Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Share your self-care!

Lhiver
    Community Builder

Share your self-care!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:05 pm

The phrase “self-care” gets thrown around a lot, especially during recovery, but that’s because it really is a cornerstone of not only recovery but life in general! Spending just a few minutes a day being kind to yourself can make a world of difference. Self-care can look different for everyone. For some people it’s going for a run, for others it’s a chat with a friend, getting some tidying done around the house or practising mindfulness. Any small thing that gives you some time to take a breather, and look after yourself is important.

The importance of self-care has been well documented. A study of students in the US found that those who engaged in self care had a higher quality of life and reduced stress levels, and that the more varied the types of self-care were, the better the outcomes.

Every second Saturday we can come together and share any self-care you have practised this week, or some that you want to practice soon! Even if it was something small like filing your nails or practising a couple of minutes of mindfulness, anything is better than nothing! You might even want to try out the self-care practices that another community member shares.

So what does self-care look like for you?
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Share your self-care!

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:19 pm

my self care for this week was pretty house bound! I got to snuggle down with a book about the Bronte's which is really interesting! I've also been doing lots of cooing, which is helping me feel grounded and more prepared as I'm able to get my meals ready for the week which takes some pressure off

How about everyone else? what self care have you guys been engaging with?

@Tryingeveryday @Opdno47 @Ally878 @GretaG @WildeReformed @BonsaiBeginner @initae89 @ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @Peace Dove @requiem4me
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Hi @Lhiver,

This is such a great topic, thank you for bringing it up.

-Batch cooking: I also cook my meals for the week in advance as part of my self-care routine. It just saves so much time, helps me eat healthier and its also good money wise.
    -Dance and sing: Another things I do as self-care is dance and sing by myself in my home when no one is watching. The good old 'let your hair down' moment. :D
    -Catch-up with a friend once a week: Lockdown or not, I try to catch-up each weekend with at least one different friend from back home. It's really nice to see that some of my best friendships have only gotten stronger despite the physical distance. I also feel so buoyed up afterwards. 8-)

Would love to hear what are others self-care practices? @Alvarosyd @Simply me @Katiee @Deyfhob @apples123 @Starlee @Dontknowatall @OceanSky @CRAZYGRANNY @Keita
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 pm

Nice one @Lhiver .............life can spiral out of control pretty quickly without proper self care. It can take a long time to figure out what works and what doesn't but the important thing is to keep trying. During lockdown this is probably the area of my life that needs the most focus because it's dropped off dramatically and the domino effect it's had on my mental wellbeing has been significant. There have been changes in my physical and mental state and over time my motivation for self care has dropped off.

It's funny this has come up because yesterday I made a conscious decision to get back to self care to try and turn things around again. For me that means getting up early to exercise. With gyms opening again next week I want to get in front and hit the ground running............well it was actually walking this morning but you know what I mean. There's one thing I know for sure...........when I'm exercising in the morning I feel better about myself. Operate throughout the day better. Eat better. Treat people better. The positivity snowballs and leads to more energy and motivation in other areas of my life.

I too am a food prepper and get my week's meals ready on the weekend. Routine is important to me as well...........like getting home on Friday night and putting my washing on so that it's done for the weekend. I like to get things out of the way so it frees me up to enjoy the rest of the weekend without the boring house jobs hanging over my head.

Other things I do for my self care include playing golf, listening to music, watching a movie, going out for breakfast with friends or on my own and reading the Sunday paper, reading a book, gardening, sitting on my rock at the beach listening to the waves, getting a massage, going for a beach walk, a bushwalk, bang on my drums badly, spend time with my daughter, going to the movies, watching sports and yelling at the TV, cooking a nice meal, sipping a cup of tea, writing lists so I can stay organised, going to concerts and live music, seeing a play, I've been to a kirtan and chanted with 400 other people, tried yoga................the list goes on. Over time I've built up an arsenal that gives me things to fall back on...............but the most important thing in all that has been mindfulness and the ability to stay self aware enough to know when self care is needed.

Overall though the thing I've missed most through lockdown is flotation tanks...........they are amazing and I can't wait to get back to the darkness and let my mind and body reset their rhythm

Self care comes in so many forms.............I'd love to hear other people's self care options
    2 x
    Tryingeveryday

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:35 pm

Self care this week for me has been going to my GP and speaking with another female doctor I've had before. My regular one who knows about my history is off on leave and I couldn't postpone getting help any longer. I had been in tears about 8-12 times a day for the past 10 days before seeing her a few days ago.

I was extremely anxious on my way there and had a bit of an anxiety/panic attack. As soon as I walked in, I broke down after my first sentence and she really helped me through my emotions. She didn't judge my History and kind of made me feel better by saying, "You're stronger than someone who has never touched drugs because you've been through it and come out of it. You know what it feels like and you were able to give it up and not crave it anymore."

She put me on an a low-dose anti-anxiety medication, I've been on it for 5 days now and I feel so much better already. My fears, anxiety, nerves, worry and everything else is still there but just knowing I'm finally getting help and its off my chest had helped immensely.

