with New Year's Eve behind us and a new year underway.

What are your goals for the year?

What are you going to focus on??

What do you want to change?

What do you want to stay the same?

What would you like your life to look like 12 months from now and what are you going to do to work towards that?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:21 pm

Thursday again with another weekend about to roll around. If I'm honest I'm feeling a bit lost because I have no plan. I have lots of things I want to do........buy a kayak, get roofracks (maybe I'll do that in reverse order), play golf, donate plasma, gym, swim, sauna, spa, walk the beach, do some gardening, get my old car started so I can sell it, prepare the house for painting, research painting the house, research a trip away in a couple of weeks, spring clean the house............

There's more too and I'm now on 10 days off so I have plenty of time to do it but one of the problems I've had lately is that I've been overthinking things........I might actually write something about this in the "Reflections" thread because it's got my brain started. I get what is coined 'analysis paralysis" because I overthink things so much I don't know where to start and have too many possibilities running through my head. The secret is to just get started, to break it down into achievable chunks and get it done bit by bit.

Anyhoo..........they say a big part of recovery is staying busy but there has to be some balance in there too so I think I'll write a list, break it down into days and not put too much pressure on myself.

What have you got to do this weekend??? What's your plan???
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm

Another Thursday rolls around and another weekend is ahead. I’m planning on using it to continue getting some structure back into my life in order to……….this term really grates me for some reason but it’s true………create the life I want to live.

I’ve been talking about this a bit recently and it’s been my focus for a while and slowly it’s beginning to take shape. What I’m trying not to do is rush everything and implement the changes slowly. There’s been things I’ve wanted to do for some time but I don’t want to set myself up to fail by trying to put them all in place too quickly. I’m trying to learn from experience and experience has taught me that I set my goals too high and expect too much. When it doesn’t pan out I get frustrated and disappointed and give up on the idea all together instead of trying find better ways……..I’ve done it too often.

Getting back into karate has been on my radar but I’ve been uncertain as to where to fit it in…………as luck would have it I got an email last week offering the month of February free to rejoin. I’m going to take advantage of it and test the waters to see where it fits best and make sure it’ll be value for money to actually go ahead with it. What I found last year though was that it offered me physical, mental and spiritual satisfaction and actually got me through a really tough period by offering me purpose and somewhere to be.

I’ll do one but hopefully two kayak sessions to take advantage of the new kayak I bought. I’ll get some gardening done because I feel better when it looks presentable. I’ll start to paint a room in my house so that I’ve finally got the process started and it’s not another thing I’ve been talking about for ages but am yet to do. I’ll be taking a friend’s dog for walks so he can get used to me before he stays with me for two weeks next week. And I’ll continue to get to the gym for a swim, sauna, bike ride, weights session like I’ve done every day this week.

Over the next few months I’ll work on the balance of these things to make sure that my life has purpose, structure, challenge, fun and serves me best because it’s…………..a life worth living. I deleted my dating apps a few weeks ago to give myself this chance and take away the distractions. My hope is that if I get this platform in place then I might find what I’m looking for in a relationship because I’ll find the person that fits me…………instead of me trying to fit what other people have.

There’s been these changes on my mind for some time……..I’ve just not given myself the proper opportunity to make it work for me and sometimes it’s been self sabotage that’s prevented it.

What do you want in your life??

What’s been on your mind for a while but you haven’t done it??

What will help you create your life worth living???

What can you do this weekend to start the process?............a small step
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”