Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • New start?

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Ranger'sfan

New start?

Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:37 pm

69 years of age, retired due to ill health, live alone (divorced), drink 5-6 bottles of Whisky per week, spending over $900 per month. I've been drinking all my adult life but never to this level. Want to stop and need help.
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Re: New start?

Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Hi @Ranger'sfan,
    Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing!
    Carrying this alone can be difficult. I am glad you shared this with us here. Feel free to post as often and whenever you want in here.
    I have included some resources in the welcome email we sent you. Just some information about counselling and peer support service (Smart Recovery) to give you a direction to start. I have also tagged our peer workers in this reply to see if they have some suggestions about where and how you can start the journey! @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi @Ranger'sfan, thanks so much for being so open and honest about where you're at.

I remember feeling so alone in my addiction, especially towards the end.

Is this the first place you've reached out or have you tried to get help before?

Also, a great place to start is to talk to your GP to get some advice on how to detox safely. When I was drinking so much this was so important for me because I had no idea how risky it was stopping without the right medical support.

Remember, we're always here if you want to reach out, I hope you continue to share with us here on the forums :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi @Ranger'sfan and thanks for sharing with us. I agree with @ScorpionPW's advice of talking with your GP and a Drug and Alcohol counsellor. They'll be able to work with you on identifying your goals and plan a safe way of working towards them.

My body was dependent on alcohol for a long time. A couple of times I decided to detox myself and it's an experience I wouldn't recommend trying. Making the change you want to is possible but doing it alone is damn near impossible.

What are your thoughts on talking to your GP and finding a drug and alcohol counsellor?
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”