Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Drinking everynight

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Billy1994

Drinking everynight

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:05 pm

I feel like the idea of an alcoholic is someone who wakes up and starts drinking and is obviously drunk all the time. But it doesn't have to look like that.
    I drink everynight, Im high functioning, working, studying but its starting to take its toll. Constantly looking up how long i can keep doing this until i do permanent damage. Every morning i feel guilty and tell myself i wont drink today but by the time its the afternoon i can justify drinking. I dont know how to stop without getting someone to tie me down or something so that i cant.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Re: Drinking everynight

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi @Billy1994 welcome to our forum. Yes there's definitely an idea of what an alcoholic is or looks like and that's often associated with the stigma that's attached to this idea. When in reality a person that has an issue with alcohol can be highly functioning, attend work, be in a relationship, have a family etc. Did you happen to see "Addicted Australia" on SBS? It definitely addresses this idea and the way we need to re-think addiction.

Good on you for reaching out and wanting to make a change :)

Have you had a look at our Making a Change and Self-help modules? See here & here.

We also run Monday Meetups weekly 8pm - 10pm, a casual catch up with members to check-in on progress and how things are tracking. Feel free to join us some time.

What have you got on for today?
    1 x
    Billy1994

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:59 pm

thanks!
    just doing uni until i need to nap.
    stayed up too late last night drinking and now Im exhausted trying to watch lectures.
    Ill check out that SBS video tho sounds interesting
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Sounds good @Billy1994 :) Let us know how you go and what you think of the Addicted Australia documentary. FYI it's a 4 episode series and explores the lives of 10 brave Australians and their families recovering from addiction. A real eye opener for many into their journey and what that looks like.
    0 x
    Shiraz67

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 pm

I am high functioning at work, but I failed my first unit in a Masters Degree because as soon as I get home I pour a wine, then another one until the bottle is gone. There goes the study. I am dependent on alcohol, but know with help I can stop.
    2 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Not sure if l'm taking part correctly, it's so interesting to hear someone else who functions properly through the day, l too have a very busy full-time job, but l drink every night, as soon as l touch the wine my night is over. I don't get to eat the food lve prepared, l don't get to make any cake decorations, l just sit on the couch and drink until l'm sure l will be unconscious for the rest of the night, my house is a pigsty, l want to clean it instead of drinking, then l will be comfortable having my family over for dinner or lunch. Please, it's hard but you only have to do something for one day, hopefully each day will be easier, l'm trying very hard not to project, just stay in the now, good luck
    2 x
    TheDees

Mon May 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi @Shiraz67 , How are you going? Have you been able to get back into your study? Thanks for your post, sounds like other can really relate to functioning really well during the day and then things take a bit of a downward turn in the evenings.
    Glad you feel confident you can turn things around with a little bit of help :)
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”