Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Thursday came by so quickly!

A warm welcome to our newest members here at Counselling Online!

Every Thursday we do a check in around how we’re all going and we like to think about how we’re going to tackle the weekend, because we know that for some of us, the weekends are extra hard!

So what are your plans for this weekend? How will you stay on track? Thinking about these things in advance really gives us the opportunity to plan, as they say, ‘fail to plan, plan to fail’.

Also, how have you been tracking this week? We would love to celebrate your highs, or support you in your lows.

Chat soon!
    -HelpfulBee
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm

It's time for another Thursday check in!

The weekend is nearly upon us, and for those in Victoria it will be the first weekend since the short lockdown. Temptation may present, as the amount of freedom we have slowly increases.
    Many people often celebrate their freedoms by indulging, or over-indulging in substances; It's the Australian way, apparently. But for some, its a time of great stress where they will be tempted to engage in unhelpful patterns of behaviour.

It's important to be aware that temptation will present itself, and have a firm plan in place to reduce the likelihood of giving in to urges.
    If an urge strikes, what will you do? Who will you contact, and what can you do to keep yourself busy?
    Make a list so you don't have to wrestle the urge when it appears. Call a helpline if you need to, call a friend or post here. There are plenty of supports available all through the weekend, day and night.

Good luck everyone, and remember that you're not alone. There is a whole community here waiting to support you, should you need it.
    1 x
    pdm411

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:40 pm

A little tip I've been using everyday is setting reminders on my phone, they go off several times arvo and evening, will be especially handy over the weekend.
    "Resist the urge, think of the consequences"
    But anything will work for me atm as I'm still reeling from last weekends events 😔
    3 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 am

That's a great tip @pdm411 thanks for sharing! :)
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Thursday comes around so quickly doesn’t it? ;)

Here we are another Thursday! On Thursday’s we like to check-in around our goals and we make plans of how we’re going to achieve those goals this weekend.

For our change makers, the goal is often around abstaining from their substance of choice. So how are you we going to make that happen this weekend?

A helpful technique is to reflect on your pattern of use and notice if there were times where you were using your chosen substance more – for example, for some people Friday nights after work may be triggering or others may find a lonely Saturday night triggering.. some may find a social Saturday night with friends triggering.

Identifying these triggering times and then making sure you have distraction activities to use to keep yourself busy during these times is a helpful thing to think about.

Try having a bank of strategies for distraction if the urges come up. These strategies can be things like having a shower, going for a walk, calling a friend.

During the week, say on a Thursday, think about your pattern of use and plan for how you’re going to manage the urges you may feel at these ‘peak periods’. Incorporate some of these more ‘standard’ techniques, and maybe reflect on where you’re at, what you’re interested in at the moment, the weather, and what’s happening around you at the moment... and try incorporating new and exciting activities.

For example, you’ve taken an interest in walking, the weather is sunny this weekend so maybe you’ll try a new walking route where you can stop off for lunch, or you could try a hike! Or you this weekend you could sign up for The Bloody Long Walk, where your goal is to walk 35km in the first 10 days of March. Click here to learn more.

Maybe you’ve taken a real interest in new and exciting cuisines, maybe a Friday night ritual (because Friday’s nights are triggering for you) could be to try a different restaurant in your area. Maybe you could do a burger challenge, or ramen challenge, or pad thai challenge where you try to find the one in your area.

These are just a few ideas but the options are endless! What's something different you can do this weekend? :D
    0 x
    Mez28

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi, first post in a long time.
    Your email Helpful Bee couldn’t have come at a better time last night.
    I feel like such a failure.
    I was going so well with cutting down on drinking.
    There’s no excuse really, just a terrible habit I’m in.
    1 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Hey @Mez28 its great to hear that our support (especially @HelpfulBee ) means a lot to you and is helping you on your journey towards recovery :)
    During this time of pushing towards changing habits and working through dependence, there will be days and moments that are so much harder than others. I guess the key is jump back on to that road and not be too hard on yourself - is that something that you've been able to do before? What works for you, during the more difficult times?
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi everyone another week almost over as we head into Friday and the weekend (long weekend if you're in Vic!). :)

What activities have you got planned? Share with us your favourite hobbies, movies or tv shows or perhaps you're working on a home project.

Being prepared and having a schedule of things to do can help keep you on track with your goals. We'd love to hear from you.

0 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi there members!
    Time for another Thursday Check-in! :)

How have we all been travelling this past week?
    What accomplishments/positives can you identify that has occurred for you?
    What strategies have been most useful for you that you believe could help somebody else also?

Remember that, putting pressure on ourselves to be perfect or to be positive everyday is unrealistic.
    It is how we respond to those negative days that count the most and how we approach them!

When we do experience a day that our negative self-talk is at high volume, our automatic response at times can sometimes be "How do i get rid of these thoughts/feelings" which then can lead us to look for a quick and easy 'fix it' solution, which can as you know, lead down into a slippery slope of familiar unhealthy habits.
    What do you think it'll be like if we changed that phrase into "I'm having these thoughts/feelings today, how can i best look after myself?"

This strategy is using compassion to approach the situation. Whilst also using acceptance. Trying to not go into panic mode where we tend to punish ourselves with the very thing that causes pain, all for a temporary relief.

In the next week I encourage you to write down at least two-three things your grateful for each day and also a daily reminder that you can keep near you in times where you are struggling or that negative self-talk kicks in.

Approach yourself with Kindness :)
    1 x
    Gizelle

Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:49 am

Hello
    I tell myself I'm not worthy to work with people who have high self-esteem and confidence. Decent people who have had loving and supportive upbringings. I'm just not good enough. I can provide infinite reasons to support this attitude.
    Then I remind myself that to evolve into a better species we need to be kind to ourselves and to each other.
    I wish I was one of those high self-esteem and confident people....
    I don't like drinking but there's a bottle of wine in the fridge that I might drink later.
    1 x
    Gizelle

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:43 pm

No I don't want or need that bottle of wine. Not today. Let's see how I go :)
    2 x
    Gizelle

Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Bottle of wine still in fridge :D
    1 x
    Zephyr

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi @Gizelle ,

Thanks for your great contributions above!

Sometimes those kinds of thoughts (negative self talk and comparing ourselves with others) can make it really hard for us to move a few steps forward, however, you did succeed in your goal of leaving the bottle in the fridge! Yay for you! Do you mind if I ask if there was anything you did or told yourself differently that might have made it easier to do that?
    1 x
    Gizelle

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Hello Zephyr

It was sharing on this forum. I didn't feel so alone or anxious. I realised when I voiced the fact I don't like alcohol, I heard the sincerity and truth in this. Hopefully a breakthrough has occurred.

The bottle of wine is still in the fridge:)
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi everyone Thursday has come around real quick again :)

How has your week been so far? If you're new to our forum this is where we share weekly tips on how to prepare to stay sober for the weekend.

This can include a range of things such as planning a day to be spent with family and friends, doing a home project like gardening or arts and craft, taking the dog for a walk or going to the gym.

Let us know what you've got planned and any tips you'd like to share.
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”