Self care today has been cleaning my bed sheets, cleaning the house and my car to try and feel fresh again.
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 am

This week has been a very busy one for me as I have finished my studies and have started to get back into the flow of day to day life, so it's been extra important to stay on top of my self-care!

This week I've prioritised being social and seeing friends, while also maintaining me time. Having the balance getting getting out and spending a few hours with people I care about has made coming out of lockdown so much easier. But I'm making sure I keep an eye on my social meter and give myself rest when I need to! So basically, my selfcare has been working within my boundaries!

How about everyone else? @Tryingeveryday @johnno @Sweetstuff @Scubak @Raulgrod @NewHope @mylesduffy @weary_heart_restless_soul
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 pm

hello everyone! It's time again to share ourself care!

The past month has been pretty big and there have been a lot of changes, so I've been extra careful to make sure I'm giving myself proper time off to decompress!

This week I've been nice to myself by making sure I cook nice dinners and have some fun snacks at home. It's a small thing but it's always nice to have something tasty to look forward to!

How about everyone else? What nice little things have you been doing for yourself lately?

@OrangeFrog @Sage172 @Carasar @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Dunk @BonsaiBeginner @StevenTum
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Funny how the world works sometimes @Lhiver .............my self care needs some real attention at the moment and it's not all about fun stuff

One thing I need to do is set better boundaries around work and stop doing so much overtime. It's had a detrimental effect on my health but more importantly it's prevented me from doing the self care I need

By setting better work boundaries I can then start to go for a beach walk each night to switch off and reset..............might even be able to squeeze in a swim on some of the hotter nights???!!!

I have played a few games of golf recently so if I can keep that up I'll be on the right track

I need to make more time for friends and that's gonna be a focus for the new year...........time to direct my energy back in this direction so I stop feeling like I've alienated myself

Getting back into a morning exercise routine is going to be paramount moving forwards for my physical and mental wellbeing............improving diet will go hand in hand with this. My diet is pretty good overall but I gotta stop so many "treats" as a "reward".......................a reflection of addictive behaviours

Setting better boundaries with other people is going to be important and not falling into the people pleasing behaviours that have snuck their way back into my life of late

Getting some of the jobs I've been putting off around the house is important..............a coat of paint will do the walls some good but will be of even more benefit to my mind because it'll finally cross some items off my list

I'll get my car ready to sell and cross that off my list too

Taking some time off work over January to recharge the batteries will be real self care and making sure my laptop and work phone stay switched off will be real self care

And of course there's massages, floats, walks, fresh air, sunshine and time on my meditation rock.................but of most importance to me is going to be a better sleep routine. I've said it for years but recent events have magnified the need for this

So there are just a few of the things I'm going to try and implement for my self care..............thanks for the uncannily timely reminder @Lhiver
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 pm

This is indeed a great reminder @Lhiver...I have had to up the anti on my self care over the past week as well.

It's been a very strange time coming out of lockdown, and then my son going on a holiday for a couple of weeks I've found myself with so much spare time and feeling like there's a barrier between me and the rest of the world.

I've been eating well, exercising, studying, working, meeting all my commitments but also feeling quite lonely and displaced.

This week I've really made an effort to reach to people more and re connect with a recovery community which has helped a lot. I also give myself some credit for maintaining all of those things as I know my mental health would worse if I hadn't.

For me self care can often be about minor adjustments and allignments of balance. If I'm excelling in one area it seems there is another that requires attention, I continue to learn and discover what I need to be my best self as time goes on and I learn how to love, care for and respect myself.

I'd love to hear what other people are doing for self care! :)
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:14 am

Hey hey everyone! It's that time o the week again to come together and share our self care!

Self care can often be an overused word, but throughout this journey it is important to have ways of checking in with yourself and being kind to you!

This week my self care is a bit broad, I need to start getting better at setting boundaries with people and not placing other people's worry above my own. Having boundaries is so so important for anyone, whether it be with friends, partners, family or colleagues it allows us to ensure that our relationships our balanced and even and we are not constantly at a heightened emotional state.

SO what is everyone else doing for themselves right now?

@ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @Starlee @Stormikay.xo @Djarrimiri @Dawn3195 @Sloop @Freddy Fastlabend
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:36 pm

Love that @Lhiver ...................boundaries have played a major role in the start to my year and the difference I've felt has been significant. I hope you can manage yours and reap the benefits.

I was just reading over my post from a few weeks ago and I think I'm off to a good start with the self care I was hoping to put in place. As part of that I'm heading away to the border tomorrow with my daughter for a few days and new experiences. I've bought us both kayaks which we can use up there but also use moving forwards. I've wanted one since I moved close to the beach almost two years ago but have been so focused on saving money I've been afraid to spend it. By having that attitude I've restricted what I've been able to do but one of my intentions for this years is "Investment in Self". Buying the kayaks is an investment in self because it's something I can do that's good for mind, body and spirit. It gets me fresh air, is a reward for the hard work, will build strength and give me experiences because I can take it to new places.

Getting away for more weekends is high on my priority list. Nature plays a big part in my self care but I get bored by going to the same places all the time so need to mix it up. Camping is going to play a role in this too.

