Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Angelgirl

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Yea, I did see all four episodes of "Addicted Australia", very interesting documentary. In regards to having pets, I have found them so important and a source of great comfort. I have two Cavalier King Charles spaniels myself.

Christmas is a difficult time for me. My lovely Dad passed away suddenly in May 2018 and we always used t spend Christmas together at the Salvation Army Christmas lunch. I don't go anymore because it would just be too difficult without him. I miss him every day, but especially at times like Christmas, which used to be a happy time we would spend together.

This weekend I have a lot of study to do. I am completing my Masters at the moment, so there is always work to do there. One thing I started doing every single morning is going to the gym for half an hour. I live pretty close, so it's not too much of a hassle. I find it is a great way to start the day.

My bestie is over in the U.S and with the international travel situation at the moment, I have no hope of being able to go see him over the Christmas period. Sad, considering we had a lovely Christmas together in Colorado last year.
    1 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Hey [mention]Angelgirl[/mention] it was so nice to read your post and what you do over the weekends to get by and also around Christmas time. I am really sorry to hear about your dad - that would be so difficult to deal with and it seems many people with similar stories have a hard time over the holiday period. Good on you for joining the gym and making it part of your routine, and keeping your dogs active must keep you really busy!
    1 x
    SummerSummer

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi,
    It's been a very long time coming ((years)) and Wednesday night pretty much nearly ended my relationship, so this was the massive kick up the butt I needed to actually take steps to control my addiction to alcohol..This weekend will be my 1st sober wkend in forever, even if I have just a couple I'm still drinking...I can give myself a pat on the back tonight as I drove home and didn't pull into get 2 cans at 10% each at down b4 I got home, my partner wrote to me saying she is very anxious, this is my doing bcoz I lie to her face when she asks if I've drank, even thou I know she can smell it, so when I see her in a moment , I can proudly say * I did it* I made it home with getting drinks!! This might not seem huge but it is for me for us, so tonight dinner at the beach and a movie and cuddles, then beauty pamper stuff together tomorrow and Sunday walk our dogs and tinky in my garden to keep my mind occupied. If I can do this weekend, I will be soooo happy, I want my partner to be proud of me not anxious I'm searching or sneaking drinks...have a great sober wkend everyone:)
    1 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Wow good work [mention]SummerSummer[/mention] - it sounds like you achieved an amazing goal yesterday! You really do deserve to pat yourself on the back!!
    I like your plan for the weekend... it sounds like distractions really help you.
    Enjoy the company of your dogs and all the fun things you have planned.
    We are here if you need some additional support throughout the weekend
    Take care, camembert
    0 x
    SummerSummer

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and also reply, your support did help with having my 1st sober weekend in, well years...Haven't had a drink since last Wednesday night and atm I'm feeling rather positive and actual proud of myself, my fiancee has been a huge support too this weekend, checking to see how I was feeling and we both working as a team to get my drinking under control! Today is a good day :) Have a great week :)
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Thats so great to hear [mention]SummerSummer[/mention] !
    I've liked reading your posts and following you on your journey.
    I'm glad you have the support of your fiance and that you had your first sober weekend.

How have you been going over the past few days? Any struggles or small wins?
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Thursday has come around very quickly! Christmas is just over two weeks away – eek!

How are we all feeling about Christmas coming up so soon?

If you haven’t already had a chance, some of the Community Builders here at Counselling Online have shared some of their favourite tips for managing the festive season. Click here to read more!

Is there anything that you want to debrief on or situations that you’re unsure of how to tackle? Or maybe you’ve already made some plans on managing the festive season, and you can share your plans and strategies with us!

So on Thursday, we always check in on how we’re all travelling. What are your goals for the upcoming weekend? What sort of strategies will you use to keep on track?

This weekend as a self-care strategy I’m going to try to spend some time outside, I’m going to do some gardening, go for a walk and listen to music or a podcast, and sit outside and read a nice book. Being outside is great for both physical health and mental health, which in turn can be very helpful during recovery. Does anyone incorporate being outside as a part of their self care and distraction toolkits? What sort of ways can you get outside this weekend?

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon,
    HelpfulBee :)
    1 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Hello everyone,

Don't the days just fly before Christmas and end of year? I am pretty sure Thursday was just a couple of days ago it seems. Thursday is a great time to check in with how your week went and preparing yourself for the weekend. It's certainly a good day to re-evaluate your goals and check in with yourself in terms of what has been working and what your triggers are while you are on the road to recovery.

How has your week been? What are your plans for the weekend?

Weekends can be so hard for many of us and also the holiday period. What have you got in place to help you over Xmas? What are your plans for New Years eve?

There have been some great ideas here, on the Discussion Board and it's awesome to see people supporting each other. What do people think of peer support? Research has shown peer support to be super helpful more so than just getting help with a professional or trying to get through it yourself.

Some extra supports, aside from this forum are 'Hello Sunday Morning' - an app for your smart phone. Has anyone heard of that one before?
    Here is the link that you can check out and maybe help you through this weekend to start off with:

https://hellosundaymorning.org/

Other people here have talked about urge surfing (see Camembert's post, one of the community builders) which is super useful and combined with mindfulness has been shown to be super effective in helping people recover and work through urges and triggers during their journey.
    Here is another link that you can check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWQXDxXg5U (a great little YouTube clip that goes for 3 mins)

https://www.regen.org.au/images/Educati ... iggers.pdf (a pdf doc that you can download around cravings/triggers)

Happy Thursday and Happy Weekend everyone and we are only a post away!
    0 x
    The Mythical Liverbird

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:22 pm

G'day everyone,

It's Thursday again, so I reckon it's a good time to check in on how everyone is travelling and what we can do to keep ourselves occupied and engaged on the weekend!

