Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Share an inspiring or motivating quote

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Share an inspiring or motivating quote

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:29 pm

I’ve just shared in @initae89 's Day 0 thread about this and left them with one of my favourite Q&A’s………..”How do you eat and elephant?” The answer……….”One bite at a time”

It’s so easy to get overwhelmed and let the thought of forever or a week or even just a day get too much for you. When that feeling of being overwhelmed sets in the addiction starts to grow in power and can easily push you into a decision you don’t really want to make.

Breaking it down to “One step at a time. One day at a time. One hour at a time” just help simplify it………..I remember a few people in the detox breaking it down to a minute at a time when the urges were really strong. Every minute you can get through without using is a win………..it may just be the minute that that results in the overall win. You’ll never know if you give in and use though.

@BonsaiBeginner have you tried setting alarms on your phone and reading a list of reasons you don’t want to drink? Remind yourself at varying times of the day so that when that mid afternoon hits you reinforce with yourself why you don’t want to give in and drink.

Whatever is happening for you and no matter how bad it feels it will pass with time. In one minute, ten minutes, an hour, a day, a week, etc…………you’ll look back at getting through that period of time and realise that the thing you thought was the end of the world may just be the inspiration that proves you can get through the darkest hours without using.

Break it down, give it time………..sitting with discomfort is far better than undoing all your hard work and taking the easy way out. It’s not the easy way out either………..it’s the easy way back in to addiction.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time.
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:48 pm

This quote is so relevant to me @Peace Dove.

I remember that it wasn't until I really learnt to chunk things down that I was able to get anywhere in recovery.

It always felt so overwhelming the thought of stopping for a long time once I realised I had a problem. Its like I was setting myself up to fail everytime I tried to stop because I would put so much pressure on myself to never pick up again.

Then one day, in a NA meeting I heard somebody say that I could just not use for today. Then I could wake up tomorrow and make the same choice. That if I go to bed tonight and I haven't picked up then it's been a successful day whatever else happens. Framing it in this way helped me feel a sense of achievement each day and helped me to stop being so hard on myself.

On the more difficult days I could chunk it down even further. An hour at a time, five minutes at a time if I needed to. The fact that I knew that whatever I was going through would pass and I could get through little bit by little bit was a real game changer for me and I only learnt that through the process of doing it one day at a time.

It would be great to hear how this resonates with others :)
    4 x
    initae89

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks @Peace Dove and @ScorpionPW - That's how I've been living my past week. And admittedly, it gets easier. I've been going on evening walks with my partner and we've been cooking dinner together. We made pesto yesterday (first try!).
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 pm

That sounds delish @initae89! How did it turn out?

I found it so helpful to have creative outlets in recovery like cooking and music and other hobbies. I found it nice to experience the freedom and actually be able to take the time to make something nice which is something I would never bother doing in addiction.
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Hello everyone,

It's time to share an inspiring or motivating quote. Since we've had some posts lately about lapses, relapses and cravings, I'm hoping you'll find this quote motivating or inspiring:

"Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, and some exciting. But if you never turn the page, you will never know what the next chapter holds". - unknown

Whether we're experiencing a lapse/relapse, a lockdown, a break-up, a legal battle, unemployment or even homelessness, remember to keep flicking the page of your life stories. :)

Would love to hear your thoughts on this quote. Does it resonate to your journey? @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Katiee @apples123 @initae89 @WildeReformed @UltraViolet @Angel.w @EtherealAngel111 @zeusdreaming @embe @jonthanalejandro @chasityhd2 @BonsaiBeginner @Nugnug @OceanSky @Vh383 @Simply me @f00lish04 @epiphanyflower
    1 x
    Nugnug

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:07 pm

yes I agree with that metaphor. However my book seems to have this underlying storyline of addiction. There are lots of sub plots with many highs, and some lows, but the theme remains constant.
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 pm

I really like this one @Peace Dove...It reminds me not to live in fear. In the sense that I can't not do something that feels right in the moment, or take an opportunity or chase my dreams at the fear of what might/might not happen.

In addiction everything had to be just so, I had to know what was going to happen, when it was going to happen and who with. If I didn't feel like I was in control I couldn't do anything and I was so riddled with fear to the point where my life became so limited and so small.