What I haven't been able to address as well as I would like as yet is my sleep but that's another reason I'm going away. I need to break the bad routine I have going so I'm hoping the trip will result in some early nights, early rising and feeling better. Sleep plays a big part in weight loss too so if I can continue to work on my diet and exercise and then add good sleep in there I'll be doing well. I've been looking after diet and exercise in the last couple of weeks and have lost 3kg. 10kg more and I'll be where I want to be and my recent change of gyms has been good for me. I'm just trying to work out how to fit karate back into my week as well and I'll be happy.

I've been to a couple of AA meetings over the last few weeks for the first time in over three years and they are going to form part of my self care moving forwards. I wouldn't be in the position I'm in with my recovery without them but for my own reasons I stepped away for a few years. I've felt a great deal of benefit from the meetings I've been too though so I'd be crazy not to fit them back into my routine.

A major change has been deleting the dating apps from my phone. I need to get myself right for a while and get back on track. Dating has been having a negative impact on my attitude and behaviours resulting in me getting out of alignment so this is an important change for me. So far I've felt a significant mental freedom since backing off.

That word change is going to be a part of my self care too.............if something isn't serving me then I'll make change. It's going to take time but I'm determined to carve out a life that has me feeling balanced and grateful. If I keep things simple and stop trying to overcomplicate life by getting my needs and wants mixed up this is achievable. I've been there before..........I've just drifted away. Time to get back on track and ensure self care is at the top of my list of priorities.

People talk about self care as being meditation and going for a walk but it's soooooo much more than that. It's doing the things that give you life purpose, give you a sense of achievement and allow you to be fully immersed in the moment. That's my intent moving forwards and by setting stronger boundaries with myself and others I reckon it's all well and truly achievable.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 pm

Love what you said about boundaries @Lhiver! It's so important to find balance with that stuff so we're not giving from an empty tank.

It's great to hear that you're gaining some traction with your weight loss as well @PnorkelPW I always admire your insight into the adjustments you need to make in your recovery.

Since getting back from leave and having to work from home again I've definitely fallen into some loneliness and feeling disconnected. I think the most important thing this week will be connecting with some friends over the next few days, getting a meeting in or two as well. I might be moving in with one of my best mates as well in Upwey which I'm excited for the possibility, it would be great to live close to nature, save a lot of money and be living with one of my best mates again.

This is such a great reminder and I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to reflect on this as it's so important to pause and reflect on what self care adjusments need to be made. I hope some other people share what their self care is looking like, I always get so much from hearing other peoples nice things they are doing for themselves :D
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:35 am

hello everyone!

For this weekend's activity it's time to share our self care!

The start of this year has been a rough one for me with illness so my self-care has been making sure I listen to my body and get the actual rest I need. It sounds simple enough but I am someone who will just keep going until I collapse and have realised that that approach doesn't help at all and ends up leaving me worse off!

@ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @Dean P @Orangegrove @cm125 @jks33 @Nicknak @CreativeUsername @jarrodm @Deyfhob @Simple Country Girl @initae89

I'd love to hear from all of you!
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:37 pm

Hahahahaha @Lhiver ................I hear ya about pushing until collapse and learning the hard way. I've actually been trying to listen to my body more of late too.

Self care for me lately has been about getting out in the sun and enjoying the simple things. I've been dog sitting a friend's dog for a couple of weeks and it's been awesome to help me find some routine again. Having something force me out of bed at 5.30am has helped me get in the rhythm and I'm hoping when he's gone later this week the morning dog walks will be replaced by morning gym sessions without the struggle to get out of bed. I've let my lawns go wild because I've been concentrating on fun stuff but self care next weekend might involve mowing the lawns so I feel better about that.

Sleep has been another one and I've finally been getting 6 - 8 hours per night on a regular basis which has been amazing for my overall wellbeing and productivity throughout the day. Catching up with friends has been a bit of a priority too.

Last year I did a phenomenal amount of overtime but this year I've focused on walking out of work at 5 pm every day and it's made a huge difference!

I've enrolled back in karate too but won't get there till next week but it's an interest that will be good for me physically, mentally, spiritually, and socially so I'm looking forward to that. And I've got out for a kayak which is a new interest and gets me plenty of fresh air.

There's a it there but the main thing has been about investing back in myself. In the things that help me feel better about myself and have long term benefits.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:32 pm

I've loved reading about your self care @Lhiver and @PnorkelPW!

I also need to be careful not to overdo it at work, especially now that we are more busy than ever before I'm really having to practice keeping it in the day and accepting what I'm capable of getting done in a day.

A big one for me has been keeping on going with my training program and going to bed earlier, I feel so much better as a result of actually getting enough sleep, who would of thought!? :roll: :lol:

Over the past few weeks I have been making a real effort to connect with some friends again and not spend so much time alone as I'm sure many of us got used to through COVID. This has helped my mental health, loneliness and general perspective so, so much. I always find it interesting how it so often comes back to connection for me.

I'd love to hear others journey with self care :)
    1 x

Return to “Weekend activities!”