Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • New Years Resolutions 2021

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

New Years Resolutions 2021

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Happy New Year! everyone shouts at 12 midnight and we all hug each other and rush out to watch the Fireworks (or turn the TV up) and then have a celebratory drink, swearing that it will be the last one EVER.

...But how happy is 2021 going to be when our resolve slips and we find that our eager and motivational NY resolutions vanish by Day 5? Is it because we are putting the bar too high (excuse the pun) or are we being unrealistic in setting our goals for the New Year?

The plan may just be to follow the old adage - a day at a time and to set realistic goals - a good way to do this is to break it down into increments. So if your plan is to 'give up alcohol' then perhaps change this to 'giving up for a week.' Then, during this week, keep a diary for each day and note down anything you notice - your urges and cravings (note the time, place and what is going on at the time) and maybe note down too, when you are feeling strong, capable and better about yourself and not drinking.

So after you succeed in the first week of January, keep trying for the next week, the next month and so on. When you do lapse (and you probably will at some stage), don't be disappointed. Treat it like an experiment about yourself and keep notes on this too - and then reward yourself when you feel strong enough to stop again.

New Year and the first couple of weeks are important in setting the tune for the year - is this the year that you give up? Maybe. Is this the year you talk to your family/be a better friend/keep the garden looking good ? Sure, perhaps.... Is this the year where your relationship with yourself improves and you learn to love yourself - everything about you, even the challenges such as addiction. YES! 2021 is the year where you can look in the mirror and say, "I've got this," and mean it - acceptance of yourself and commitment to your challenge. And to tell yourself that you've got support where you need it (this forum, friends and family, your GP, your psychologist or counsellor) and most of all being open to change.

What has worked for you when you have made New Year Resolutions?
    Which ones didn't work?
    Were there any goals that surprised you and encouraged you to keep going? Sometimes these can be quite simplistic but effective.
    Who or what surprised you in a good way, something that you did not expect and ended up being a positive outcome?

I'm looking forward to hearing about your recovery goals and sharing your plans for next year - stay well everyone :)

2 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Re: New Years Resolutions 2021

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Great article @Leonarda !

I agree that it is important to set realistic goals that are achievable. More achievement = more confidence and motivation. It's also important to make sure the right supports are in place. Times of weakness will present, and it's important to know where to go when you need a helping hand.
    2 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am

Hi everyone Happy New Year! :) Great post @Leonarda . To kick things off I've definitely set up some NY resolutions for myself which is mainly around going low carb (I love bread and chips!) and trying to cut back on coffee. I drink way too much coffee and often leaves me feeling even more tired. The first few days was hard particularly with cravings but now I am on day 11! I was able to achieve this by finding healthier alternaties e.g. herbal tea :D

Would love to hear from others. What goals have you set yourself for 2021? How are you going with it?
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

You're braver than I @Bamboo [facilitator] ! I don't think I could live without my chippies and coffee.
    My New Year's resolution is to spend more time in the great outdoors. It took a long lockdown to remind me how important it is to be around nature. For some reason I want to try the paddle boarding where you stand up and row... no idea where that came from, but it does look like fun, and it looks relaxing....

How is everyone else going? Any goals for 2021? @Melbourne_Modular @Jas16 @Simply me @Cloudy @Ally22 @Boloum ??
    0 x
    Cloudy

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Wow what an inspirational post
    Here’s for an addiction free new year even if it is for a day or a week hopefully we can all help each other get through and continue on our journey together
    Cloudy
    3 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm

I know right @Cloudy !!!

This post is super inspirational and makes me very motivated too! :D

How is your 2021 going? What are you working on?

- HelpfulBee
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”