How's everyone's week been? I hope everyone else is ok, but I'd like you to know that if there's something you want to get off your chest, here is a great place to do it. We're all here to support each other.

What's everyone got planned for the weekend?

I was thinking now that we're in the middle of January, it might be a good time for everyone to get outdoors and spend a bit of time out in nature. I feel like we've all experienced the sense of calm and ease that can come with being among the flora and the fauna. Interestingly, all the research suggests that our brains are tuned to have exactly that reaction when we're among in among trees, mountains, beaches and rivers!

You might be surprised how many good walking trails there are within touching distance of home. This website lists a trifling 4000 of them, so it might be a handy way to start finding out.

https://www.alltrails.com/australia

I also want to touch briefly on the subject of rewarding yourself for resisting an urge to use this weekend. It's an often neglected thing, but rewarding yourself for sticking to your abstinence can be hugely important in installing the new behaviour into your brain. Because it teaches your brain that if you stick to your goals, there's going to be a good feeling at the end of it and that makes it all the more likely you'll do it again!

A reward doesn't have to be anything big. Small rewards can include things like a piece of cake, a nice meal, or just playing your favourite song. But even small things like that can have big effects on the way your brain responds to the next few weekends!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses. Remember, it's always good to go into the weekend with a plan!

My own plan for the weekend is to play cricket on Saturday and hopefully improve on the 0 I scored last time out. Sunday might be a walk in the sunshine as much as possible day!

Happy Thursday everyone!
    2 x
    Chickadee

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 pm

My weekend plans are

Friday having a ginger beer in the paddling pool after work. Then watch a movie while drinking sparkling water

Saturday park run 🏃‍♀️. Then hopefully heading to the coast for some beach time

Sunday maybe find an early morning trail walk and chillax in the pm .

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend
    2 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi [mention]Chickadee[/mention] ,

You have a very exciting weekend planned!

You seem very active, which I love! :D

Has being active helped you with staying sober?

What would you recommend to someone who was working on sobriety and wanted to become more active?

Looking forward to hearing from you and get some insight in to this and some tips and tricks too!

- HelpfulBee
    0 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Hey All!

It's already Thursday - can you believe it? I can't! It's nearly February!

On Thursday's we always check in around plans for staying sober for the weekend, as the good old saying goes 'fail to plan, plan to fail'.

So what are your goals this weekend? And what are you going to do to achieve them?

How will you manage that family BBQ? What will you say if someone offers you a drink, or asks why your not drinking anymore? How will you keep yourself busy or distracted when you experience urges? Who can you speak to if you need support? (Just some things to think about!)

I'm going to use this weekend to explore my own backyard, we're so lucky to be in Australia. There's so much to see and do!

Click here for a link to some ideas of things to do around Australia in January!

Looking forward to hearing your plans and getting some ideas of what to do this weekend!

Peace out - HelpfulBee :D
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 pm

That's a really interesting link [mention]HelpfulBee[/mention]

I'm usually planning to venture off into some exotic, far away destination. Thanks to COVID I'm forced to explore my own backyard, but have been at a loss on what to do... turns out there are plenty of interesting things to see and do right here!
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm

Hey Everyone!

On Thursday’s we always want to start thinking about how we’re going to manage out weekends.

Weekends can be hard for a variety of reasons, for some they’re challenging because they’re not at work so they have more time to themselves, others feel bored or lonely, or some find it difficult because they see people (or are in situations) that encourage their substance use. Everyone’s reason is different. What’s yours?

We know that planning is a really helpful strategy to manage weekends or any challenging situation for that matter. So, what will your plan for the weekend be? What sort of things can you do to keep yourself in a good headspace?

For me this weekend, I’m going to spend some time in the garden, go for a walk for an hour while listening to my favourite music, read some of my books, go for a delicious meal with friends, and put on a face mask. If I have time, I would love to do something creative or cook something new– these activities always puts me in a good mood. Laughter is the best therapy, so I would also like to watch some comedy routines on Netflix, and research roller blades so I can finally get some!

Creating the list above has been really helpful for me today. Sometimes when I don’t know what to do I feel a bit lost, so this has really given me some direction!

So, what sorts of things can you put on your plan for this weekend?

Can’t wait to hear your ideas!!!

-HelpfulBee :D
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Happy Thursday everyone and how is everyone going so far with the first week of February, 2021?

Things seem to be going back to normal even though we are back to wearing masks in Melbourne again. I guess this is just going to be part of our lives and it seems that we have already fallen into the habit without question - carrying a mask seems to be a natural progression and we find we don't even think about it as we walk out the door, checking to see if we have a clean mask in our bag. So you know where this is leading to right?!
    Our habits, doing an activity over and over again until we are on automatic rather than giving the activity space.
    There are two things here - one is to be mindful of an unwelcome automatic habit like drinking after work and the other one is to create a useful and ongoing habit for checking in Thursday night
    So every Thursday night (or afternoon) make a plan for the weekend on how you are going to keep yourself sober. Identify your main triggers and put at least 2-3 strategies into place when the trigger comes along - write these down, arrange your life for the weekend around keeping yourself motivated and staying on track.
    Think about a couple of triggers that you can work with and think about how strong you feel about implementing these strategies. Think about what has worked and which strategies didn't really work. Maybe for tonight give this a bit of oxygen and think about where you are at.... soon you will find that the Thursday night check-in becomes a useful and positive (automatic) habit and keeps you safe. Soon you won't even be cognizant of the fact that you are planning your weekend and keeping yourself sane and sober and happier !
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”