In recovery I've been able to do things that were beyond my wildest dreams and have built such a wonderful, rich life and that's only because I learnt how to turn the page so to speak, without needing to try and control the outcome and trust the process of things.
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:32 pm

Yeah I like this one @Peace Dove ...............I almost brought my story to an early ending because I thought that every chapter was going to end up being the same story of addition and relapse with no hope...................I'm forever grateful I was able to just turn one more page to find out that there was a twist in my choose your own adventure novel that would take me to places and provide me with experiences once thought to be unimaginable.

I feel like we're sold this bullsh*t that life is meant to be a postcard of a beach holiday and that every day is meant to be the happiest day of your life. But that's not my experience. That's not how I've learnt to live my life. I've learnt to expect that there will be painful moments and there will be moments that you feel like you'll explode with utter joy.

Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking that I know how my story is going to unfold or at least how the next chapter is going to play out but I've learnt that that's not true either. The next plot twist could be just around the corner and I'll have no idea where it's going to take me.

All I know for sure is that it's worth keeping reading because it's full of amazing experiences.........and............there is the chance of the happy ending you never thought possible
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi everyone,

It's time to share an inspiring or motivating quote. :) Hopefully, the following quote helps us reflect a bit about our future selves.

“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Although our pasts are part of who we are in the present, they do not define who we become in the future. Every day is a new opportunity to build a better future for ourselves.

Does this resonate with your journey? What things can you do different to be closer to where you want to be? Where do you see yourself in the future and what are the steps you need to take to get there? @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Nugnug @Spyrina @Gabz.. @RinKin @Downward.Dingo @Enoughs enough @Simply me @Arteen @Wyatt103 @BonsaiBeginner @Runz @apples123 @WildeReformed @EtherealAngel111 @Katiee
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Great quote @Peace Dove ……..

“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
    …………………..

I’ve sat and thought about this for some time tonight. It appears I’m in a bit of a reflective mood…………….I really love this quote!

A few years ago this is the thinking that kept me going. I felt like I’d stripped away most of the baggage of years in addiction and was heading in a direction full of possibilities……….and I was okay with not knowing how that would turn out. I wasn’t letting fear stop me from trying new things. Prior to getting into this run of recovery I felt trapped, directionless and destined to be miserable…………all because addiction was sucking the life out of me, sending me deeper into depression and preventing me from being able to see the wonderful things that made up parts of my life.

When I walked out of rehab I left a lot behind. I had this attitude that I thought I’d lost forever……………..I knew that my attitude, my outlook, my perspective and my willingness were going to be key to a successful life. By successful I don’t mean money, cars, houses and holidays………I mean happiness. Happiness that comes from living a life that I enjoy. From the simple things. From living a life where my head, heart and gut are all in alignment. Where my values are in alignment with my behaviour. Where I’m the best father, friend, brother, son, uncle, ex-husband, employee I’m able to be.

This belief stemmed from my new attitude and living life a day at a time. Every day is an opportunity to do things differently and no matter what’s happened the day before I can still work towards my goals the next day. I’ve heard of 90 year olds going back to uni, jumping out of planes and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things………….why was I ready to give up on life at age 35????

I realised that I had still had a long life ahead of me and I was determined to spend it doing things I enjoy. If I sat back and believed I’d achieved all I could and was never going to be happy then that’s exactly where I’d end up…………….but if I believed I deserved and was capable of true happiness then that’s what would unfold for. If I spent every day working towards my goals then life would be great. Maybe I wouldn’t achieve them all but if I was doing my best to work towards them then I’d feel good ABOUT myself………..and it’s been a long time since I’d felt good about myself.

I’ve taken the easy way out too many times in my life and fallen into the negative mindset that goes with it. These days I’m living my destiny………..whatever that means. You see the truth is I don’t know where my life will end up taking me but I know that if I get up each day and try to be the best version of me I can be, get the most out of each day and treat people the way I’d like to be treated then I’ll be happy…………and if happiness is my destiny then I’m okay with that.

Fear prevented me from trying new things and being the man I thought I could be. Confronting fear and just doing things anyway has helped me work towards my destiny. I’m reminded of the saying “As you walk the way, the way appears”…………I don’t know what will happen in one minute, ten minutes or ten years from now………..but I do know that ahead of me is my destiny…………and that destiny is not predetermined. My actions each day have the ability to change the outcome of each day.

The final thing I’ll say about this quote is that it’s not about the job I’ll have, the possessions I’ll have or any of the other externals…………it’s about the person I’ll be………..and no matter what experiences come my way this will be determined by my actions.

Today I choose to be me…………my actions are my destiny.
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:47 pm

I really like this one @Peace Dove and I loved hearing how this resonated with you @PnorkelPW , my actions are my destiny...absolutely love that.

This quote reminds me that what recovery gives me is freedom of choice. That is, now that my thoughts and behaviours are no longer dictated by the drive of my addiction I have the freedom to make choices each day.

Before getting into recovery this was not the case. I felt like my addiction woke up before me in the morning, that it was waiting on the end of my bed ready to drive me towards whatever I needed to be driven towards to feed it that day. I became so powerless that I ended up feeling like an empty shell, a vessel that was completely controlled by the need to get on and use each day.

I remember meeting people who had been in recovery for a long time when I was first trying to get clean and their lives looked so shiny and successful. I could never picture things that they had in their lives for me, or didn't think it would be possible. It took me some time to realise that recovery doesn't promise any external success, but only freedom from active addiction.

It was through realising this that I realised I could wake up in the morning free from that thing waiting for me on the end of my bed. I could wake up, pause and choose what I was going to do that day. Now through my recovery journey I have made a lot of mistakes with this freedom of choice while having a go at living life.

It is through the trial and error of making new mistakes, discovering what my values are and how to align my behaviour with my values that I have discovered the person I am and want to continue to work towards being.

This discovery, the freedom of choice I have gained and the journey of trial and error through life is my destiny I suppose. I never really believed in having a "destiny" so to speak but I believe that if I let go of control and strive to do the next right thing I will end up somewhere that is far better than what I could possibly percieve for myself right now.
    3 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Hello everyone,

It's a beautiful day to share and inspiring or motivating quote. Today I want to share with you one of my favourite quotes of all times:

"There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope." - Bernard Williams

I like reading this quote whenever I'm going through a low moment to remind myself that any issue I might be experiencing is temporary. Does this quote resonate with you? @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Angelbrite7 @Tiiu @Spyrina @BFG123 @SilverSheep @vanillabunny @vm1004 @Uniquemaori01 @LarryJ @WildeReformed @Ready2102 @bertalc1 @rusty12 @brighter neupane
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 pm

This is a nice quote @Peace Dove...I can definitely relate to it now but would not have once upon a time.

I can remember a time, a very long time ago now, that I felt completely hopeless where things were very dark and I could not see a way out.

It wasn't until I actually met other people who had been through similar things as me and found a way out that I felt hope. That hope planted a seed and a belief that maybe, just maybe a better life would be possible for me.

Reflecting on that all these years later I have to pinch myself really. I have been in recovery for what feels like such a long time and I can now live with an underlying faith which never really falters. I can definitely relate to that quote in that I know that no matter what happens, I will be ok. If I make a mistake, if I end up in a painful spot, if things feel stressful or difficult to manage I know I will be ok. The evidence of my recovery shows me and continues to show me that if I just do the next right thing, reach out for help when I need to and make a commitment to stay in recovery I will always end up somewhere that is beyond my wildest dreams that I can't percieve right now.

It would be an understatement to say I am grateful to have developed an underlying sense that everything will be ok. It is a far cry from the hopless wreck I was when I got into recovery.

I'm keen to hear how this resonates for others :)
    1 x
    Dunk

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:45 am

Bad habits are easy to make, hard to break
    Good habits are hard to make, easy to break.
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 pm

I love that one @Dunk, it reminds me why recovery is only one day at a time.

It reminds me that even though I've been in recovery for more than 12 years that if I went and picked up that first drug that my addiction would re awaken.

To live my life joyous, happy and free all I have to do is not pick up the first one. Incredibly simple but not easy in the beginning :)
    1 x

Return to “Community Talk”